Main Article Content
The present study was quasi-experimental research based on a follow up study. This self-management program was designed with the aim of comparing xerostomia in older persons with head and neck cancer receiving radiation during an experimental group and control group. The sample was composed of older persons with head and neck cancer receiving radiation in the Radiation Therapy Out-Patient Department, Rajavithi Hospital. The sample was divided into a control group composed of 20 subjects receiving routine care only and an experimental group composed of 20 subjects receiving the self-management program. Data was collected by using a questionnaire on personal information and a xerostomia rating scale. Reliability of xerostomia scale under Cronbach’s alpha coefficient was 0.89. Data was analyzed using frequency, percentage, mean, standard deviation and repeated measures ANOVA. The effect of program showed that the total mean scale of xerostomia was 5.45 in the control group and 1.03 in the experimental group. The severity of xerostomia of the older persons with head and neck cancer receiving radiation in the group receiving the self-management program was significantly lower than the group receiving routine care at .05 (p < .05).
2. Ahmad A. 7 Head and neck cancers you should know. [Internet]. [cited 2018 January 9]. Available from: https://reference.medscape.com/features/slideshow/head-and-neck-cancers.
3. Nation Cancer Insitutute. Hospital- based cancer registry 2015. Bangkok: Pornsupprint; 2017.
4. Vatanasapt P, Thanaviratananich S, Ratanaanekchai T, Thepsuthammarat K. The burden of head and neck cancers in Thailand. J Med Assoc Thai 2012;95 Suppl 7:S182-9.
5. Conway DI, Brenner DR, McMahon AD, Macpherson LMD, Agudo A, Ahrens W, et al. Estimating and explaining the effect of education and income on head and neck cancer risk: inhance consortium pooled analysis of 31 case-control studies from 27 countries. Int J Canc 2015;136(5):1125-39.
6. Spijkervet F, Vissink A. Post-radiation osteonecrosis (osteoradionecrosis) of jaws. In: Davies AN, Epstein JB, editors. Oral complications of cancer and its management Bangalore: MPG Books Group, Bodmin and King’s Lynn; 2010. p. 117-20.
7. Jensen SB, Pederson AML, Nauntofte B. Other causes of dry mouth: the list is endless. In: Sreebny LM, Vissink A, editors. Dry mouth the malevolent symptom: a clinical guide. Iowa: Blackwell Publishing; 2010. p. 178-9.
8. Pinna R, Campus G, Cumbo E, Mura I, Milia E. Xerostomia induced by radiotherapy: an overview of the physiopathology, clinical evidence, and management of the oral damage. Therapeut Clin Risk Manag 2015;11:171-88.
9. Chitapanarux I. The effects of radiation on the treatment of head and neck cancer. In: Chitapanarux I, editor. The impact of cancer treatment. Chiang Mai: Thrik Think; 2014. p. 111-30. (in Thai).
10. Bressan V, EBagnasco A, Aleo G, Catania G, Zanini MP, Timmins F, et al. The life experience of nutrition impact symptoms during treatment for head and neck cancer patients: a systematic review and meta-synthesis. Support Care Canc 2017;25(5):1699-712.
11. Miller M, Scully C. Mosby’s textbook of dental nursing. London: Elsevier; 2011.
12.Pojdoung N, Thongpan S, Chindavijak S. The effect of oral care practice guidelines on quality of life among nasopharyngeal cancer patients with radiation-induced xerostomia. Thai Cancer J 2015;35(3):90-102. (in Thai).
13. U-raipunt Y. Factors associated with self-health care behaviors of cancer patients received chemotherapy at Phramongkutklao hospital. J Royal Thai Arm Nurs 2104;15(1):87-92. (in Thai).
14. Hansakul A, Porsing S. Knowledge and practice of participatory learning to elderly’s health self-care promotion in Nongbuakhok sub-district Chatturat district Chaiyaphum province. J Fac Physi Edu 2012;15(supplement):189-200. (in Thai).
15. Takayama K, Demizu Y, Fuwa N. Radiotherapy. In: Omura K, Kirita T, editors. Oral cancer diagnosis and therapy. Tokyo: Springer Science & Business Media; 2015. p. 285-306.
16. Lawn S, McMillan J, Pulvirenti M. Chronic condition self-management: expectations of responsibility. Patient Educ Couns 2011;84:e5-e8.
17. Ratchawong W, Chayaput P, Kimpee S, Leumwananonthachai N. Impact of a self-management oral care program on stomatitis in head and neck cancer patients treated with radiotherapy or radio-chemotherapy. Thai J Nurs Council 2013;28(1):34-48. (in Thai).
