Main Article Content
This research was a quasi-experimental study aiming to investigate the effects of clinical nursing practice guidelines for head injury in the emergency care unit at Uttaradit Hospital. The Samplings included 15 professional nurses who operated at the emergency care unit and the 60 of patients with head injury at the emergency care unit at Uttaradit Hospital. Moreover, the patients were divided into two groups; one as the controlled group containing of 30 patients receiving regular care, and the other of 30 as the experimental group receiving clinical nursing practice guidelines for head injury. The main instrument used in the study was the clinical nursing practice guidelines for head injury. In addition, the implementation of the instruments for data collection of this research were 1) evaluation of nursing record, 2) observing records for nursing staff, and 3) the satisfaction of nursing staff toward the clinical nursing practice. The statistic analysis was performed with frequency, percentage, and t-test.
The findings from the study revealed that:
1) the scores of accuracy in nursing practice for patients with head injury after implementation of the clinical nursing practice guidelines increased from 55.13 to 81.82 with statistical significance (p<.01)
2) the scores of accuracy in observing records of nursing staff for patients with head injury after implementation of the clinical nursing practice guidelines increased from 55.86 to 82.52 with statistical significance (p<.01)
3) the satisfaction of nursing staff toward the implementation was in a high level (x̄ = 4.33, SD = .58)
The results of this study gave the nursing practice guidelines for patients with head injury. And point out that the nursing practice should be used in the ward. This will result in effective care for patients with head injury.
Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Uttaradit Journal attribution-non-commercial 4.0 international (CC BY-NC 4.0). For more detail please visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ . The ideas and opinions expressed in the Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Uttaradit are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the editor .
2. Chuenjun, N. (2012). The nursing management of clinical nursing practice guideline in assessing the traumatic brain injury patients at traumatic unit at the tertiary level Hospital in Suphanburi Province. Graduate School Christian University of Thailand. (in Thai)
3. Katsakun, A., Thosingha, O. & Chayaput, P. (2011). Factors predicting injury outcome in emergent Phase among adults with traumatic injuries. Thai Journal of Nursing Council, 26 (4), 30-42. (in Thai)
4. Munkong, S. & Atthamaethakul, W. (2014). Development of clinical nursing practice guideline for complications preventing from head injury in Ratchaburi Hospital. Journal of Nursing and Education, 7(3): 62-70. (in Thai)
5. Namkoa, T., Chitsungnoen, S. & Boonkong, N. (2013). Development of clinical nursing practice guideline of warning sign assessment for traumatic patients at traumatic department, Maharat Nakorn Ratchasima Hospital. Journal of Nurse’ Association of Thailand, North-Eastern Division, 31 (3): 163-169. (in Thai)
6. National Health and Medicine Research Council (NHMRC). (1999). How to put the evidence into practice. Retrived january 1, 2018, from https://www.cochrane.org/Cochranerevabstr/g100index.htm
7. National Health and Medicine Research Council (NHMRC). (1998). A guide to the development, implementation and evaluation of clinical practice guideline. Retrived january 1, 2018, from https://www.health.gov.au/nhmrc/publication/pdf/cp.30/pdf
8. Panthong, W.& Pakapong, Y. (2013). Development of a clinical nursing practice guideline for the assessment of mild head injury patients in emergency room. Journal of Phrapokklao Nursing College, 24(1), 44-56. (in Thai)
9. Punjaisee, S., Phuenpathom, N. & Veerasarn, K. (Editor). (2013). Clinical practice guidelines for tramatic brain injury. Bangkok: Thana Press and Graphics. (in Thai)
10. Songwathana, P. (2012). Continuing process in trauma care. Princess of Naradhiwas University Journal, 4 (2), 102-114. (in Thai)
11. Sombut, N. (2013). Effect of clinical nursing practice guideline for preventing ventilator associated pneumonia in neonatal intensive care Unit. Graduate School Khon Kaen University. (in Thai)
12. Slovensky, D. J., & Paustian, P. E. (2002). Training the adult learner in health care organizations. In P. L. Spath (Ed.), Guide to effective staff development in health care organizations (pp.100- 104). New York: The Jossey-Bass.
13. Suwanpitak, W., Vipavakarn, S. & Prakeetavatin, B. (2018). Development of clinical nursing practice guideline for patients with mild traumatic brain injury in Krabi Hospital. The Southern College Network Journal of Nursing and Public Health, 4 (2): 140-156 (in Thai)
14. Thongchai, C. (2005). Clinical practice guidelines development. The Thai Journal of Nursing Council, 20 (2), 63-76. (in Thai)
15. Uttaradit Hospital. (2017). Uttaradit Hospital statistics, 2017. Uttaradit Hospital Ministry of Public Health. (in Thai)