Health Behaviors of the Older Adults with High Blood Pressure in Nakhon Ubol Municipal Area, Ubol Ratchathani
Keywords:older adults with high blood pressure, health behaviors
This descriptive research aims to study health behaviors of 371 older adults people with high blood pressure admitted for medical treatment at the local health community center of Sappasitthiprasong Hospital, Ubol Ratchathani. The research tool highlights a personal questionnaire and another one on health promotion behaviors created by the researcher according to Pender’s concept on health promotion behaviors . The concept includes six health behaviors, namely responsibilities for health, interpersonal relationship, physical exercises, spiritual development, stress management and nutrition. Every tool for this research underwent content-based precision inspection from three qualified academics. The calculated value of CVI is 0.79 and the data were analyzed by statistics, percentage, average and standard deviation.
Results showed that the total level of six health behaviors was high with a mean of 3.23 and
the standard deviation (SD.) of 0.80. The interpersonal relationship was ranked the first with high level (Mean = 3.43, SD. = 0.64). It was followed by the high level of health responsibilities and spiritual development (Mean = 3.37, SD. = 0.75). The physical exercises were also at the high level (Mean = 3.15, SD. = 0.86). Finally, the nutrition and stress management were at the high level with the mean of 3.14 and 2.89 and the SD. of 0.87 and 0.80 respectively.
2. World Health Organization. Hypertension[Internet]. 2019. [cited2019 Jul 8]. Available from: https:// www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/hypertension.
3. Prasert A. Common health problems in the elderly and prevention. Bangkok: Union Cleation; 2011.
4. Foundation of Thai Gerontology Research and Development Institute. Situation of the Thai Elderly 2557 B.E[Internet]. 2019. [cited2019 Jul 8]. Available from: https://www.m-society.go.th/article_attach/16057/19114.pdf.
5. Survey of Thai public health by physical examination No. 5 2014. [Internet]. 2019. [cited2019 Jul 8]. Available from: https://thaitgri.org/?p=37869.
6. Medical Record and Statistics unit, Sappasitthiprasong Hospital. Information for the Elderly with High Blood Pressure ; 2012.
7. Bunwong P, Bamraraj S. Knowledge and self-care practice of patients about high blood pressure who was admitted to the clinic health promotion hospital, Na An Sub district, Loei province. Journal of Community Health Development Khon Kaen University 2015;3(3):377-93. (in Thai).
8. Pender NJ. Health Promotion in Nursing Practice. 3rd ed. Connecticut: Appleton & Lange ; 1996.
9. Ubon Ratchathani Provincial Health Office. Report of causes of illness by outpatient disease Strategy Division, Health database Ministry of Public Health (HDC Datacenter), [Internet]. 2015. [cited2019 Jul 8]. Available http://www.phoubon.in.th/data/ data59/healthstatus_59.pdf.
10. Thai Hypertension Society. 2019 Thai Guidelines on The Treatment of Hypertension. 1st ed. Chang Mai: Tri Ting; 2019.
11. Sombateyotha K, Yoosuk W, Turnbol N. Health behavior and quality of life of the elderly in Chiangyuen district, Mahasarakham province. Health Behavior and Quality of Life of the Elderly in Chiangyuen District, Mahasarakham Province 2018;38(1):47-59.
12. Intana J, Chaiyoyingyong S, Wangyara N, Komtana P, Sriyotin B. Self-health care behaviours of elderly with hypertension study in Watpleng district, Ratchaburi province. Chalerm Kanchana Journal 2016;3(2):15-28.
13. Ministry of Social Development and Human Security. National Plan for Older Persons No. 2, Revision 1, 2009. Bangkok: Tappenvanit; 2010.
14. Thammikawon S, Krishanajuda S. Isan culture and elderly health care. 1st ed. Ubon Ratchathani: Ubon Rajathanathan University Press: 2018.
15. Kavinkia S. Physical Exercise Behaviors of Elderly People Sermngam District, Lampang Provice. Ph.D.In Social Sciences Journal, [Internet].2019[cited2019Jul8], 161-73. Available from: https://so05.tci thaijo.org/index.php/phdssj/article/view/85194.
16. Wrongsason A, Buopanpon N. Factors affecting caused stress of the elderly in Bamg Phlat District, Bankok. Humanities and Social Science Research Promotion Network Journal[Internet].2019[cited2019Jul8]:1082 1090.Available form https://repository.rmutr.ac.th/bitstream/handle/123456789/747/rmutrconth_101.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y.
17. Thai Hypertension Society. 2019 Thai Guidelines on The Treatment of Hypertension.1st ed. Chang Mai: Tri Ting; 2019.
18. Bazzano AL, Green T, Harrison NT, Reynolds K. Dietary approaches to prevent hypertension
How to Cite
Article published Is the copyright of the Journal of Health and Nursing Research (Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Bangkok) Cannot be republished in other journals