Main Article Content
This correlational predictive research aimed to study factors relating and influencing the gerontological nursing competencies in nursing students at Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Songkhla. Sample was 98 nursing students year 3 and 4. The sample size was calculated by using G* Power. Stratified random sampling was used. Research instrument was a questionnaire consisting of general information, gerontological nursing competencies, professional attributes, caring, analytical thinker attributes, analytical thinking skills, acceptance of individual differences, and cultural competency. .67-1.00 the content validity score was confirmed by three experts. The reliability was examined using Cronbach's alpha coefficient yielding a value of .74 – 95. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, and multiple regression analysis by stepwise method. The results showed that overall. The analytical thinker attributes (Beta = .508), and the professional attributes (Beta = .265) factors predicted 49.10% variance in the gerontological nursing competencies in nursing students with statistical significance at the .001 level (adj. R2 = .491). Therefore, the Boromarajonani College of Nursing of Songkhla should plan teaching for generate the analytical thinker attributes and professional attributes in nursing students.
Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Uttaradit Journal attribution-non-commercial 4.0 international (CC BY-NC 4.0). For more detail please visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ . The ideas and opinions expressed in the Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Uttaradit are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the editor .
2. Alligood, R. M. (2010). Nursing theory utilization & application. (4th ed). Missouri: Mosby/Elsevier.
3. Eliopoulos C. Gerontological nursing. (2014). (8thed). Philadelphi: Wolters Kluwer/ Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
4. Hair, F.J., Black, C.W., Babin, J.B., & Anderson, E.R. (2010). Multivariate data analysis. (7th ed). New jersey: pearson education.
5. Jitmontri, N. (2011). Elderly: trends and elder care issues. In the art and science of gerontological nursing. Tongcharean, V. (Editor). Bangkok: faculty of nursing Mahidol university. (in Thai)
6. Kleiman S. (2009). Human centered nursing: The foundation of quality care. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis.
7. Kunaviktikul, W. (2006). Development of nursing staff . Cheingmai: Chotana Print. (in Thai)
8. Marzano, R. J. (2013). Ashing questions -at four different levels. educational leadership, 70(5): 76-77.
9. MauK, L. K. (2014). Gerontological nursing competencies for care.Massachusetts: courier companies.
10. Nanasilp, P. (2015). Gerontological nursing’s core knowledge: who are the older persons, determinant by age or other factors. nursing journal, 42 (special issue): 156-162. (in Thai)
11. Nawsuwan, K., Nontabhud, T. & Sodtiyapai, S. (2016). Correlation and predictive power between analytical thinking and health care competency among practical nursing students in Boromarajonani college of nursing, Songkhla. nursing public health and education Journal, 17(3): 81-93. (in Thai)
12. Nawsuwan, K., Chotiban, P. & Thongmeekwan, S. (2016). Factors predicting service behaviors with a concern for patient participation among registered nurses in southern Thailand. Songkhla: Boromarajonani college of nursing, Songkhla. (in Thai)
13. Nawsuwan, K., Wisalaporn, S. & Didyasarin Sattayarak, W. (2015). Indicators development of nursing students’s identity in nursing colleges, ministry of public health. princess of Naradhiwas University journal, 7(3): 59-73. (in Thai)
14. Neamsakul, W. (2016). Effect of teaching by using didactic strategies on learning achievement of environmental model of nursing: Florence nightingale of the first year nursing students. Boromarajonani college of nursing, Uttaradit Journal, 8(1): 84-97. (in Thai)
15. Office of the national economics and social development board. (2011). national social and economic development plan No. 11. (2012-2016). Bangkok: prime minister's office. (in Thai)
16.Praboromarajchanok institute of heath workforce development. (2011). A guide to performing a graduate Identification process Praboromarajchanok institute. Nontaburee: Yuttarin printing. (in Thai)
17. Singhasam, et al. (2016). Developing indicators of gerontological nursing competencies among nursing students in Boromarajonani college of nursing, Songkhla. The southern college network journal of nursing and public health. 3(3): 15-34. (in Thai)
18. Siriphan, S. & Songwanthana, P. (2014). Teaching methods for enhancing cultural competency of nursing students based on theoretical concepts of campinha-bacote, princess of Naradhiwas University journal, 6(1): 146-147. (in Thai)
19. Tantalanukul, S., Rattanasak, S., Seagpanich, C., Srisung, W. & Tungkawanich, T. (2016). The Effect of Simulation-Based Learning on the Ability Development of Primary Medical Care Practicum of Nursing Students at Boromarajonani College of Nursing Uttaradit. Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Uttaradit Journal, 8(1): 49-58. (in Thai)
20. Thailand nursing and midwife council. (2010). The nursing and midwifery profession act, be 2528 (1985) and amended by the nursing and midwifery profession act (No.2) be 2540 announcement of the nursing council. Bangkok: Siriyod printing. (in Thai)
21. The American association of colleges of nursing. (2010). Recommended baccalaureate competencies and curricular guidelines for the nursing care of older adults a supplement to The essentials of baccalaureate education for professional nursing practice. New York: New York university, college of nursing.
22. Touhy, A. T., & Jett, F. K. (2010). Ebersole and hess' gerontological nursing healthy aging. missouri: mosby elsevier.