The Components of 21st Century Learning Skills among Nursing Students of Praboromarajchanok Institute, Ministry of Public Health
องค์ประกอบทักษะการเรียนรู้ในศตวรรษที่ 21 ของนักศึกษาพยาบาล สังกัดสถาบันพระบรมราชชนก กระทรวงสาธารณสุข
This descriptive research aimed to study the componentsof 21st Century learning skills among nursing students of Praboromarajchanok Institute, the Ministry of Public Health. The sample included 400 nursing students who were studying in the second, third, and fourth years of Nursing Colleges of Praboromarajchanok Institutes under the Central Network 2 region and they was recruited by the stratified random sampling technique. Questionnaires were used asthe research tool, developed by the researcher,and consisted of 2 sections. The first waspersonal information (4 items). Thesecond was focused on the components of 21st century learning skills among nursing students which consisted 80 Likert scale items. The content validity was examined by five experts. The Index of Item-Objective Congruence (IOC) of each item ranged from 0.6-1.00. Cronbach’s alpha reliability coefficients of part 2 was 0.96. Data were analyzed by using descriptive statistics and exploratory factor analysiswith Principal Axis Factoring and Promax rotation method.
The results were as follows.1)The 21st Century learning skills among nursing students was composed of 9 factors (72 indicators) and accounted for 72.78 % of the variance. The factors were: 1) Information technology skills (12 item), 2) Learning and innovation skills (15 indicators), 3) Ethical skills (8 indicators), 4) Cross-cultural understanding skills (7 indicators), 5) English Language skills (6 indicators), 6) Leadership skills (8 indicators), 7) Thai Language skills 6 indicators), 8) Arithmetic skills (4 indicators), and 9) Life skills (6 indicators).
Conclusion: The study components of 21st century learning skills get 9 elements, 72 indicators. Nursing educational institutions can apply the elements of learning skills in the the 21st century to propel students to develop 21st century skills
1. Thailand Nursing and Midwifery Council. Bachelor Degree Qualification Standards Nursing Science 2017.[online]. 2017 [cited 2020/13/04] Available from https://www.tnmc.or.th/images/userfiles/files/4_Standard2560(1).pdf (in Thai)
2. Office of the Higher Education Commission. Thai Higher Education Strategy in Preparing to become an ASEAN Community in 2015. Bangkok: Bangkok Block; 2015. (in Thai)
3. Trilling, B. & Fadel, C. Learning and Innovation Skills 21st Century Skills Learning for Life in our Times. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass; 2009.
4. Sangprateeptong, V. Guidelines for Assessment of Learning Outcomes in the 21st Century. Ubon Ratchathani Journal of Research and Evaluation, 2018; 7(1): 1-10. (in Thai)
5. Panich, V. 21st Century Education is 3R 7C. [online]. 2015. [cited 2020/12/01] Available from https://moodrmoo.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/e0b990e0b994-3cs-7rs.pdf. (in Thai)
6. Thanormchayathawat, B., Vanitsuppavong, P., Niemted, W., & Portjanatanti, N., 21st Century Skills: A Challenge for Student Development. The Southern College Network Journal of Nursing and Public Health, 2016; 3(2): 208-222. (in Thai)
7. The Secretariat of the Council of Education. National Education plan. [online]. 2018. [cited 2020/12/01] Available from http://www.onec.go.th/index.php/ page/view/Outstand/2532. (in Thai)
8. Hair, J. F., Jr., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J., & Anderson, R. E. Multivariate Data Analysis (7th ed.). Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice Hall; 2010
9. Nawsuwan, K., Wisalaporn, S., & Sattayarak, W. D. Indicators Development of Nursing Students’s Identity in Nursing Colleges, Ministry of Public Health.Princess of Naradhiwas University Journal, 2018; 7(3): 59-73. (in Thai)
10. Sriphetdee N. Media Literacy. [online]. 2019 [cited 2020/12/01] Available from https://thepotential.org/2018/11/19/media-literacy/ (in Thai)
11. Fakkao S. 21st Century Skill.[online]. 2014 [cited 2020/13/04] Available from
12 Worawong C, Karbmanee N, Manasatchakun P, Khueansombat T. Development of Community-Based Transformative Learning Model to Enhance Humanized Care Identity of Nursing Students.Journal of Health Science, 2019; 28 (Special Issue): 53-64.(in Thai)
13 Songwatthana P. Nursing Research Across Cultures: Research Concepts and Issues. Thai Journal of Nursing Council, 2014; 29(4): 5-21. (in Thai).
14.Tuner K, Leungratanama L, Niranra S, JarnareruJ, WattanakuB, Reunrean T, Twenty First
Century Skills of Nursing Students of Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Chonburi.
Nursing Journal of the Ministry of Public Health, 2015; 25(2); 178-193. (in Thai)
15.Nattakit N. Strategic Teaching Thai Language in the 21st Century of Develop Higher Level Thinking Skills, Journal of Education Silapakorn University,2015; 13(1); 56-69. (in Thai)