Comparative Study of Quality of Life between End Stages Renal Disease Patients Treated with Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis and Hemodialysis at Sawangdaendin Crown Prince Hospital
This descriptive research aimed to compare quality-of-life in patients on continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD) and hemodialysis (HD) at Sawangdaendin Crown Prince Hospital. 206 patients on CAPD and HD were selected by purposive sampling. Data were collected until April to May 2019 by using a 9-thai quality of life questionnaire. Statistics were used to analyzed data were descriptive statistics and independent t-test. The study found that the mean scores of quality of life in physical health of HD patients was significantly higher than CAPD patients and the mean scores of quality of life in mental health of HD patients was not significantly higher than CAPD patients. The research result will be beneficial to promote quality of life of patients who have renal replacement therapy.
2. Praditpornsilpa K, editor.Thailand renal replacement therapy registry report 2010. Bangkok: The Nephrology Society of Thailand; 2010.
3. The Nephrology Society of Thailand. Report of the Thailand renal replacement therapy year 012[Internet].2012[cited 2019 Jan 10].Available from:http://www.nephrothai.org/ images/trt/thailand_renalreplacement_therapy_2012.pdf
4. World Health Organization. WHOQOL: Measuring Quality of Life. [online] 2010 [Cited 2019 Jan 20] Available from: https://www.who.int/healthinfo/survey/whoqol-qualityoflife/en/
5. Alwakeel JS, Alsuwaida A, Askar A, Memon N, Usama S, Alghonaim M, et al. Outcome and Complications in Peritoneal Dialysis Patients : A Five-year Single Center Experience. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl 2011; 22(2): 245-51
6. Goncalves FA, Dalosso IF, Borba JM, Bucaneve J, Valerio NM, Okamoto CT, Bucharles SG. Quality of life in chronic renal patients on hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis: a comparative study in a referral service of Curitiba - PR. J Bras Nefrol 2015; 37: 467-74.
7. Wright LS, Wilson L: Quality of Life and Self-Efficacy in Three Dialysis Modalities: Incenter Hemodialysis, Home Hemodialysis, and Home Peritoneal Dialysis. Nephrol Nurs J 2015; 42: 463-76.
8. Dabrowska-Bender M, Dykowska G, Zuk W, Milewska M, Staniszewska A. The impact on quality of life of dialysis patients with renal insufficiency. Patient Prefer Adherence. 2018;12:577–583. Published 2018 Apr 19. doi:10.2147/PPA.S156356.
9. De Abreu MM, Walker DR, Sesso RC, Ferraz MB: Health-related quality of life of patients recieving hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis in Sao Paulo, Brazil: a longitudinal study. Value Health 2011; 14: 119- 21.
10. Kim JY, Kim B, Park KS, Choi JY, Seo JJ, Park SH, Kim CD, Kim YL: Health-related quality of life with KDQOL-36 and its association with self-efficacy and treatment satisfaction in Korean dialysis patients.Qual Life Res 2013;22:753-58.
11. Zazzeroni L, Pasquinelli G, Nanni E, Cremonini V, Rubbi I. Comparison of Quality of Life in Patients Undergoing Hemodialysis and Peritoneal Dialysis: a Systematic Review and MetaAnalysis. Kidney Blood Press Res 2017; 42:717-27.
12. Laolam N, Kriyasin P, Palakul W, Chimpalee A, Halue G and Chandeying V. Quality of life assessment among patients on hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis at Phayao Hospital. Naresuan Phayao Journal 2014; 7 (2): 172.
13. Sawangdaendin Crown Prince Hospital. Annual report of the year 2017; Sakonnakhon, 2018.
14. Tangcharoensathien V, Cheawchanwattana A, Limwattananon C, Vasavid C, Lerkiatbundit S and Boonperm J. Health Status Report among Thai Population: The Analysis of the Health and Welfare Survey 2003. Journal of Health Science
15. Cheawchanwattana A, Chanlertrith D. Predictive Criterion Validity of a Health-Related Quality of Life 9-THAI by Predicting Survival Rates in Dialysis Patients. Journal of nurses’ association of Thailand, Northeastern division 2012; 30(2): 23-31.
16. Cheawchanwattana A, Manyuen S. The Development of Quality of Life Database Software for Use at Renal Disease Clinics; Srinagarind Med J 2018; 33(4): 359-63.
17. Wichaisak W, Lueboonthavatchai P, Avihingsanon Y. Comparative study of quality of life between end- stage renal disease patients treated with dialysis and those treated with kidney transplantation at King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital. Chula Med J 2018; 62(1): 91 – 105.
18. Pangsri S, Panpakdee O and Phinitkhajorndech N. Factors Predicting Health-Related Quality of Life in Chronic Kidney Disease Patients Receiving Dialysis in Chanthaburi Province. Journal of Nursing and Education 2015; 8 (3): 66-80.
19. Yu HD,Petrini MA.The HRQoL of Chinese patients undergoing haemodialysis.J Clin Nurs 2010: 19(5-6);658-65.
Copyright (c) 2020 Journal of Nursing and Health Care
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.