Main Article Content
This research was a quasi-experimental research to study the effect of self-management program on health behaviors and glomerular filtration rates of type 2 diabetes patients with stage III chronic kidney disease. The forty purposive samples were chosen from type 2 diabetes patients with stage III chronic kidney disease from Thongsankhan hospital in Uttaradit Province. The experimental groups received self-management support programs based on the concept of Lorig (Lorig & Holman, 2003). It consisted of 3 elements for 12 weeks as follows: the first had self-efficacy support for self-management, the second had Self-management and the third had monitoring and supporting self-management support. The research tools included glomerular filtration rate measurements and health behaviors questionnaires. The data was analyzed statistics using frequency percentile, mean, standard deviation, Paired t-test and Independent t – test.
The findings were that the health behavioral average score of the experimental group, who participated in the self-management support program and the glomerular filtration rate average score of the experimental group after participation in the self-management program, was significantly higher than before participation in the program (p<.05). A comparison between groups found that health behavior and the glomerular filtration rate average of the experimental group was significantly higher than the control group (p<.05).
These results suggest that a self-management support program can improve health behaviors and the glomerular filtration rate of type 2 diabetes patients with stage 3 chronic kidney disease. Therefore, nurses and health care providers should implement self-management support programs for these patients.
Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Uttaradit Journal attribution-non-commercial 4.0 international (CC BY-NC 4.0). For more detail please visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ . The ideas and opinions expressed in the Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Uttaradit are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the editor .
2. Angboonta, P. (2554). Self-management supporting program; Self-management behaviors; Hemoglobin A1C level; Elders with diabetes mellitus type 2. Journal of Chiang Mai Nursing, 39(3), 93-104. (in Thai)
3. Bodenheimer, T., Lorig, K., Holman, H. & Grumbach, K. (2002). Patient self-management of chronic Disease in primary care. Journal American Medical Association, 288(19), 2469-2475.
4. Chanthawong, S. (2013). Effects of a self-management supporting program on self- management behaviors and serum lipid level among elders with dyslipidemia. A thesis submitted in partial fulfillment of the requirement for the degree of master nursing, Adult Program in nursing, Faculty of nursing, Chiang Mai University. (in Thai)
5. Chuasuwan, A. & Praditpornsilpa, K. (2013). Thailand renal replacement therapy 2013. Retrieved from https://www.nephrothai.org/images/TRT-Annual- report/Annual-Report-Thailand -Renal-Replacement-Therapy-2013.pdf.
6. Diabetes Association of Thailand, Endocrine Society of Thailand, Department of Medical Services, Ministry of Public Health And the National Health Security Office. (2014). Practical approach for diabetes. Bangkok: Sri Muang Printing. (in Thai)
7. Ekkplakorn, V. (2016). Thai people's health survey by physical examination, 5th 2014. Nonthaburi: The Grafico Systems Company Limited. (in Thai)
8. Embrey, N. (2006). A concept analysis of self - management in long-term conditions. British Journal of Neuroscience Nursing, 10(2), 507-513.
9. Faul, F., Erdfelder, E., Lang, A.-G., & Buchner, A. (2007). G*Power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences. Behavior Research Methods, 39(2), 175-191.
10. Lorig, K. R. & Holman, H. (2003). Self–management education: History definition outcome and mechanisms. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 26(1), 1-7.
11. National Health Security Office. (2559). Management of preventative services and prevention of chronic diseases. Bangkok: Thana Press Co. Ltd. (in Thai)
12. Srisawat, P. (2007). Glycated hemoglobin standardization. Technical Doctor Journal, 35(1), 63-66. (in Thai)
13. Seesawang, J. (2014). Effects of self-management support programs on hypertensive elderly. Ramathibodi Nursing Journal, 20(2), 179-192. (in Thai)
14. Thadsaeng, B. (2013). Effects of a self-management supporting program on self-management behaviors and blood pressure among elders with hypertension. A thesis submitted in partial fulfillment of the requirement for the degree of master nursing, Adult Program in nursing, Faculty of nursing, Chiang Mai University. (in Thai)
15. Thungthong, S. (2015). Effects of self-management support programs for diabetic retinopathy self-management behaviors and clinical outcomes in type 2 diabetes patients uncontrol blood sugar levels. Songklanagarind Journal of Nursing, 35(1), 67-84. (in Thai)
16. Uttaradit Provincial Health Office. (2559). Chronic disease information system in Uttaradit province the rate of diabetic complications in 2016. Uttaradit: Uttaradit Provincial Health Office. (in Thai)