Main Article Content
Objective To develop a community participation suicide prevention program to reduce the incidence of suicide in at risk population.
Material and methods The research and development technique was applied in 8 communities at Jarim sub-district, Tha-Pla district, Uttaradit province between December 2014 and March 2016. The program involved families with population at risk, community leaders, health personnel, primary school teachers and other community networks. The questionnaires were used to evaluated the program with further focus groups interviews. The data were analyzed using frequency, percentage, means, paired sample t-test, and Wilcoxon sign-rank test. The content analysis was used for the qualitative data.
Result The model consisted of three programs, i.e. 1) reassuring the community leader and building social support network, 2) strengthening the health care team, and, 3) promoting mental health in primary school. The result showed that all groups have signifi cantly increased mental health literacy. The groups of families with population at risk, community leaders and other community network jointly developed suicide prevention and surveillance plan for their communities and created community network for psychiatric care. The health personnel also showed an improved psychiatric care and referral network. Finally, the primary school teachers were able to identify students with high suicidal risk behavior, provide the psychosocial support and used the social skill training media for grade 1 to grade 6 students. After 3 and 6 months of program implementation, no incidence of committed suicide was reported.
Conclusion The community participation suicide prevention program could be used to reducing the incidence of suicide in at risk population.
- Authorization to photocopy items for internal or personal use of specific clients, is granted. The consent does not extend to other kinds of copying, such as for general distribution, for advertising, or for resale.
- Unless otherwise states, the views and opinion expressed in Journal of Mental Health of Thailand are those of authors of the papers, and do not represent those of the editorial board or the Department of Mental Health.
2. Turecki G, Brent AD. Suicide and suicidal behavior.The Lancet 2016;387:1227-39. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(15)00234-2.
3. Department of Mental Health. Suicide report 2013. [Internet]. Nonthaburi: Department of Mental Health; 2014. [cited 2016 Feb 15]. Available from: http://www.dmh.go.th/report/suicide. (in Thai)
4. Sriruenthong W, Kongsuk T, Pengchuntr W, Kittirattanapaiboon P, Kenbubbpha K, Yingyeun R, et al. The suicidality in Thai population: a national survey. Journal of Psychiatric Association Thailand 2011;56:413-24. (in Thai)
5. Mental Health Center 9. Annual Report 2014. Nakornsawan:Mental Health Center 9; 2014. (in Thai)
6. Mongkol A, Tunkseree T, Pimsane S, Katesomboon P, Katesomboon N. The epidemiology of suicide attempted and suicide in 2002. Khonkaen: Khonkaen Rajanagarindra Psychiatric Hospital; 2003. (in Thai)
7. Singhutsatid M, Silakate A, Kumkom S, Nuttarangsee J. The community participation for prevention suicide in the high risk group. Journal of Mental Health Thailand 2007;8:17-25. (in Thai)
8. Nitirat P, Tataku G, Pongsittitawon K, Kadudom P. Participatory action research: building community-based mental health care communities at Baan Khao Daeng, Moo 9, Soi Dao District, Chanthaburi province. [Thesis]. Chanthaburi: Phrapokklao Nursing College Chanthaburi; 2011. (in Thai)
9. Thomanoi R. Development of suicide prevention in both hospitals and communities in Li Distric, Lamphum Province. The 8th Suicide Prevention Conference. 2008 Jul 7-8, 2008; Chiang Rai, Thailand.
10. Pattanavanichanan N, Budsee S, Niljoy J, krajangyal A. eople’s involvement in suicidal prevention: case study of Ngam-Pat-Toop, Wangnoi district, Ayutthaya province. Journal of Nursing 2005;23:67-75. (in Thai)
11. Department of Mental Health. Mental health research and development manual. Nonthaburi: Department of Mental Health; 2012. (in Thai)
12. Hinthou B. The action research and participatory to develop the media to promote health and prevent health problems of the elderly lbun The Sak district, Phetchabun province. [Research Report]. Phitsanulok: Pibulsongkram Rajabhat University; 2015. (in Thai)
13. Konta K. Community empowerment in the care of stressed people: depression and risk of suicide. [Research Report]. Uthaitane: Banrai Hospital; 2008. (in Thai)
14. Singnang J, Ratchaboot N. Evaluation of suicide prevention project, Department of Mental Health, 2004 [Research Report]. Khonkaen: Khonkaen Rajanagarindra Psychiatric Hospital; 2004. (in Thai)
15. Boonyawongviroj P, Mongkol A, Tangseree T, Huttapanom W, Sriviset S, Kanachai V. The promoting and preventon model for mental health problems in community. Journal of Mental Health Thailand 2006;14:114–23. (in Thai)