The Practice Guideline in Nursing Laboratory Development to Promote Self-Directed Learning for Nursing Skills among Nursing Students of Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Phra-Phutthabat
การพัฒนาแนวปฏิบัติการใช้ห้องปฏิบัติการพยาบาลเพื่อส่งเสริม การเรียนรู้ทักษะการพยาบาลด้วยตนเอง ของนักศึกษาพยาบาล วิทยาลัยพยาบาลบรมราชชนนี พระพุทธบาท
This study was research and development design that aimed to 1) develop the practice guidelines to promote Self-Directed Learning for nursing skill among nursing students, 2) tested effectiveness of the practice guideline, and 3) evaluate satisfaction of the practice guideline. The study method included 6 steps as follows: 1) Analyzed the situation and problem of nursing laboratory services and practicing nursing skill of nursing students by doing focus group, 2) Reviewed literature related to the promotion of Self-Directed Learning in nursing skills among nursing students, 3) developed the practice guidelines by using the results from situation analysis and literature review, 4) Tested content validity of the practice guideline by 5 experts and content validity index was 0.92, and 5) Tested the practice guideline in 30 nursing students, including 10 students in each level of the 2nd , 3rd and 4th year and testing for reliability found that Cronbach’s alpha was 0.81, and 6) Implemented the guideline in the sample group of 165 nursing students, including 55 students in each level of the 2nd , 3rd and 4th year and evaluated the satisfaction of the practice guideline by using the effectiveness assessment form and satisfaction questionnaire that had content validity of 0.90 and 0.82 retrospectively.
The study results showed that: the practice guideline enhanced Self-Directed Learning for nursing skills in laboratory through 7 steps as follow: 1) the online reservation system, 2). the system of preparation skill practice zone, 3) the access of service system,4) the system of capable seniors to coach nursing skill to junior students, 5) the online teacher counseling system, 6) the online skill evaluation, and 7) the system of skill manual. The result of effectiveness of practice guideline showed that the mean was very good (Mean =4.37, S.D.=0.58) the evaluation of the satisfaction of practice guideline that the mean was good (Mean =4.40, S.D.=0.59)
Conclusion: this guideline can enhance nursing skills of nursing students and teachers, can be used as a guideline for teaching nursing students before taking care of patients.
1. Thailand Nursing and Midwifery Council. Competency of Nurses and Midwives. Bankkok: Siriyodkarnpim; 2010. (in Thai)
2. Skager, R. Curriculum Evaluation for Lifelong Education. Toronto : Pergamon Press; (1977).
3. Pasuk, P. et al. A study of Factors Affects the Self-Directed learning of Full Time Students of Rachapat Suandusit University. Journal of Educational Measurement Mahasarakham University. (2012); 17(1). 151-153. (in Thai)
4. Brent G. Wilson. Constructivist Learning Environments: Case Studies in Instructional Design. United States of America. (1996).
5. Krejcie, R.V., & D.W..Determining Sample Size for Research Activities. Educational and Psychological Measurement. 1970, 30(3). 607-610.
6. Kaemanee, T. Art of Teaching. Bangkok: Chulalongkorn University Press; 2011.
7. Klinchad, R. et al. The Development of Nursing Laboratory Room on Self- Directed Learning of Nursing Student in Pra-pokklao Nursing College. Journal of Phrapokklao Nursing College. (2018).; 30(1). 190-199. (in Thai)
8. Rattanarat, P. et al. The Development of Helping System and Counseling to Student SWU Journal. (2016); 17(1). 47-58. (in Thai)
9. Keawka, S. et al. Development of Online Reservation for Library Rooms Services in the Library, Sakon Nakhorn Rajabhat University. PULINET Journal. (2017); 4(2).71-82. (in Thai)