Effects of The Program with The Information Motivation Behavioral Skill Model toward the Preventive Behavior in Alcohol Drinking among The Female Vocational Students in Bangkok
Keywords:preventing alcohol drinking, female adolescents, information motivation behavioral skills model
This quasi-experimental study (pretest-posttest control group design) aimed to examine the efficacy of the program with the information motivation behavioral skill model toward the preventive behavior in alcohol drinking among female vocational students in Bangkok. Participants consisted of 62 female students age 15–16 years from a vocational institute in Bangkok. They were equally randomly assigned to an experimental group and a control group. The control group received usual care. Self-administered questionnaires were used to collect data before and after implementing the program. The questionnaires were also used to follow-up participants. Data were analyzed using mean, standard deviation, repeated measure ANOVA, and independent t-test. Results showed that after the intervention, the experimental group reported higher score of knowledge about alcohol prevention, attitudes toward alcohol prevention, perceived self-efficacy toward alcohol prevention, and alcohol prevention behaviors than prior to implementing the intervention. Also, at two week follow-up, the score of the experimental group was higher than those before the intervention (p<.05), and greater than those in the comparison group (p<.05)
2. Audsanangkornchai S. Facts and Figures: Alcohol in Thailand 2016-201. Bangkok: Sahamit printing; 2013. (in Thai).
3. Sornpaisan B. Thailand Alcohol Situation 2008. Bangkok: Center of Alcohol Studies; 2008. (in Thai).
4. Audsanangkornchai S, Mugthong A, Intanon T. A surveillance of drinking behaviors and other health-risk behaviours among high school strudents in Thailand. Songkla: Prince of Songkla University; 2008. (in Thai).
5. Blanco AM, Cauli O, Miñarro J, Guerri C., Pascual M. Intermittent ethanol exposure induces inflammatory brain damage and causes long-term behavioural alterations in adolescent rats. The European Journal of Neuroscience 2007; 500-41.
6. Tumrungsri T. Associations between Alcohol Consumption and Injuries in Emergency Room Patients Nontaburi: Center of Alcohol Studies; 2556. (in Thai).
7. Department of Juvenile Observation and Protection. List of annual case statistics 2012. Bangkok: Center for information technology and communications; 2012. (in Thai).
8. Piyaaramwong P. Health education program management using the health belief model to prevent alcohol drinking of lower secondary school female students. Bangkok : Chulalongkorn University;2014. (in Thai).
9. Chaochalard P. Effectsofan Alcohol Use Prevention Program Applying Self Efficacy Theory among 7th GradeStudents in NakhonPathom Province. Rama Nurse Journal 2019;24:211-24. (in Thai).
10. Center of Alcohol Studies. Bangkok Alcohol Situation 2015. Bangkok: Center of Alcohol Studies;2015. (in Thai).
11. Fisher WA, Fisher JD. Changing AIDS-Risk Bahvior. Psychological Bulletin 1992;111:455-74.
12. Sanothong K. The Effects of Reduced Alcohol Consumption Behavior Program in Adulthood. Journal of Phrapokklao Nursing College 2559;29:78-91. (in Thai).
13. Areekul W. Adolescent Health care and Supervision. Bangkok: Department of Pediatrics Pramongkutklao Hospital and College of Medicine; 2010. (in Thai).
14. Saleengam S. Effects of a new Dringking Prevention Program For Primary School Students Surin Province. Bangkok: Mahidol University; 2019. (in Thai).
15. Ponlasarn A, Dauwngsong R. The Effectiveness of Health Education Program by Application of Theory of Planned Behavior and Social Support for Prevention Alcohol Drinking Behavior Among Secondary Level 4 Khongchaipattana Sub-District, Khongchai District, Kalasin Province. KKU Research Journal 2011;11:83-92. (in Thai).
16. Jeerapath W, Ueakit, Moonruttana A. The Effect of Motivation Promoting Program on Alcohol Drinking Prevention Behavior Among Early Adolescents. Kuakarun Journal of Nursing 2014;21:219-33. (in Thai)
How to Cite
Article published Is the copyright of the Journal of Health and Nursing Research (Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Bangkok) Cannot be republished in other journals