Main Article Content
The aim of this research and development (R&D) project was to develop a community-based health promotion model for Karen ethnic elderly at risk of hypertension, Sirm-Ngarm District, Lampang province. The development process was composed of 3 phases: Phase 1: Problem identification; Phase 2: Model development and implementation; Phase 3: Model evaluation. Data was collected through questionnaires and in-depth Interview. The study was undertaken during June 7th – December 10th, 2017. Descriptive analysis, Chi-square test, Pearson’s correlation coefficient and Paired t-test were used for quantitative data analysis. Content analysis was used for analyzing qualitative data.
The result showed that 41.9% of Karen ethnic elderly were at risk of developing hypertension, 20.3% were overweight, 94.6% did not exercise properly, 91.8% did not manage stress appropriately, 86.5% engaged in inappropriate food and diet behaviours, and 93.2% had poor knowledge about hypertension. The health promotion model for Karen elderly at risk of hypertension involved the process of stakeholder participative planning and implementation through appreciation influence control or AIC techniques with 40 Karen elderly people at risk of hypertension. After participation in the health promotion model, the Karen elderly participants had significantly higher knowledge about hypertension (p <.001) and demonstrated significantly better behaviours concerning food and diet, exercise and stress management (p <.001). This community-based health promotion model seemed to be effective in improving knowledge and health promoting behaviours among Karen elderly at risk of hypertension and may be applied with Karen elderly at risk of hypertension in other settings with similar contexts.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Uttaradit Journal attribution-non-commercial 4.0 international (CC BY-NC 4.0). For more detail please visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ . The ideas and opinions expressed in the Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Uttaradit are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the editor .
2. Kooariyakul, A. & Meesri, C. (2015). Knowledge and self-care behavior of hypertension at Tambon Pasao Health Promotion Hospital, Amphur Muang, Uttaradit Province. Boromarajonani college of Nursing Uttaradit Journal,9 (2), 28-40. (in Thai).
3. Lampang Provincial Health Office. (2014). Strategic plan for health promotion for the elderly. Development Group Public Health Strategy Lampang Provincial Health Office.
4. Phatban, M., Khatti, B., Phuangnal, P. (2014) .The project evalution of promoting of community participation in reduces risk of diabetes and hypertention in Nam Pad District, Uttaradit, Fiscal year 2012. Boromarajonani college of Nursing Uttaradit Journal, 6 (2), 46-56. (in Thai).
5. Prapapen, S. (2001). Behavioral Sciences. Health behavior and health education. Bangkok: Chao Phraya Printing. (in Thai).
6. Soem Kwa sub-district administration. (2016). Population statistics from Soem Kwa sub-district demographic data, Soem Ngam, 2016. Lampang: Bureau of Permanent Secretary, Soem Kwa sub-district Administration, Soem Ngam District, Lampang, Province. (in Thai).
7. Soem Kwa sub-district Health Promotion Hospital (2016). Report on elderly Status of Soem Kwa sub-district, lampang province, 2016. Lampang, Province: Soem Kwa sub-district Health Promotion Hospital. (in Thai).
8. Soem Ngem District Health Office. (2016). Report on elderly status in Soem Ngam district, lampang, province, 2016: Soem Ngem District Health Office. (in Thai).
9. Suamkua subdistrict administration organization. (2016). Population statistics from Suamkuasubdistrict population Suamngam District 2559 Office of the Permanent Secretary Suamngam Lampang. (in Thai).
10. Suree, J. (2000). Health strategies. (3rd edition). Bangkok: Charoen Wit printing. (in Thai).
11. Thanin, S. (2007). Writing and analyzing statistical data with SPSS.Bangkok: V-Inter Printing.(in Thai).