Main Article Content
With increasing complexity of the healthcare system and significance of quality and safety in patient care, nurses should be prepared to be leaders of nursing practice and contribute their advanced nursing practices in the nursing profession. Doctor of nursing practice program (DNP program) expands the doctoral education to enhance advanced practice nurses’ competencies within the current health care environment. In this article, the authors describe background of the doctor of nursing practice program in the United States of America and in Thailand to see a meaningful change in doctoral nursing education. The DNP program implementation in Thailand was analyzed and discussed.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
2. Moron, K., Burson, R., & Conrad, D. The doctor of nursing practice scholarly project: A framework for success. 2nd ed. Burlington, MA: Jones & Barlette Learning; 2017.
3. Hathaway, D., Jacob, S., Stegbauer, C., Thompson, C., & Graff, C. The practice doctorate: Perspective of early adopters. Journal of Nursing Education 2006; 45(12): 487-496.
4. Cronenwett, et al. The doctor of nursing practice: A national workforce perspective. Nursing Outlook 2011; 59: 9-17.
5. https://www.doctorofnursingpractice.org. Accessed February 5, 2019.
6. Chase, S. K., & Pruitt, R. H. The practice doctorate: Innovation or disruption? Journal of Nursing Education 2006; 45(5): 155-161.
7. Swider, S. M., Levin, P., Cowell, J., Breakwell, S., Holland, P., &Wallinder, J. Community/public health nursing practice leaders’ view of the doctorate of nursing practice. Public Health Nursing2009; 26(5): 405-411.
8. American of College of Nursing. Fact Sheet: The Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP). Retrieved from https://www.aacnnursing.org/Portals/42/News/Factsheets/DNP-Factsheet-2019.pdf. Accessed December 30, 2019.
9. Tussing, T. E. , Brinkman, B., Francis, D., Hixon, B., Labardee, R., &Chipps, E. The impact of the doctorate of nursing practice nurse in a hospital setting 2018; 48(12): 600-602.
10. American Association of Colleges of Nursing. The essentials of doctoral education for advanced nursing practice. 2006; https://www.pncb.org/sites/default/files/2017-2/Essentials_of_DNP_Education.pdf. Accessed February 6, 2019.
11. Teerathongkum, S. A guideline of power building to achieve sustainable development of nursing practice. 2017; http://www3.thainurse.org/new/phocadownload/25600503-05/05-doc.pdf. Accessed April 6, 2019. (in Thai)
12. Board certify training program in advanced nursing practice from website of Thailand Nursing and Midwifery Council https://www.tnmc.or.th/news/54. Accessed February 6, 2019. (in Thai)
13. Udlis, K. A., &Mancusco, J. M. Perceptions of the role of the doctor of nursing practice-prepared nurse: Clarity or confusion. Journal of Professional Nursing 2015; 31(4): 274-283.
14. Dracup, Cronenwett, Melies, & Benner. Reflections on the doctorate of nursing practice. Nursing Outlook 2005; 53: 177-182.
15. Embree JL, Meek J, Ebright P. Voices of chief nursing executives informing a doctor of nursing practice program. Journal of Professional Nursing. 2018 Jan 1;34(1):12-5.
16. Waldrop JB. Are Nurse Practitioners With a Doctor of Nursing Practice Degree Making a Difference in Health Care?. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners. 2017 Apr 1;13(4):A13.
17. Mancuso JM, Udlis KA, Anbari AB. Comments surrounding the doctor of nursing practice (DNP): Stress, ambiguity, and strain. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice. 2017;7(4):76-86.