Main Article Content
This descriptive research by longitudinal study aimed to study the development of gerontological nursing competencies among nursing students in Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Songkhla. Sample was 111 nursing students group 51 throughout the 4 year period. Simple random sampling was used. Research instrument was a questionnaire including 41 items. Reliability of the questionnaire was tested using Cronbach’s alpha coefficient yielding a value of 97. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, repeated measure ANOVA and test pairs by Bonferroni method. The results showed that;
The gerontological nursing competencies among nursing students at Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Songkhla has improved with statistical significance at level of .001. The average score while studying in Year 4 is higher than when studying Year 1, 2 and 3.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Uttaradit Journal attribution-non-commercial 4.0 international (CC BY-NC 4.0). For more detail please visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ . The ideas and opinions expressed in the Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Uttaradit are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the editor .
2) Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Songkhla. (2019). Action plan 2019 fiscal year. Copy print.
3) Cohen, J. (1977). Statistical power analysisfor the vehavioral vciences. Rev ed. New York: Academic Press.
4) Cronbach, L. J. (1951). Essentials of psychological testing. (3rd ed). New York: Harper & Row.
5) Council on social Work Education. (2015). Geriatric social work competency scale II with life-long leadership skills: social work practice behaviors in the field of aging. Retrieved (2019, April 9) from http://www.cswe.org/
6) Department of Provincial Administration, Ministry of Interior. (2020). Elderly in 77 Province Thailand at 31 December 2019. Retrieved (2020, April 9) from http://www.dop.go.th/th/ know/1/275.
7) Eliopoulos, C. (2014). Gerontological nursing (8th ed). Philadelphi: Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
8) Ismail Azizi-Fini, Ali Hajibagheri & Mohsen Adib-Hajbaghery. (2015). Critical thinking skills in nursing students: a comparison between freshmen and senior students. Nursing Midwifery Study, 4(1), e25721.
9) Mohamadreza Mansouri Arani, Sanaz Aazami, Milad Azami & Milad Borji. Assessing. (2017). Attitudes toward elderly among nurses working in the city of Ilam. International Journal of Nursing Sciences, 4(3) 311 – 313.
10) Nanasilp, P. (2015). Gerontological nursing’s core knowledge: who are the older persons, determinant by age or other factors?. Nursing Journal, 42(Special issue), 156-162. (in Thai).
11) Nawsuwan, K., Singhasem, P.& Naksrisang, W. (2017). Necessary competencies in caring for older people among registered nurses when entering aging Society. Nursing Journal of The Ministry of Public Health, 27(1), 1 – 11. (in Thai).
12) Nawsuwan, K., Singweratham, K.& Thanyaphon, S. (2018). Factors influence to the gerontological nursing competencies in nursing students. Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Uttaradit Journal, 10(1), 56 – 68. (in Thai).
13) Peerayanant, S. & Patharanarakul, P. (2016). A study of policy and strategic measures of providing welfare for the Thai aging aociety. SDU Research Journal, 12(3), 19 – 37. (in Thai).
14) Singhasam, P., Nawsuwan, K., Suwanraj, M. & Jamtim, N. (2016). Developing indicators of gerontological nursing competencies among nursing students in Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Songkhla, The Southern College Network Journal of Nursing and Public Health, 3(3), 15 – 34. (in Thai).
15) Singhasem, P., Nawsuwan, K. & Sakkarin, S., (2019). Development of an instructional model to enhance gerontological nursing competencies among nursing students. Journal of Health Science, 28(Special), 65 – 78. (in Thai).
16) Thailand Convention & Exhibition Bureau. (2019). Elderly population and future trends. Retrieved (2020, April 9) from https://intelligence.businesseventsthailand.com/th/insight/ aging-trends-01-th
17) The American Association of Colleges of Nursing. (2010). Recommended baccalaureate competencies and curricular guidelines for the nursing care of older adults. a supplement to the essentials of baccalaureate education for professional nursing practice. New York: New York University, College of Nursing.
18) Türgay, A.S., Şahin, S., Şenuzun Aykar, F., Sari, D., Badir, A. & Canli Özer, Z. (2015). Attitudes of Turkish nursing students toward elderly people. European Geriatric Medicine, 6(3), 267 – 270.
19) World Health Organization. (2018). Ageing and health. Retrieved (2020, April 9) from https://www. who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/ageing-and-health