Main Article Content
Andrographolide DMSc reference substance was produced by extraction of leaves of Andrographis paniculata(Burm.f.) Nees with chloroform. Andrographolide crude extract was purified by recrystallization with ethanol. Identification of andrographolide raw material was performed by IR spectroscopy, mass spectroscopy, 1H-NMRspectroscopy and differential scanning calorimetry to ensure the identity and purity of this substance. The assigned value of andrographolide DMSc reference substance was 98.2% calculated on the as is basis, determined by UPLC method compared with andrographolide USP reference standard. This developed method of liquid extraction and purification by recrystallization was a non-complicated method but selective separation of andrographolide from other diterpene lactones with the yield of 0.18%.
2. Department of Medical Sciences. Thai Herbal Pharmacopoeia. Nonthaburi: Department of Medical Sciences; 2016. p. 103-13.
3. The United States Pharmacopoeial Convention. The United States Pharmacopoeia, The National Formulary 39th revision. Rockville, MD.: The United States Pharmacopoeial Convention, Inc.; 2016. p. 6461, 6463.
4. Limsiriwong M, Sahamethapat A, Kanjanapruk P. Development and validation of UPLC method for analysis of andrographolide from Andrographis paniculata (Burm.f.) Nees. Journal of Thai Traditional and AlternativeMedicine. 2019;17(2):153-67. (in Thai)
5. Borooah D.D, Borua P.K. Column chromatography for isolation of andrographolide from in vitro grown medicinal plant-Andrographis paniculata Wall. ex Nees. International Journal of Applied Biology and Pharmaceutical Technology. 2011;2(3):571-5.
6. Zala S.P, Patel K.P, Patel K.S, Parmar J.P, Sen D.J. Laboratory techniques of purification and isolation. Int J of Drug Dev & Res. 2012;4(2):41-55.
7. Kilambi P.K, Shah P.A, Panchal S.R, Joshi H.R. A simple and facile method for the isolation of andrographolide from Andrographis paniculata Nees. Am J Pharm Tech Res. 2016;6(6):266-75.
8. Jadhao D, Thorat B. Purification (crystallization) of bioactive ingredient andrographolide from Andrographis paniculata. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2014;3(10):747-63.
9. Department of Chemistry. Recrystallization. [Internet]. 2015 [cited 2016 Jun 6]; [18 screens]. Available from:https://www.chem.utoronto.ca/coursenotes/CHM249/Recrystallization.pdf
10. Kumoro A, Hasan M, Singh H. Effects of solvent properties on the soxhlet extraction of diterpenoid lactones from Andrographis paniculata leaves. Science Asia. 2009;35:306-9.
11. Singh P.K, Hasan T, Prasad O, Sinha L, Raj K, Misra N. FT-IR spectra and vibrational spectroscopy of andrographolide. Spectroscopy. 2006;20:275-83.
12. Yong-Xi S, Shi-Ping L, Zhao J, Jian-Fei Q, Zhi-Yuan J. Qualitative and quantitative analysis of Andrographis paniculata by rapid resolution liquid chromatography/Time-of-Flight mass spectrometry. Molecules. 2013;18(10):12192-207.
13. Mohana S.J, Umarani V. Isolation and characterisation of andrographolide from Andrographis paniculata. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2016;5(9):1954-61.