Main Article Content
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a major health concern. Thoeng Hospital reported a good result of using A-Paisalee herbal drug combined with the standard treatment in patients with COPD but no clinical trial has been conducted yet. This study, therefore, aimed to evaluate the efficacy and safety of A-Paisalee herbal recipe in patients with mild to moderately stable COPD. This randomized double-blinded placebo-controlled trial enrolled 66 outpatients diagnosed with mild to moderate COPD and got them randomized into 2 groups, 33 each. The treatment group was treated with A-Paisalee, while the control group received a placebo. All volunteers were treated with the standard treatment as a basis. The outcomes were evaluated every 30 days, totally 5 times. Inhaled drug use history was taken; oxygen saturation and lung function were measured; and six-minute walk test, Modified Medical Research Council Dyspnea Score and COPD Assessment Test were measured or performed. Blood examinations were undertaken on day 0 and day 90. Data were analyzed using independent t-test, chi-square and repeated one-way ANOVA. Intention-to-treat was applied to the analysis. The results showed that oxygen saturation values and distance in the six-minute walk test of the treatment group significantly increased compared with those in the control group (p < 0.05). Also a significantly higher Borg dyspnea score in six-minute walk test was observed in the treatment group compared with that in the control group (p < 0.05). The results of blood examination were in normal range. Additionally, the COPD Assessment Test scores of the treatment group significantly decreased after receiving A-Paisalee (p < 0.05). In conclusion, this is the first randomized controlled trial evidence that co-treatment with A-Paisalee and standard medicines effectively increases oxygen saturation values and improves the ability to perform daily living in patients with stable mild to moderate COPD.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
2. Amornputtisathaporn N. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. [Internet]. 2008 [2017 Jan 10]; Available from: https://med.mahidol.ac.th/med/sites/default/files/public/pdf/medicinebook1/COPD.pdf (in Thai)
3. Committee on Development of Clinical Practice Guidelines for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Clinical practice guidelines for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Bangkok: Union Ultraviolet Co., Ltd; 2010. (in Thai)
4. Wallisuthi A. Health promotion with alternative medicine. [Internet]. 2017 [2017 Jan 10]; Available from:https://www.pharmacy.mahidol.ac.th/th/service-knowledge-article-info.php?id=98 (in Thai)
5. Pisanuprasatwet P. Wetsueksa textbook of medicine in brief. Bangkok: Thai Yosse Bridge Printing; 1908. (in Thai)
6. Food and Drug Administration. National list of essential medicines (Vol.2) 2011. Bangkok: WVO Office of Printing Mill, The War Veterans Organization of Thailand under Royal Patronage of His Majesty the King; 2011. (in Thai)
7. Mukanachot S, Mukanachot M, Peamnguleum N. A-Paisalee recipe combined with the standard treatment in patients with COPD. Journal of Thai Traditional & Alternative Medicine. 2012;10(2 supplement):42. (in Thai)
8. Genfa W, Baojun L, Yuxue C, Yijie D, Hongying Zh, Qingli L, et al. Effects of two Chinese herbal formulae for the treatment of moderate to severe stable chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: A multicenter, double-blind, randomized controlled trial. PLOS ONE. 2014;9(8): e103168.
8. Guo S, Sun Z, Liu E, Feng J, Fu M, Li Y, et al. Effect of Bufei granule on stable chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a randomized, double blinded, placebo-controlled, and multicenter clinical study. J Tradit Chin Med. 2014;34(4): 437-44.
9. Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease. Pocket guide to COPD diagnosis, management, and prevention 2017 edition. [Internet]. 2011 [2017 Jan 8]; Available from: https://goldcopd.org/pocket-guide-copd-diagnosis-management-prevention-2016/
10. Homhual S. Lepidium sativum Linn. [Internet]. 2010 [2017 Jan 9]; Available from: https://www.thaicrudedrug.com/main.php?action=viewpage&pid=69. (in Thai)
11. Homhual S. Cuminum cyminum L. [Internet]. 2010 [2017 Jan 9]; Available from: https://www.thaicrudedrug.com/main.php?action=viewpage&pid=66. (in Thai)
12. Homhual S. Amomum krervanh Pierre. [Internet]. 2010 [2017 Jan 9]; Available from: https://www.thaicrudedrug.com/main.php?action=viewpage&pid=11 (in Thai)
13. Yoneda KY. Complete blood count (CBC) for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). [Internet]. 2014 [2017 Jan 9]; Available from: https://www.webmd.com/lung/copd/complete-blood-count-cbc-for-chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease-copd