Main Article Content
Grandmother in family with daughter as adolescent mother have many problems, including role transition, confrontation with cultural values and social norms in negative aspect.This descriptive qualitative research was aimed to describe experiences of women to become a grandmother in the family with an adolescent mother.Purposive sampling was used to recruit a sample of 15 women being a grandmother who have an adolescent mother in their family in the Central Region with their 12 months old baby or younger.The grandmothers must raising or participate in caring for their grandchildren since the baby was borned. Data were collected by using In-depth interview and non participating observations were used to collected data. Content analysis method was applied for data analysis.
The results revealed three core categories: one positive and two negative themes. The positive core category was overcome the problem consisting of four subcategories of a valuable experience, family learning, remedies for what happened, and a more mature teenage mother. Two of negative themes were 1) the family's stigma containing three subcategories of karma (Vein-Kham), must endure the eyes of contempt, painful feeling when asked; and 2) Everything needs to be adjusting of two subcategories of changing to extend family and increase family expenses.
Perceptions of being a grandmother as a parent, in the context and values of Thai society, have positive and negative aspects. Therefore, supportive system for women with teenage mother need in order to encourage Thai families to be effectively in raising their children.
Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Uttaradit Journal attribution-non-commercial 4.0 international (CC BY-NC 4.0). For more detail please visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ . The ideas and opinions expressed in the Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Uttaradit are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the editor .
2. Bureau of reproductive health, department of health. (2016, July 15). Reproductive health situation in adolescence and youth in 2016. Retrieved from https://rh.anamai.moph.go.th/more_nnew.php?cid=1&filename=index (in Thai)
3. Cook, G.A.& Roggman, L.A.(2010). Three-generation attachment: How grandmothers and mothers contribute to children’s attachment security. Family Science, 1 (2), 112 - 122.
4. Elo, S., & Kyngas, H. (2007).The qualitative content analysis process.JAN: Research Methodology, 107-115.
5. Giugliani, E.R.A., Nunes, L.M., Issler, R.M.R., Santo, L.C., and Oliveira, L.D.(2017, August 1). Involvement of maternal grandmother and teenage mother in intervention to reduce pacifier use: a randomized clinical trial. Journal de Pediatria, Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jped.2017.12.011
6. Lincon, Y.S., and Guba, E.G. (1985). Naturalistic inquiry.Beverly Hills, CA: Sage.
7. Mercer, R.T. (1995). Becoming a mother: Research on maternal role identity from Rubin to the present. USA: Springer publishing company.
8. Pansuwan, K. (2015). Quality of life among Postpartum Adolescents mothers in TambonMuang, Kamphaeng Phet Provience. Journal of Nursing and Health Science, 9(2), 1-9. (in Thai)
9. Pansuwan, K. & Sinarakud, T. (2016). Effect of the gagne based - contraceptive-instructional model on learning achivement for postpartum adolescents in Phichit hospital. Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Uttaradit Journal, 8(2), 37-46. (in Thai)
10. Pungbangkadee, R. and Ratinthorn, A. (2014). Factors and consequences of repeat pregnancy among teenagers: A case study in Bangkok metropolis. Journal of Nursing Science, 32 (2), 23-31. (in Thai)
11. Punsuwun, S., Sungwan, P., Monsang, I. and Chaiban P. (2012).Experiences after pregnancy among unmarried adolescents in upper north. Songklanagarind Journal of Nursing. , 33(3), 17-36. (in Thai)
12. Rosengard, Cynthia, Pollock, Lealah, Weitzen, Sherry, Meers, Ann, and Phipps, Maureen G. (2006).Concepts of the advantages and disadvantages of teenage childbearing among pregnant adolescents: A qualitative analysis. Pediatrics, 118(2), 503-510.
13. Sangpraseart, A., Klayjun, P., and Masukkampheangjinda. (2014). The relationship between perceived self-efficacy and postpartum self-care behaviors in adolescent mothers. Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Uttaradit Journal, 6(1), 1-11. (in Thai)
14. Seamark, C.J. & Lings, P. (2004).Positive experiences of teenage motherhood: a qualitative study. British Journal of General Practice, 813-818.
15. Suktouryat, W. (2008).Lessons learned from reflection of female school drop-outs with unwanted pregnancy. Independent study master of education, department of educational psychology and Guidance, graduate school Chiang Mai university, Chiang Mai. (in Thai)
16. Yakasem, P. (2015). Becoming a Thai adolescent mother. dissertation doctor of philosophy in nursing science, graduate school, Burapha university. (in Thai)
17. Yakasem, P. and Chaiyasung, P. (2014).Experiences of becoming a teenage mother. Journal of Health Science Research,8(1), 28-34. (in Thai)
18. Zeiders, K.H., Umana-Taylor, A.J., Jahromi, L.B., and Updegraff, K.A.(2015). Grandmothers’ familism values, adolescent mothers’ parenting efficacy, and children’s well-being. Journal of Family Psychology, 29(4), 624-634.