EFFECT OF DISCHARGE PLANNING FOR PEDIATRIC PATIENTS WITH BILIARY ATRESIA USING D-M-E-T-H-O-D MODEL ON CAREGIVER’S KNOWLEDGE IN DISEASE AND CARING BEHAVIORS
Keywords:discharge planning, children with biliary atresia, knowledge, behavior, caregiver
This study is a quasi - experimental research aimed to determine the effect of discharge planning using D-M-E-T-H-O-D model based on knowledge and behavior of caregivers for children with biliary atresia. The 12 subjects of this study were purposively selected who took care of children admitted in the pediatric ward, by providing 3 sessions of discharge planning information for 30-50 minutes/session. Research instruments were the tools to determine the knowledge and caring behaviors in child care for biliary atresia. The reliability of showed 0.99 and 0.86, respectively. Data were analyzed using paired t-test. The results showed that the scores of knowledge and behavior of the subjects were significantly higher than before using discharge planning (t = -5.94, p<.001 and t = -9.31, p<.001, respectively).
2. Dillon PW, Tracy TF. Biliary atresia. In: Oldham KT, Colombani PM, Foglia RP, Skinner MA, editors. Principles and practice of pediatric surgery. Vol 2. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2005, p. 1475–93.
3. Medical Record and Statistics Section, Srinagarind Hospital. Statistic of patients at Srinagarind Hospital 2017. Vol. 37. Khon Kaen: The Hospital; 2017. (in Thai)
4. Children’s ward 2D, Srinagarind Hospital. Statistic of pediatric patients at Srinagarind Hospital 2015-2017 [document]. Khon Kaen: The Hospital; 2017. (in Thai)
5. James SR, Ashwill JW. Arrhythmias. In: Nursing care of children: principles & practice. 3rd ed. St. Louis, MO: Saunders/Elsevier; 2007, p. 559–61.
6. Sawaengdee K. Patient discharge planning guidelines. Nonthaburi: Nursing Division; 2539. (in Thai)
7. Pormsri M. Effectiveness of discharge planning on mother’s knowledge and care of premature baby, nursery, Udonthani Hospital [independent study report]. Khon Kaen: Khon Kaen Univ.; 2014. (in Thai)
8. Nuantase P. The effect of instruction on knowledge and practice in endemic goiter patients [thesis]. Khon Kaen: Khon Kaen Univ.; 1994. (in Thai)
9. Buakerd P. Effect of discharge planning for children aged 0-5 years old with acute respiratory infections using D-M-E-T-H-O-D Model on caregiver’s knowledge in disease and caring [independent study report]. Khon Kaen: Khon Kaen Univ.; 2009. (in Thai)
10. Phiancharoen N. Effects of teaching the patient home care by using caring theory on knowledge satisfaction and caring behaviors of neurological disease patients’caregivers [thesis]. Bangkok: Chulalongkorn Univ.; 1996. (in Thai)
11. Geurgoolgijagan N. Teaching patients in the hospital. Songkhla: Department of Nursing Education Administration and Nursing Services, Faculty of Nursing, Prince of Songkla Univ.; 1998. (in Thai)
12. Chaichanawong B. Effect of discharge planning for children with dengue hemorrhagic fever using D-M-E-T-H-O-D model on caregiver’s knowledge and practice [independent study report]. Khon Kaen: Khon Kaen Univ.; 2011. (in Thai)
13. Janburmee. Discharge planning model for children aged 0-5 years old with febrile convulsion, Nongkhai hospital [independent study report]. Khon Kaen: Khon Kaen Univ.; 2011. (in Thai)
How to Cite
The Journal of Nursing Science and Health is copyright holder of published articles. Distributions of articles published in Journal of Nursing Science and Health including online, photocopying which is not for teaching-learning purpose, publication submission elsewhere are prohibited except obtaining permission from the Journal of Nursing Science and Health.