Effects of Health Promoting Program on Health Behavior among Retired Government Officers
Keywords:health promoting program, health behaviors, government officers
This quasi-experimental study aimed to assess the effect of health promoting program on health behavior among retired government officers. Samples consisted of 60 retired government officers (both male and female); all were membership of retired government club in Chon Buri province. Equally, 30 samples were randomly assigned to either the experimental or the control groups. The experimental group received the Health Promoting Program, whereas the control group received the usual care. Data were collected using a set of questionnaires (the personal information questionnaire and health behavior questionnaire). Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics and t-test.
Results revealed that health behaviors mean score at post-test in the experimental group was significantly higher than pre-test mean score (t = -4.82; p<.001); and higher than those of the control group (t=-2.727; p<.001). The results also suggested that nurses and healthcare providers should implement this health promoting program to promote better
health behaviors of retired government officers.
2. Thidarat A, Phraephun M. Financial planning for retirement among provincial electricity authority employees. [M.A.Thesis]. Nakorn Pathom: Silpakorn University, 2007. (in Thai).
3. Wilaiwan T. Science and Art of Gerontological Nursing. 2nd ed. Bangkok: Textbook project, Faculty of Nursing Mahidol University; 2013. (in Thai).
4. Jurairut, H. Self –care behavior on retired military officials. [master thesis]. Chiangmai: Chiangmai University; 1998. (in Thai).
5. Poom N. Work after retirement of personnel Chiangmai University. [master thesis]. Chiangmai: Chiangmai University; 2004. (in Thai).
6. Penprapa B. Preparation before retirement. Journal of Princess Narathiwat Ratchanakarin Univerity: Humanities and social sciences 2015;2(1):82-92. (in Thai ).
7. Praphaporn M. Development of a health promotion model for pre-retired teachers. [doctoral thesis]. Phitsanulok: Naresuan University; 2005. (in Thai).
8. Health insurance system research office. Outpatient database [Internet]. 2012. [cited 2016 March 8 ]. Available from http://www.hisro.or.th/main/index.php. (in Thai).
9. Jarasrach Y. Factors influencing health promoting behavior among retired government officials in Srisakate province. [master thesis]. ChonBuri: Burapha Univerity; 2014. (in Thai).
10. Pender N, Murdaugh C, Parsons M. Health promotion in nursing practice. 7th ed. New Jersey: Pearson Education; 2015.
11. Kattika T, Jiraporn K, Chanokporn J. Factors related to health promoting behaviors among older adults: a meta-analysis. Journal of Nursing Science 2010;28(3):60-8
12. Chanidsara T. Effect of health behavior promotion program on health promoting behaviors and quality of life among elderly with osteoarthritis. [master thesis]. ChonBuri: Burapha Univerity; 2014. (in Thai).
13. Ratchawan T, Jureporn J. Effect of health promotion program on health behaviors among the hypertensive elderly. [Internet]. 2012 [cited 2016 July 15 ] Available from http:// mis.cola.kku.ac.th.
14. Polit DF, Beck CT. Nursing research principle and methods 7th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2004.
15. Wassana K. Factor predicting health promoting behaviors among the elderly with hypertension. [master thesis]. Chiangmai: Chiangmai University; 2004. (in Thai).
16. Bandura A. Self-efficacy changing societies. (3rd)., Cambrideg: Cambrideg University Press; 1999.
17. Primprapha K, Chanjar S, Pakorn P, Wiroj W. Factors predicting health promoting behaviors among government officials with dyslipidemia. Journal of Nursing and Health Sciences 2011;5(3):17-28. (in Thai).
18. Walainaree P, Jeerawan U. Effects of health promotion program on elderly in Pathumthani province. Journal of Pacific Institute of Management Science 2017;4(1):59-67 (in Thai).
How to Cite
Article published Is the copyright of the Journal of Health and Nursing Research (Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Bangkok) Cannot be republished in other journals