The Effectiveness of a Health Promotion Program on Quality of Life of the Elderly with Chronic Diseases
The quasi-experimental (one group pre-post test design) aimed to study the effects of health promotion
program on quality of life among elderly, people with chronic diseases. The purposive sampling was use to selected 40 participants from Na-fai subdistrict elderly club with chronic diseases. The research instrument was composed of the elderly health promotion program. In this program, the participants involved in the activities related to health education, group process, discussion, demonstration and practice. The program was carried out for 8 weeks. Data were collected by WHOQOL-BREF-THAI with the Cronbach’s alpha of 0.90. Data were analyzed by frequency, percentage, mean, standard deviation, and paired t-test. The results revealed that mean score of health promotion behaviors after the program implementation was
higher than that before the program implementation with statistically significance at .05 (p <0.001). The results revealed that mean score of quality of life of the elderly with chronic diseases after the program implementation was higher than that before the program implementation with statistically significance at .05 (p <0.001). Therefore, agencies involved in the care of the elderly should promote healthy aging by applying such programs to improve the quality of life of the elderly with chronic diseases.
2. Mille AM. Iris M. Health promotion attitudes and strategies in older adults. Health Education Behavior 2002; 29 (2): 249-67.
3.Boontae U., Tawchantuk S. Elder’s health status and quality f life under the health care provided by community network and simulated families. Journal of nursing and health care. July-September 2017; 35(3): 176-185.
4.Kaeodumkoeng K, Thummakul D. Health literacy promoting in aging population. Journal of Health Science Research, July-December 2015; 9(2): 1-8.
5.Rasiri T, Songthap A. Health Promotion for the Elderly: Guidelines for strong partnership and dynamic network participation in the 21th century. The southern college network journal of nursing and public health. January-April 2018; 5(1): 315-328.
6.Gadudom P, Hemchayat M. Effects of an Elderly Health Promotion Program in Bangkaja Sub-District Municipality, Amphur Muang, Chanthaburi. Journal of Phrapokklao Nursing College. March-August 2011; 22(2): 61-70.
7.Rasiri T., Songthap A., Health Promotion for the Elderly: Guidelines for strong partnership and dynamic network participation in the 21th century. The southern college network journal of nursing and public health. January-April 2018; 5(1): 315-328.
8.Khaemnin K, Kompor. Potential Development in Elderly Health Self-Care: Ban Kogesa-Ad Moo 4 Ho Kham Sub-District Mueang Bueng Kan District Bueng Kan Province. KKU Journal for Public Health Research. July-September 2013; 6(3): 75-84.
9.Mahem K, Srioat P. The Effectiveness of the Appreciation Influence Control (AIC) Process to Improve Knowledge and Behavior on Self -care of Older People at Banped Subdistrict, Muang District, KhonKaenProvince. The Journal of Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Nakhonratchasima. July-December 2012; 18 (2): 5-19.
10. Lainumngun P., Khamra C., Dejthai T. The Participative Management for Elderly Clubs Implementation in Kokjaroen District of Lopburi Province. KKU Research Journal. 2010; 15(1): 45-56.
11. Siritipakorn P, Muangpaisan WPisalsarakij D, Chaopanitwet P, Laojan P, Pitiyarn S, et al. Prevalence of Geriatric Syndromes and Characteristics of Elderly Patients in Geriatric Clinic, Siriraj Hospital. Journal of Nursing and Health Care 2019; 37(3): 20-29.
12.Jumneansuk, A., Detboon, P., Mingmai, K., Phophak, S., Phoha S., & Phanitcharoen, S. (2012). Quality of Life among Elderly who are Living with Chronic Diseases, Srichomphu District, Khon Khan Province. Ratchaphruek Journal, 15 (2), 16-26.
13. Somboontanon W, Auttakornkowit C. Effects of Health-Promoting Education Program on Health Status, Health knowledge, and Healthy Behavior among Urban Community Dwelling Elders with Chronic Liiness in Bangkok. Journal of Nursing, Siam University, 19 (36), 49-65.
14. Chaiyaphum Provincial Health Office. Health Data Center. [databaseInternet]. 2019[cited2019Jan18]. Available from cpho.moph.go.th.
15. Nualsithong N, Phuchongchai T, Buajan A. The Development of Model Activities for Elders’ Quality of
Life Improvement in Tambon Na Fai, Muang District, Chaiyaphum Province. Journal of Nursing and Health Care 2020; 38(1): 42-48.
16. Lalun A, Boonthai C, Ponnimitporn S, kemthong K, Pummarak S. Quality of Life Among Elderly with Chronic Disease at Naphai Subdistrict Health Promotion Hospital, Chaiyaphum Province Journal of Boromarajonani Collage of Nursing, Surin 2018; 8(1): 59-69.
17. Phuchongchai T, Nuansithong N. Health status and quality of life of the elderly in Mueang Chaiyaphum District Chaiyaphum Province At the 4th National and International Academic Conference “Integrating Research into Thailand 4.0. ”2017. July 21, 2017, Northeastern University Khon Kaen.2017.
18. Mahatnirunkul S, et al. Comparison of the WHO Quality of Life Measurements. Every 100 indicators and 26 indicators, Suan Prung Hospital Chiang Mai Province; 1977.
19. Nakasuwan V. The Effectiveness of Health Promotion Program for the Elderly on the Quality of Life in the Community. 2020; 12(1): 171-180.
20. Bandura. A. Social foundations of thought and action: A Social CognitiveTheory; New Jersey: Prentice-Hall Inc., Englewood Cliffs; 1986.
21. Phuchongchai T, Nuansithong N. Effects of an Eldely Health Promotion in Mueng Chaiyapum District, Chaiyaphum Province. Community Health Development Quarterly Khon Kaen University. 2019; 7(1): 1-18.
22. Panyasai K, Kitisri C, Ngerndee P. Effectiveness of health promotion programs for Quality of Life Basic Need among the Elderly. The Public Health Journal of Burapha University. 2017; 12 (2), 65-74.
23. Armartmuntree T, Kankarn W, Mongthaweepongsa S.Cost – Effectiveness of Sufficiency Health Promotion Program in Elders with Chronic Disease in Semi-urban Context, Yasothon Province Wason Krimwiratkul Dip Thai Board of Family Medicine. Journal of Nursing and Health Care 2018; 36(1): 100-108.
24. Ounnapiruk L, Ronnarithivichai C, Ucharattana P, et al. Quality of life among elderly : The Meta-analysis. Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine. 2012; 6(1):2-12.
Copyright (c) 2020 Journal of Nursing and Health Care
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.