EFFECT OF AN EXERCISE PROGRAM USING THERA-BAND ON LEG AND JOINT MOBILITY IN PATIENTS WITH KNEE OSTEOARTRITIS
Keywords:Knee osteoarthritis, Exercise program, Joint mobility, Thera-band
Knee osteoarthritis is an important public health problem. Knee osteoarthritis often results in knee pain, stiffness and a decrease in joint function. Patients experience a decrease in quality of life. The purpose of this quasi-experimental research was to study the effect of an exercise program using the thera-band exercise, the Health Belief Model (HBM) and Social Support (SS) for patients with knee osteoarthritis. Subjects were 40 patients, aged 50 – 65 years old divided into two groups of 20 patients each. The experimental group received a health education and exercise program with thera-band exercise performed 3 days/week for 6 weeks. Research instruments included a researcher-developed questionnaire based on HBM and SS for exercise behavior which was used at pre- and post-test (after 6 weeks). The Modified WOMAC Thai index was used to assess joint function at pre-test and every week. Range of motion (ROM) of the knee was measured by Goniometer at pre- and post-test.
After the program, the experimental group had a significantly increased mean score of HBM and SS (p < 0.001) with the Modified WOMAC Thai index showing a significant decrease (p < 0.001) compared to the pre-test and the comparison group. ROM was also significantly improved (p < 0.001). While exercise behavior did not show a significant difference (p = 0.186), the thera-band exercise program may be a better choice for basic exercise treatment in knee osteoarthritis.
2. Linden M.P.M.van, & et al. Comparison of the 1987 American College of Rheumatology Criteria and the 2010 American College of Rhumatology/ European League Against Rheumatism Criteria. Arthritis and Rheumatism 2011; 63(1): 37-42.
3. Chopra Arvind. The COPCORD world of musculoskeletal pain and arthritis. Rheumatology 2013; 52(11):1925-1928.
4. World Health Organization. The burden of muscoloskeletal conditions at the start of the new millenium. Retrieved from WHO scientific group 2003.
5. National Statistical Office Survey of Elderly in Thailand 2559. Bangkok. National statistical offices2560. (in Thai)
6. sorawut thamyongkij and yuktanandana ponsa. The book 50 years Orthopedic Bendix. The Royal College of Orthopedic discs of 2558; 123-172. (in Thai)
7. Nongpimol Nimit, R.N., M.S., Dr.P.H. The Epidemiological Situation and Risk Assessment of Knee Osteoarthritis among Thai People. Journal of the Royal Thai Army Nurses. 2557;15(3):185-194. (in Thai)
8. The royal college of orthopedic surgeons of Thailand. Guideline for the Treatment of Osteoarthritis of Knee. Rheumatism Blossom Association of Thailand. 2554; 15- 24. (in Thai)
9. The report concluded patients with muscle and joint Annual 2559. Physical Tharapy Department, Kaukhitchakut Hospital 2560. (in Thai)
10. Fransen M, & et al. Exercise for osteoarthritis of the knee. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2015 ;( 1):102-7.
11. Napapornp Thanapiyawat. The Community Participation on Care Model Development for Elderly with Knee Osteoarthritis. Paper presented at the research 4.0. RTUNC 2017 the 2nd National Conference, Ubon Ratchathan 2017; 2:65-75. (in Thai)
12. Purichaya weerasirirat, & et al. FFECT OF PHYSICAL THERAPY MANAGEMENT IN MONK WITH OA KNEE. Burapa University 2557; 1-8. (in Thai)
13. Rangsiya Narin, & et al. Development of a Community Participation Program for Caring Older Adults with Knee Osteoarthritis. Nursing Journal 2558; 42(3):170-181. (in Thai)
14. Arun jirawatkul. Biostatistics for Health Science Research. Khon Kaen. Biostatistics sector. Faculty of Public Health, Khon Kaen University 2551. (in Thai)
15. Becker H.Marshall. The health Belief Model and Preventive Health Behavior. Health Education Monographs 1974; 2(4): 354-385.
16. House, J. S., Umberson, D., & Landis, K. R. Structures and process of social support. Annual Review of Sociology 1988; 14: 293- 318.
17. Janice S. Todd, Jason P. Shurley, & Terry C. Todd. Thomas L. Delorm and the Science of Progressive Resistance Exercise. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 2012; 26(11):2913-2923.
18. Naichanok Thinchana. Effects of Home Exercise Promoting Program Using a Stretched Rubber Band on the Physical Fitness of the Elderly. Songkla University 2559; 25-39. (in Thai)
19. Narirat Sangwornwongpana. Knee Strengthening Exercise in the Elderly with Knee Osteoarthritis, Mueang District, Phetchaburi
How to Cite
บทความที่ตีพิมพ์และแผนภูมิรูปภาพถือเป็นลิขสิทธิ์ของวารสารพยาบาลสาธารณสุข (Thai Public Health Nurses Association)