The Community Health Nursing Practicum Models in Distance Learning System, School of Nursing at Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University
Keywords:Community Health Nursing practicum model, distance learning, Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University
Introduction: Development of the Bachelor of Nursing Science Program for Public Health Officer with the distance learning system is one way to create professional nurses, who lived in the community and understanding the community context very well. Research objectives: The purpose of this research was to develop community health nursing practicum models for a distance learning system in order to achieve expected learning outcomes. Research methodology: The AUN-QA at program level was used as a conceptual framework. The key research informants were six experts on community health nursing and distance education systems. Research data were collected via in-depth interviews based on main interview questions created by the researcher. Each interview took 45-60 minutes. Interview contents were transcribed word-by-word from the interview tape recording. Data were analyzed by descriptive statistics and content analysis. Results: The results showed that 1) the expected learning outcomes for Community Health Nursing practicum at the course level were created from the distribution of the 25 expected learning outcomes at the program level into six domains as follows: (1) virtues and morality; (2) knowledge; (3) intellectual skills; (4) interpersonal skills and responsibility; (5) numerical analysis, communication and information technology; and (6) professional practice skills; and 2) three nursing practicum patterns in a distance learning system were created including (1) the selected nursing practicum for each course (2) the selected nursing practicum for case studies, and (3) the intensive nursing practicum. Conclusions: Three nursing practicum patterns were suit for the distance learning system because of the students will be trained to acquire necessary skills to practice in the community nursing course by the selected nursing practicum. They will be trained for practicing on a case study design according to the activities and nursing practices congruent with learning outcomes by the selected nursing practicum. Lastly they will learn and practice for developing nursing knowledge and skills according to the learning outcomes by the intensive nursing practicum. Implications: The three types of nursing practice of this distance education system must be cooperated with the nursing practice instructor and mentors to pass on nursing knowledge and abilities to students. Therefore, it needs a system giving them confidence in teaching, such as training courses and seminars for co-teaching staff etc.
2. Nursing Council. Public health technical officer meets with the president of the nursing council on the experience-based credit transfer program bachelor of nursing for public health officers. 2018. [cited 2020 Oct 1]; Available from: https://www.tnmc.or.th/news/67.
3. ASEAN University Network (AUN). Guide to AUN-Qa assessment at programme level version 3.0. Bangkok; ASEAN Univsrsity Network: 2015.
4. Lowery B, Spector N. Regulatory implications and recommendations for distance education in prelicensure nursing programs. Journal of Nursing Regulation 2014;5(3): 24-33.
5. Belita E, Carter N, Bryant-Lukosius D. Stakeholder engagement in nursing curriculum development and renewal initiatives: A review of the literature. Quality Advancement in Nursing Education 2020;6(1): 1-17.
6. Government Gazette. Announcement of the Ministry of Education Re: announcement of bachelor's degree qualifications nursing science 2017 (2017, January 3rd) [Internet].2017 [cited 2020 May 10]; 135. ; Available from: http://www.mua.go.th/users/tqf-hed/news/data6/ประกาศ-ศธ-NQF-2560-พยาบาลศาสตร์ ป-ตรี.PDF.
7. Dhabdhimsri V, Kemkhan P, Vanich W, Huengwattanakul P. The Desired Characteristics of Graduate for Thailand Qualifications Framework and Identities of Graduates in Bachelor of Nursing Science Program from Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Bangkok as Perceived by their Supervisors. Journal of Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Bangkok. 2019: 35(1):252-263. (in Thai).
8. Hanyut O, Ratanathavorn R. Quality and Identity of Graduated Nurses of School of Nursing, Eastern Asia University in Academic Year 2010. J EAU Heritage. 2013;7(2):99-107. (in Thai).
9. Phosri N, Kusoom W. Identity of Nursing Students Suan Sunandha Rajabhat University. Journal Research and Development Suan Sunandha Rajabhat University 2017;9(1):135-45. (in Thai).
10. Jantacumma N, Moolsart S, Iemsawasdikul W, Nuysri M, Pinchaleaw D. A follow-up study of graduates in the distance learning system of master of nursing science program in community health nurse pactitioner, academic year 2017. Journal of the Royal Thai Army Nurse 2020; 21(1):262-273. (in Thai).
11. Tithiphontumrong S. The integration of health promotion concepts in teaching and learning of community health nursing and heath promoting competencies of nursing students. Thai Red Cross Nursing Journal 2017; 9(2): 49-72. (in Thai).
12. Bvumbwe TH, Mtshali NG. Transforming nursing education to strengthen health system in Malawi: An exploratory study. The Open Nursing Journal 2018;12:93-105.
13. Plodpluang U. Competencies of Preceptor. Princess of Naradhiwas University Journal. 2016; 8(3):168-174.
14. Nantsupawat A, Sngounsiritham U. Mentoring System and Nursing Professional Development. Nursing Journal. 2019; 46(3): 232-8.
15. Natee K, Ratchanee T, Phunsee P, Luangwilai I. Clinical Teaching of Preceptors and Directions for Preceptorship Development, Faculty of Nursing, Huachiew Chalermprakiet University. HCU Journal. 2015;19(37):71-88.
16. Chuencham J, Kittiboonthawal P, Ubolyaem D. Effects of using interactive e-learning lessons in students’ health examination topic among nursing students’ learning achievement. Journal of Health and Nursing Research 2020; 36(2): 234-242. (In Thai).
17. Puengchompoo W, Panuthai S. Developing of the Learning and Teaching with E-Learning Model for Undergraduate Nursing Students in a Gerontological Nursing Course. Nursing Journal Volume. 2014;41 Supplement:11-25.
18. Duangchan C, Siritharungsri B, Soranasathaporn S, Pinyopasakul W. The Development of Nursing Handoff Communication Competency by Online Lesson for Nursing Students. Songklanagarind Journal of Nursing. 2019;39(2):98-112.
19. Raksatham S, Wattanachai P, Noothong J. The development of video lesson on oxygen therapy in children for nursing students at Boromarajonani college of nursing, Bangkok. Journal of Health and Nursing Research 2019;35(3):185-98. (in Thai).
20. Science Education Resource Center, Carleton College [Internet]. 2016. [cited 2020 Oct 10]; Available from: https://serc.carleton.edu/StemEdCenters/profiles/72131.html.
How to Cite
Article published Is the copyright of the Journal of Health and Nursing Research (Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Bangkok) Cannot be republished in other journals