Main Article Content
Introduction: Electronic books are a new teaching that the learners can read through the internet according to their interests and can take the tests by yourself. In addition, the multimedia content will help learners to learn better. Research objectives: The objectives of this study are to develop and test the effectiveness of the electronic book regarding handle of mitral valve replacement surgery instrument set to the knowledge levels of operating room nurses. Research methodology: This research uses the developmental research. The study samples were 20 registered nurses in operating room, Lampang Hospital who have never worked in cardio vascular thoracic surgery unit before.The study was conducted between January to May, 2020. The researchers have developed the electronic book based on the steps of Alessi and Trollip (1991). The electronic book developed by the research consisted of text, slide shows, video and sound audio of setting up instrument, preparing instrument and operating mitral valve replacement surgery. There were pretest and posttest with the key answers given to test takers right after completing the posttest. Samples had used the e-book for 1 week. and the test scores were analyzed by using Wilcoxan sign rank test. Results: The results showed that the posttest scores had higher than the pretest score at the significant level of .05. Conclusions: The electronic book regarding handle of mitral valve replacement surgery instrument set has increased knowledge of registered nurses who had never worked in the in cardio vascular thoracic surgery unit. Implications for practice: This electronic book should be used in preparing registered nurses who will work in the cardio vascular thoracic surgery unit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Article published Is the copyright of the Journal of Health and Nursing Research (Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Bangkok) Cannot be republished in other journals
2. Chitpakdee B, Sirakamon S. Human resource management. In: Nantsupawat A, editors. Leadership and nursing administration. Chiangmai: Faculty of Nursing Chiangmai University; 2017. (in Thai).
3. Lueluang W, Vorahan W. Factors influencing role practices of professional nurses at operating room in regional hospitals, northeast region. (A thesis for the degree of master of nursing science program in nursing administration). Graduate school, Khonkan University; 2012. (in Thai).
4. Khunwittaya P. Development of patient positioning electronic book for nurse anesthetists.
(Independent study for the degree of master of nursing science program in nursing administration). Graduate school, Chiangmai University; 2020. (in Thai).
5. Wichaiya S. Development of basic life support in newborn electronic book for nurse, Fang Hospital. (Independent study for the degree of master of nursing science program in nursing administration). Graduate school, Chiangmai University; 2020. (in Thai).
6. Juajun W. Basic knowledge about electronic book [Internet]. 2016 [cited 2020 Feb 20]. Available from: http://desktopblogaddress.blogspot.com/2016/08/1_26.html. (in Thai).
7. Wadyim N, Wangchom S, Mano A. teaching and learning management in using electronic learning. Journal of Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Bangkok 2017;33(3):146-57. (in Thai).
8. Knowles MS, Holton EF, Swanson RA. Adult learner: the definitive classic in adult education and human resource development 6th ed. Boston: Elsebier; 2005.
9. Alessi RD, Trollip SR. Computer-base instruction: methods and development. Englewood cliffs. New jersey: Prentrice-hall; 1991.
10. The society of thoracic surgeons of Thailand. Cardiac surgery statistic. Bangkok; 2019. (in Thai).
11. Cardio vascular thoracic unit. Cardiac surgery statistic. Lampang: Lampang hospital; 2019. (in Thai).
12. Mingsiritham K. Creative educational media design. 1st ed. Bangkok: Chulalongkorn University Printing House; 2016. (in Thai).
13. Viseskul N. Development of instructional media in nursing education: teaching concepts and application. Chiang Mai: Chotana Print; 2019. (in Thai).
14. Corley MA. Adult learning theories [Internet]. 2008. [cited 2020 june 2]. Available from: http://www.calpro-online.org/documents/AdultLearningTheoriesFinal.pdf
15. Sakcharoen P. Adult learning theory and self-directed learning concept: learning process for promoting lifelong learning. Journal of the Royal Thai Army Nurses 2015;16(1):8-13. (in Thai).
16. Vongchulachat S, Insing S. A comparison of the effectiveness of using electronic book entitled “principles of pediatric nursing” and traditional learning methods on learning achievement and satisfaction of nursing students. Journal of Health and Nursing Research 2019;35(2):83-94. (in Thai).