18. Kunsara P, Putwatana P, Junda T. The effects of the oral self-care program on chemotherapy related oral mucositis in patients with cancer. Rama Nurs J 2013;19(1):73-86. (in Thai).
19. Kuthasema P, Putwatana P, Junhavat D. Experience of xerostomia, management, and outcomes in patients with head and neck cancer post radiation. Rama Nurs J 2010;16(1):40-53. (in Thai) .
20. Lorig KR, Holman H. Self-management education: history, definition, outcome and machanisms. Ann Behav Med 2003;26(1):1-7.
21. Dat AD, Poon F, Pham KBT, Doust J. Aloe vera for treating acute and chronic wounds. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2012, 2(CD008762). DOI:10.1002/14651858.CD008762.pub2.
22. Karim B, Bhaskar DJ, Agali C, Gupta D, Gupta RK, Jain A, et al. Effect of aloe vera mouthwash on periodontal health: triple blind randomized control trial. Oral health and dent manag 2014;13(1):14-9.
23. Morales-Bozo I, Rojas G, Ortega-Pinto A, Espinoza I, Soto L, Plaza A, et al. Evaluation of the efficacy of two mouthrinses formulated for the relief of xerostomia of diverse origin in adult subjects. Gerodontology 2012;29(2):e1103-12.
24. Puataweepong P, Dhanachai M, Dangprasert S, Sithatani C, Sawangsilp T, Narkwong L, Puttikaran P, Intragumtornchai T. The efficacy of oral aloe vera juice for radiationinduced mucositis in head and neck cancer patients: a double-blind placebo controlled study. Asian Biomed 2009;3(4):375-82. (in Thai)
25. Sinthusake T, Suriyan N, Eiambutlop N, Chaiaroon W, Mettrai S, Neaungkota P. Efficacy of artificial saliva made from aloe vera with xylitol and fluoride and drinking water in prevention of gingivitis and xerostomia in head and neck cancer patients undergoing radiation and chemotherapy. J Dent Assoc Thai 2008;58(3):189-95.
26. Acharya JK, Garg DR, Mathur R, Jakhar SL, Mahawar NL, Kwatra A, et al. Aloe vera: an ancient herb for radiation induced xerostomia and oral fibrosis. Ann Oncol 2015;26(9):93-102.
27. Eisbruch A, Kim HM, Terrell JE, Marsh LH, Dawson LA, Ship JA. Xerostomia and its predictors following parotid-sparing irradiation of head-and-neck cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2001;50(3):695-704.
28. Chow SC, Shao J, Wang H. Sample size calculations in clinical research. 2nd ed. Basel: Marcel Dekker; 2003. p. 16.
29. Putwatana P, Sanmanowong P, Pitiporn S, Unprasertpong L, Chunda T, Nakwong L. Comparison of the efficacy of benzodiazepine hydrochloride in preventing and relieving inflammation in the oral cavity of radiotherapy in patients with head and neck cancer. Bangkok. Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University; 2006. (in Thai)
30. Slev VN, Misman P, Pasman HRW, Verdonck-de Leeuw IM, Van Uden-Kraan CF, Francke AL. Effects of health for patients and informal caregivers confronted with cancer: a meta-review. Int J Med Informat 2016;87:54-67.
31. Jansen F, Van Uden-Kraan CF, van Zwieten V, Witte BI, Verdonck-de Leeuw IM. Cancer survivors’ perceived need for supportive care and their attitude towards self-management and health. Support Care Canc 2015;23(6):1679-88.
32. Hopkinson JB. Nutritional support of the elderly cancer patient: the role of the nurse. Nutrition 2015;31(4):598-602.
33. van den Berg MGA, Kalf JG, Hendrinks JCM, Takes RP, van Herpen CML, Wanten GJA, et al. Normalcy of food intake in patients with head and neck cancer supported by combined dietary counseling and swallowing therapy: a randomized clinical trial. Head Neck 2015;38(S1):E198-E206.
34. Neena IE, Ganesh E, Poomima P, Korishettar R. An ancient herb aloe vera in dentistry: a review. J Oral Res and Rev 2015;7(1):25-30.
35. Pol JS, Patil BA, Sodhi A, Tadiparthi J. Evaluation of therapeutic effect of aloe vera juice and gel in the management of symptomatic oral lichen planus. Int J of Med Dent Sci 2016;5(2):1138-44.