THE EFFECTS OF EDUCATIVE SUPPORTIVE PROGRAM USING CARTOON BOOK, PLAY ACTIVITY AND HOME VISIT ON SELF-CARE BEHAVIORS FOR SCHOOL AGE CHILDREN WITH THALASSEMIA
Keywords:self-care behaviors , educative supportive program, Thalassemia
This quasi - experimental research aimed to study the effects of educative supportive program using cartoon book, play activity and home visit on self-care behaviors for school age children with Thalassemia. The sample was 30 school age children with Thalassemia at in patient pediatric services, Mahasarakam Hospital. There were 2 groups: 15 of the control group received conventional nursing care, and 15 of the experimental group received educative supportive program. The research instruments were a record of personal information and an interview about caring behavior of self - care for school age children with Thalassemia using the model of Orem’s self-care. Content validity of the instruments was checked by 5 experts CVI was at 0.63. The reliability of the interview was calculated using Cronbach's alpha coefficient, and it was at 0.74. The data were analyzed using the percentage, mean score, standard deviation score, and t-test.
treatment of diseases: Blood that is common in Thailand. Bangkok; 2014.
2. Tojarus K. Thalassemia : Diagnosis and screening of carriers. Boonchian Pansathienkun
(Editor). Thalassemia and advice. Bangkok; 2007.
3. Tojarus K. (2013). Thalassemia: Iron overload, clinical consequences and iron chelators.
Accessible from https://www.thalassemia.or.th/ magazine/18-1/tf-magazine-12-06.pdf
4. Sanguanpong Y. Relationship between selected factors and self-care of pediatric patients Thalassemia,
Chaiyaphum Hospital. [master’s Thesis]. Khon Kaen: Khon Kaen University; 2008. (in Thai).
5. Naka P. (2551). Family experience in caring for children with thalassemia. [Thesis]. Phitsanulok:
Naresuan University; 2008. (in Thai).
6. Information. Patient statistics, Mahasarakham Hospital. Mahasarakha ; 2014.
7. Orem, D.E. Nursing:Concept of Practice. 5thed. St Louis: Mosby Year Book; 1995.
8. Chantachum W. Nursing research: Sample selection and sample size determination Khon Kaen; 2002.
9. Mookrod S. Effcts of supportive-educative nursing system on maternal care behavior and self care behaviors of school age children with thalassemia. [Thesis]. Bangkok: Chulalongkorn University; 2008. (in Thai).
10. Ritjaroon P. Principles of measurement and evaluation of education. Bangkok; 2009.
11. Chamontree J. The effects of preparation program on self-care behaviors for school-age children
with thalassemia admitted in hospital. [Thesis]. Khon Kaen: Khon Kaen University; 2008.
12. Piasupan R. The effects of educative supportive program using VCD and handbook on
caregivers’ caring behaviors for school age epilepsy.[Thesis]. Khon Kaen: Khon Kaen University; 2009. (in Thai).
13. Ngokwong C. The effect of learning program through a group process and cartoon story book on self care behavior in school age children with thalassemia. [Thesis]. Khon Kaen: Khon Kaen University; 2009. (in Thai).
14. Thepbangchak P., Potchanamart C. and Senarat W. The Effects of providing information through
Comic books on knowledge of infection prevention of school-age children. Thai Journal of
Nursing Council Vol. 23 No.4 October-December 2008.
15. Suttirat.C. 80 Innovative learning-focused learning management. Bangkok; 2009.
16. Intharakamhang A. Changing health behavior. Bangkok; 2009
17. Sutchukorn S. Art of service. Bangkok; 2007.
18. Orem, D.E. Nursing:Concept of Practice. 6thed. St Louis: Mosby Year Book; 2001.
19. Hancharoenkun S. (Editor). Self-care: science and art in nursing. Bangkok; 2001.
20. Jirakal C. The effect of supportive nursing system and provide knowledge on self-care behaviors and
caring behavior of people who rely on diabetes and family. [Thesis]. Khon Kaen: Khon Kaen
University; 2007. (in Thai).
How to Cite
The Journal of Nursing Science and Health is copyright holder of published articles. Distributions of articles published in Journal of Nursing Science and Health including online, photocopying which is not for teaching-learning purpose, publication submission elsewhere are prohibited except obtaining permission from the Journal of Nursing Science and Health.