Main Article Content
This research and development (R & D) aimed to develop and evaluate the therapeutic communication skill performance assessment tools using the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) in nursing care of persons with mental health problems practicum subject among junior nursing students, Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Suphanburi. The development process included 4 phases as follows. Phase 1 aimed to develop a conceptual 'pyramidal' model guided by Miller’s model, Peplau’s theory. Therapeutic communication technique was also reviewed and we then developed a tool to assess clinical skill for therapeutic communication. This was a behavioral observation form consisting of 20 items in 2 tools of clinical skill for therapeutic communication for (a) person with disorders of thinking and perception, and (b) person with mood disorders. These included scenario and checklist form. Phase 2 aimed to validate the content by three experts with IOC of 0.98 and 1.00, respectively. Phase 3 was to firstly try out of the tool with 80 nursing students. Results showed that Cronbach’s Alpha Coefficients were 0.69 and 0.41, respectively. In phase 4, we then tried out the tool with similar population (119 nursing students) and we obtained another set of Cronbach’s Alpha Coefficients of 0.78, and 0.72. By using t-test (p=0.05), the index of discrimination of item - total of the evaluation forms was tested. Result showed that there was not significantly different between a couple of evaluation forms.
The results of focus group discussion with nursing instructors and nursing student showed that the developed tool containing clinical skill for therapeutic communication for person with disorders of thinking and perception was appropriate.
Article published Is the copyright of the Journal of Health and Nursing Research (Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Bangkok) Cannot be republished in other journals
2. Soivong P, Suksatit B, Khampolsiri T, Suwankruhasn N. The use of standardized patients in nursing education. Ramathibodi Nursing Journal 2016;21(3):289-97. (in Thai).
3. Kunaviktikul W. Teaching and learning in the discipline of nursing in the 21st century. Nursing Journal 2016;42(2):152-6. (in Thai).
4. Khamwong M, Sirimai W, Kunlaka S, Wattanabenjasopa S, Nuchusuk C. Development of objective structured clinical examination (OSCE) model in practicum of nursing care of persons with mental health problems subject. Journal of Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Bangkok 2017;34(2):138-53. (in Thai).
5. Kumkong M. Patient safety: a guideline to nursing practicum. The Southern College Network Journal of Nursing and Public Health 2019;6(1):216-28 (in Thai).
6. Harden RM. What is an OSCE? Medical Teacher 1988;10:19-22.
7. Chukumnerd S, Puicharoen S. The use of objective structured clinical examination (OSCE) in Nursing Education. The Southern College Network Journal of Nursing and Public Health. 2017;4(3):236-48. (in Thai).
8. Prasertmuang D, Chunpetch A, The development of assessment and measurement tool of clinical skill with objective structured clinical examination (OSCE) for students of Nursing college under the Praboromarajchanok Institute 2017;9(3):95-110. (in Thai).
9. The Praboromarajchanok Institute.The manual of assessment for clinical skill with Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE). nonthaburi: YTR printing; 2016. (in Thai).
10. Miller G E. The Assessment of clinical skills /competence/performance. Acad Med. .1990 Sep;65 (9Suppl):S63-7
11. Peplau H. Interpersonal relations: a theoretical framework for application in nursing.New York: G. Putnam & Sons ; 1952. Mary, Boyd . Essentials of Psychiatric Nursing. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer;2017.
12. Mary, T C. Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing : Concept of Care in Evidence-Base Practice (9th ed.). Philadelphia: F.A. Davis Company; 2018.
13. Sitticharoon C. Principle of medical education assessment: experience from meeting of association of medical education in Europe (AMEE) 2014 Siriraj Medical Bulletin 2014;8(2):79-82. (in Thai).
14. Inkaew T, PakantaI,.Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE): application in nursing practicum. Journal of Nursing and Health Sciences 2017;11(3):1-7. (in Thai).