Efficacy of Ritseeduangthawan Formula in the Treatment of Hemorrhoids
Main Article Content
A double-blind, randomized controlled trial was conducted to evaluate the efficacy of Ritseeduangthawan formula. This formulation contains Pistachia chinensis Bunge subsp., Picrorhiza kurrooa Royle ex Benth., Artemisia annua L., Terminalia chebula Retz. Var. chebula., Angelica dahurica Benth., Nigella sativa L., Lepidium sativum L., Cuminum cyminum L., Foeniculum vulgare Mill., Anethum graveolens L., Piper pendulispicum C.DC., Cinnamomum bejolghtha (Ham.) Sweet., Cinnamomum verum J.S. Presl., Zingiber officinale Roscoe., Piper retrofractum Vahl., Myristica fragrans Houtt., Piper nigrum L., Commiphora guidottii Chiov., Platycladus oriientalis (L.) Franco., Pouzolzia zeylanica Benn. And Pouzolzia pentandra Benn. which has been used in the treatment of hemorrhoids. Inclusion criteria were male and female out-patients at the Thai Traditional and Integrated medicine Hospital, Department of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine age 18 - 60 with symptoms of hemorrhoids i.e. pain, bleeding and prolapsed. Sixty two subjects were equally randomized into 2 groups: Group 1 treated with Ritseeduangthawan formula, administered one capsule orally three times a day before meal for 28 days; Group 2 treated with a formula containing Diosmin and Hesperidin, administered one tablet orally three times a day before meal for 28 days. The severity of hemorrhoid was evaluated as pain, bleeding and prolapsed. Assessment within and between groups was performed on days 0, 14 and 28. The obtained data revealed that the levels of pain, bleeding and prolapsed on day 28 were significantly lower than the pretreatment on day 0 in both groups. However, the levels of pain, bleeding and prolapsed in both before and after treatment on day 28 were not significantly different between the two groups. The results suggested that the efficacy of this Ritseeduangthawan formula at the dose of 600 mg/day was comparable to the formula containing Diosmin and Hesperidin at the dose of 1,500 mg/day for 28 days.
2. Henry Ford Hospital. Division of colon and rectal surgery. [Internet]. 2009 [cited 2009 Jun 14]. Available from: http://springerlink.com/content/705gg75x8q4038v7/.
3. Allan A, Samad AJ, Mellon A, Marshall T. Prospective randomized study of urgent hemorrhoidectomy compared with non-operative treatment in the management of prolapsed thrombosed internal hemorrhoids. Colorectal Disease. 2005;8:41-5.
4. Laosee OC, Pathanapornpandh N, Sitthi-amorn C, Khiewyoo J, Somrongthong R, Dulyavoranun N. Prescription pattern for treatment of hemorrhoids under the universal coverage policy of Thailand. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2005;36(4):1020-4.
5. Foundation for Restore and Promote Thai Traditional Medicine. Thai traditional medicine textbook. Bangkok: Darnsutha Press; 2004. 458 p. (in Thai)
6. Ittha-rat A. Efficacy and safety of Thai traditional medicine (Ya-Rid SiDuangMahakal) in hemorrhoid patients. Pathumthani: Faculty of Medicine, Thammasat University; 2009. (in Thai)
7. Subcommittee of Nationality List of Essential Medicines. Nationality List of Essential Medicines.
1999;11(4):545-61. (in Thai)
8. Department of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine, Thailand Institute of Scientific and Technological Research, Faculty of Veterinary Science, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Science, Chulalongkorn University. Pathological study on chronic toxicity of Thai traditional medicine (Ya-Rid-Si-Duang-Mahakal). n.p.: 2006. (in Thai)
9. McCloud JM, Jameson JS, Scott AND. Life-threadtening sepsis following treatment of general surgery. Leicester: Glenfield General Hospital; 2005.
10. Phanphimanmas S, Thathipongmani S, Sukdan C. Comparative study on the efficacy and side effects of Pet-sang-khat versus Daflon 500mg (Servier) and Placebo in hemorrhoid patients. Bangkok: Thailand Institute of Scientific and Technological Research; 1999. (in Thai)
11. Lek-u-thai S, Pisaheed PA. Treatment effect of hemorrhoid by Pet-sang-khat extract. Journal of Health Sciecne. 2011;20(5):848-56. (in Thai)