THE RELATIONSHIPS BETWEEN ILLNESS PERCEPTION, SELECTED BASIC FACTORS AND SELF- CARE BEHAVIOR OF ADOLESCENT WITH CANCER
Keywords:self- care behaviors, adolescents with cancer.
This descriptive research aimed to explore relationships between illness perceptions, selected basic factors, and self- care behaviors of adolescent with cancer. The participants were 90 adolescents, aged between 13-18 years, Purposive sampling methods were used to include the participants. Fisher’s exact test and Spearman rank correlation coefficient were analyzed to explore the relationships between variables. The overall of Illness perceptions and self-care behaviors of the adolescents with cancer were good ( = 3.39, SD = 0.49; = 3.38, SD = 0.32). Illness perception, age, duration of illness Sex, educational level, family feature, and kinds of cancer were not significantly associated with self-care behaviors of the adolescent with cancer (p>0.05).
Keywords: self- care behaviors, adolescents with cancer.
2. Imsamran W, Chaiwerawattana A, Wiangnon S, Pongnikorn D, Suwanrungrung K, Sangrajrang S, et al. Cancer in Thailand: Vol. VIII, 2010–2012. Bangkok: National Cancer Institute Thailand. 2015 [Internet]. [cited 2017 March 25]. Available from: https://www.nci.go.th/en/cancer_record/cancer_rec1.html
3. Cancer unit, faculty of medicine Khon kaen university. Hospital-based cancer registry. Khon kaen: Srinagarind hospital; (2017). (in Thai)
4. Khon Kaen hospital. Hospital-based cancer registry. Khon Kaen: Khon kaen hospital; (2018). (in Thai)
5. Li H C W, Lopez V, Joyce C O K, Ho K Y, Chiu S Y. The impact of cancer on the physical, psychological and social well-being of childhood cancer survivors. European Journal of Oncology Nursing: The Official Journal of European Oncology Nursing Society. (2013).17(2): 214–9.
6. Ketkaew K, Patoomwan A, Kongsaktrakol C. Perceived needs and satisfied needs of adolescents with cancer during hospitalization, oneyear post-diagnosis. Thai cancer J. [Internet]. 2014 Apr. [cited 2018 Apr 10]. 34(2): 56-67. Available from: https://www.kmutt.ac.th/jif/public_html/article_detail.php?ArticleID=136882. (in Thai)
7. Yallop K, McDowell H, Koziol-McLain J, Reed P W. Self-reported psychosocial wellbeing of adolescent childhood cancer survivors. European Journal of Oncology Nursing; 2013. 17(6), 711– 9.
8. Dupuis L L, Ethier MC, Tomlinson D, Hesser T, Sung L. A systematic review of symptom assessment scales in children with cancer. BMC Cancer. 2012. 12, 430–430.
9. Hart R, Rollins J H. Therapeutic activities for children and teens coping with health issues. Hoboken (NJ): John Wiley and Sons; 2011
10. Eiser C, Vance Y H, Horne B, Glaser A, Galvin H. The value of the PedsQLTM in assessing quality of life in survivors of childhood cancer. Child Care Health Dev; 2003. 29(2), 95–102.
11. Sa-nguanphong Y. The relationship between selected factors and self-care of school-aged thalassemic patients at Chaiyaphum hospital. [Dissertation]. Khon Kean: Khon Kean University; 2008. (in Thai)
12. Boonnarakron S. Creating a holistic health promotion for all age. 2nd ed. Songkla: tameprinting; 2012. (in Thai)
13. Punthmatharith B, Buddharat U, Wattanasit P. Quality of life of children with cancer: do caregiven perceive different. Songkla Med J. [Internet]. 2013 May. [cited 2018 Apr 10]. 31(3): 123-135. Available from: https://medinfo.psu.ac.th/smj2/31_3.../03_busakorn (55037).pdf. (in Thai)
14. Wayne W D. Biostatistics a foundation of analysis in the health sciences. 6th ed. John Wiley & Sons, 177-8; 1995
15. Yodpinij S. The relationship between selected factors, health perception, and self-care behaviors of thalassemic’ s children. Journal of Boromarajonani College of Nursing. [Internet]. 2017 Jan. [cited 2018 Apr 11]. 33(1): 141-150. Available from: https://www.tci-thaijo.org/index.php/bcnbangkok/article/view/99545. (in Thai)
16. Nualthaisong N. Relationship between perception of thalassemia, selected basic conditioning factors and self-care behaviors of adolescents with thalassemia. [Dissertation]. Khon Kean: Khon Kean Univy; 2010. (in Thai)
17. Lao-unka K. Relationship between perception of aids, selected basic conditioning factors and self-care behaviors of the HIV infected person. [Dissertation]. Khon Kean: Khon Kean Univ; 1996. (in Thai)
18. Tathong B, Kantawang S, Sripusanapan C. Factor Inuencing Uncertainty in Illness among Children with Cancer Receiving Chemotherapy. Nursing Journal. [Internet]. 2012 Jan. [cited 2018 Apr 11]. 39(1): 77-90. Available from: https://www.tcithaijo.org/index.php/cmunursing/article/view/7420. (in Thai)
19. Teepapal T. Effect of Self-Help Group on the Psychological Dimension of Quality of Life of Adolescents with Cancer. [Dissertation]. Songkla: Songkla Univy; 2014. (in Thai)
20. Rungreangkulkij S, Kotnara. Integrated gender in disaster management for Nurses. Songkla Med J. [Internet]. 2013 Jan. [cited 2018 Apr 11]. 33(1):57-68. Available from https://www.tci-thaijo.org/index.php/nur-psu/article/download/9183/8130. (in Thai)
21. Pengsathid U. Developmental psychology. 8th ed. Bankok: Ramkhamhang university press; 2011. (in Thai)
22. Treenai S, Chaiyawat W. Illness Experience of Adolescent Patients with Leukemia. Thai journal of nursing council. [Internet]. 2012 Jan. [cited 2018 Apr 11]. 29(3):47-60. Available from: https://www.tci-thaijo.org/index.php/TJONC/article/view/2391. (in Thai)
23. Booncharean T. New Trends in Health Technology. Journal of Science and Technology. [Internet]. 2013 Oct. [cited 2019 Apr 15]. 5(5): 25-32. Available from: https://www.tci-thaijo.org/index.php/JSTNSRU/article/download/42076/34761/. (in Thai)
24. Wonganantnont P. Excessive Internet Usage Behavioral in Adolescents. Journal of The Royal Thai Army Nurses. [Internet]. 2014 May. [cited 2019 Apr 15]. 15(2):173-8. Available from: https://www.tcithaijo.org/index.php/JRTAN/article/download/25175/21435/. (in Thai)
25. Klunklin P. Health promotion for children of all ages Khon Kean: Khungnana vitthaya press; 2012. (in Thai)
How to Cite
The Journal of Nursing Science and Health is copyright holder of published articles. Distributions of articles published in Journal of Nursing Science and Health including online, photocopying which is not for teaching-learning purpose, publication submission elsewhere are prohibited except obtaining permission from the Journal of Nursing Science and Health.