The Integrated Clinical Teaching Methods with EBN on Literature Searching Skill, EBN Skills, EBN Attitude, and Nursing Practice in Maternal and Newborn Nursing and Midwifery of Nursing Students
การบูรณาการการสอนภาคปฏิบัติด้วยการใช้หลักฐานเชิงประจักษ์ทางการพยาบาล ที่มีต่อทักษะการสืบค้นวรรณกรรม ทักษะการใช้หลักฐานเชิงประจักษ์ ทัศนคติต่อการใช้หลักฐานเชิงประจักษ์ และทักษะการปฏิบัติการพยาบาลมารดาทารกและการผดุงครรภ์สำหรับนักศึกษาพยาบาล
This study was a quasi-experimental research for one group with a pretest and posttest design in clinical practice. This study aimed to compare literature searching skills, evidence based practice skills, attitude toward evidence based nursing, and nursing practice in maternal and newborn nursing between after and before Integrated clinical teaching methods with evidence based nursing. The participants were 90 third year nursing students. They were assigned to practice at a prenatal clinic, labor and delivery room, and postpartum ward for total of eight weeks. Clinical teaching methods were practiced in real clinical settings and integrated using evidence based nursing. Students assessed the patient, asked the paroblem, acquired the evidence, acquired critically appraisal the evidence, and applied and evaluated the evidences.The instruments consisted of a literature searching skill questionaire, evidence based nurrsing skill questionaire, attitude of using evidence based nursing questionaire, and nursing practice skill in maternal newborn nursing and midwifery questionaire. The content validity was qualified by experts and the reliability of the instruments were 0.79, 0.83 ,0.62 and 0.91 respectively. The data were analyzed using descriptive statistics and a pair t-test.
The results showed that after integreting EBN in nursing practice, there were significant increases in mean of literacy searching skills from 2.10 to 3.36, at the level of significant of 0.001 ,mean of evidence based nursing skills from 2.10 to 3.42 at the level of significant of 0.001. ,mean
of nursing practice skills also increased from 2.77 to 3.43 at the level of significant of 0.001. However, mean of attitude toward evidence based nursing significantly decreased from 3.08 to 2.77, at the level of significant of 0.001.
Conclusion: integrated clinical teaching method with evidence based nursing improved literacy searching skills, evidence based nursing skills, and nursing practice in the third year nursing students, but did not significantly enhance attitude toward evidence based nursing.
1. Chen CM, & Lou MF. The Effectiveness and Application of Mentorship Programs for Recently Registered Nurses: a Systematic Review. Journal of Nursing Management, 2014; 22(4): 433-442.
2. Schaffer MA, Sandau KE, & Diedrick L. Evidence‐Based Practice Models for
Organizational Change: Overview and Practical Applications. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 2013; 69(5): 1197-1209.
3. Potter PA. & Perry AG. Fundamental of Nursing. 6th ed. St.Louis: Mosby; 2005
4. Melnyk BM, Fineout-Overholt E. Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing & Healthcare: A Guide to Best Practice. 3rd ed.Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer Health; 2015.
5. Prasertsri N, Jirappapa M, Chareannukul A. The Effect of Evidence Based Practice (EBP) Teaching Program on the EBPCcompetence of Nursing Students. Nursing Public Health and Education Journal, 2016; 17(3): 144-155.
6. Duke University Medical Center Library. Introduction to Evidence Based Practice [online] 2017.[cited 2017/6/7] Available from: http://guides.mclibrary.duke. edu/c.php?g=158201&p=1036002
7. Zedeh HH, Khajeali N, Khalkhali H, Mohammadpour Y. Effect of Evidence-Based Nursing on Critical Thinking Disposition among Nursing Students. Life Science Journal, 2014;11(9): 487-499.
8. Reid J, Briggs J, Carlisle S, Scott D, & Lewis C. Enhancing Utility and Understanding of Evidence Based Practice through Undergraduate Nurse Education. BMC Nursing, 2017;16:58.
9. Department of Education Development, Praboromarajchanok Institute. Handbook for Learning Outcomes Evaluation as the Thai Qualifications Framework for Higher Education, Nursing Science (1st revised version). Nontaburi : Praboromarajchanok Institute; 2013.(in Thai)
10. Upton P, Scurlock- Evan L,& Upton D. Development of the Student Evidence-Based. Practice Questionnaire (S-EBPQ), Nurse Education Today, 2016; 37:38-44.
11. George D, & Mallery M. SPSS for Windows Step by Step: A Simple Guide and Reference, Update. 10th ed. Boston: Pearson; 2010.
12. Majid S, Foo S, Zhang X ,Mokhtar IA ,Luyt B, Chang Y & Theng YL. Nurses’ Information use and Literature Searching Skills for Evidence Based Practices. Malaysian Journal of Library & Information Science, 2013; 18(1): 67-78.
13. Aglen B. Pedagogical Strategies to Teach Bachelor Students Evidence-Based Practice: A Systematic Review. Nurse Education Today, 2016; 36: 255–263.
14. Fuller B. Evidence-Based Instructional Strategies: Facilitating Linguistically Diverse Nursing Student Learning. Nurse Educator, 2013; 38(3), 118-121.
15. Black AT, Balneaves LG, Garossino C, Puyat JH, Qian H. Promoting Evidence-Based
Practice Through a Research Training Program for Point-of-Care Clinicians. Journal of Nursing Administration, 2015; 45(1):14-20.
16. Kanhadilok S, Pungsumreung T, & Malai C. Evidence Based Teaching Strategies in Nursing.
Journal of Nursing Health Care, 2017; 35(4): 34-41.