Main Article Content
The purposes of this quasi-experimental research using the pretest-posttest control group design were to compare: 1) caregivers’ caring ability of children with ADHD before and after received the stress management program, and 2) caregivers’ caring ability of children with ADHD who received the stress management program and those who received regular nursing care. The sample was 40 caregivers of children with ADHD in Somdech Phra Pinklao Hospital who met the inclusion criteria. The sample was matched pair by education level and duration of caregiving and then randomly assigned to the experimental and the control group, 20 persons each. The experimental group received the stress management program. The control group received regular nursing care. Research tools were 1) stress management program developed by the researcher consists of 7 activities as educating the appraisal of caregiving relate stress, the impact of the problematic situation of caring for ADHD, searching for resources, providing knowledge about ADHD, and ADHD caring skills, communication skills training, coping skills, emotional-focused coping skills, management and review the knowledge of how to deal with stress effectively, 2) the ability to care for children with ADHD’s caregivers scale, and 3) stress assessment Model of ADHD tools. The 1st and 2nd instruments were validated for content validity by 5 professional experts. The 2nd and 3rd instrument had Cronbach’s alpha coefficient reliability 0.81 and 0.94, respectively. The t-test was used in data analysis.
The findings were as follows:
1. Caregivers’ caring ability of children with ADHD after receiving the stress management program were significantly better than before receiving the stress management program at the .05 level.
2. Caregivers’ caring ability with ADHD after received the stress management program was significantly better than those received regular nursing care at the .05 level.
2.Visser SN, Bitsko RH, Danielson ML, Perou R, Blumberg SJ. Increasing prevalence of parent-reported attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder among children-United States, 2003, 2007. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 2010;59(44):1439-43.
3.Visanuyothin T, Pavasuthipaisit C, Wachiradilok P, Arunruang P, Buranasuksaku T. The prevalence of attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder in Thailand. Child and Adolescent Mental Health Rajanagarindra Institute 2017;21(2). (in Thai).
4.Freitag CM, Hänig S, Schneider A, Seitz C, Palmason H, RetzW, et al. Biological and psychosocial environmental risk factors influence symptom severity and psychiatric comorbidity in children with ADHD. Journal of Neural Transmission 2012;119(1):81-94.
5.Polanczyk G, Rohde LA. Epidemiology of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder across the lifespan. Current Opinion in Psychiatry 2007;20(4):386-92.
6.Arpornsuwan M. ADHD Treatment. Bangkok: Pimdee; 2007. (in Thai).
7.Sanguankulchai N. Relationships between family environment-relationship dimension, parenting behaviors, maternal. [Master’s Thesis, Faculty of Nursing]. Chulalongkorn University; 2013. (in Thai).
8.Wongkitirungruang S. How do you handle aggressive behavior. Journal of Education. 2550;30(2-3):41-7. (in Thai).
9.Reuangtragoon S. Textbook of psychiatry, children and teens. Bangkok: Reuangaewganpim; 2008 . (in Thai).
10.Piyasin W. A guide for parents ADHD. Queen Sirikit National Institute of Child Health. [Internet]. [cited 2012 September 28]. Available from: https://www.childrenhospital.go.th/main/marketing/31_201249KM. pdf. (in Thai).
11.Srichanchai J. Care for children defective. MahaSarakham: Sri MahaSarakham College of Nursing; 2013. p. 1-66. (in Thai).
12.Dandnamkoo D. Parenting stress in caretakers of children with ADHD. [Master’s Thesis, Faculty of Nursing]. Chulalongkorn University; 2006. (in Thai).
13.Webster-Stratton CH, Reid MJ, Beauchaine T. Combining parent and child training for young children with ADHD. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology 2011; 40(2):191-203.
14.Barkley RA. Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: a handbook for diagnosis and treatment. New York: The Guilford Press; 2014.
15.Maneerat S. Ability of ADHD caregiver. [Master’s Thesis, Faculty of Nursing]. Prince of Songkla University; 2007. (in Thai).
16.Leelukkanaveera U, Longphimai C, Toonsiri C. Influencing factors of stress among The Royal Thai Navy in Narathiwat Province. Royal Thai Navy Medical Journal 2018;45(2): 399-416. (in Thai).
17.Lazarus R, Folkman S. Stress approval and coping. New York: Springer Publishing Company; 1984.
18.Guevara J, Lozano P, Wickizer T, Mell L, Gephart H. Utilization and cost of health care services for children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Pediatrics 2001; 108(1):71-8.
19.Harpin VA. The effect of ADHD on the life of an individual, their family, and community from preschool to adult life. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2005;90(suppl1):i2-i7.
20.Ponnoppadon CH, Gatemaan P. Mental health clinic. [Internet]. [cited 2011 May 11]. Available from: https://www.psyclin.co.th/myweb1.html. (in Thai).
21.Chumphusaeb W. Effectiveness of implementing the caregiver training regarding behavior modification of children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder program, child and adolescent psychiatric clinic, Lampang hospital. [Master’s Thesis, Faculty of Nursing]. Chiang Mai University; 2013. (in Thai).
22. Chamchoi A. The effectiveness of potentiality enhancement program in coping with stress from caring the elderly in the community. [Master’s Thesis, Faculty of Community Health Nurse Practitioner]. Christian University of Thailand; 2007. (in Thai).
23. Janpen M. The effect of coping skills enhancement program on caring ability of schizophrenic patients’ caregivers in the community. [Master’s Thesis, Faculty of Nursing]. Chulalongkorn University; 2014. (in Thai).
24. Mahatnirunkoon S, Poompaisanchai W, Tapanya P. The research report titled "Creating a stress test". Suan Prung Hospital, Chiang Mai; 1997. (in Thai).
25. Thato R. Nursing research: concept to apply. 2nd ed. Bangkok: Chulalongkorn University publisher; 2009. (in Thai).
26. Grove S, Burns N, Gray J. The practice of nursing research. St. Louis: Mo.Saunders; 2013.
27. Pithiyanuwat S, Chanthonsonti U. Research and educational evaluation unit 9 - 15. Nontaburi: Sukhothai Thammathirat University publisher; 1991. (in Thai).
28. Mitchell MM. Parents’stress and coping with their children’s attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. [Doctoral dissertation]. University of Maryland; 2006.
29. Tangkasombat U. Create concentration for your child. Bangkok: Sunta Press; 2003. (in Thai).