Main Article Content
The purpose of quasi-experimental research was to determine the benefit of Neosafe innovation for endotracheal tubes stabilization on incidence of unplanned extubations in the neonates. The samples were 36 neonates who randomly assigned into control group, and experimental group. The experiment group received Neosafe innovation for endotracheal tubes stabilization. Data were collected by an unplanned extubations recording. Data were analyzed using percentage, mean, standard deviation, Chi-square and Independent t-test. The results showed that the incidence of unplanned extubations in the neonates after receiving the Neosafe innovation for endotracheal tubes stabilization were significantly lower than the control group, duration of mechanical ventilation and duration of intubation were significantly shorter than before the intervention (p<0.05).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
2. Sharek PJ, Horbar JD, Mason W, Bisarya H, Thurm CW, Suresh G, Classen D. Adverse events in the neonatal intensive care unit: development, testing, and findings of an NICU-focused trigger tool to identify harm in North American NICUs. Pediatrics 2006; 118(4): 1332-40.
3. Ribeiro de Oliveira PC, Alves Cabral L, de Carvalho Schettino R, Santos Ribeiro SN. Incidence and primary causes of unplanned extubation in a neonatal intensive care unit. Incidência e principais causas de extubação não planejada em unidade de terapia intensiva neonatal 2012; 24(3): 230-35.
4. Da Silva PS L, Reis ME, Aguiar VE, Fonseca MC M. Unplanned Extubation in the Neonatal ICU: A Systematic Review, Critical Appraisal, and Evidence-Based Recommendations. Respiratory Care 2013; 58(7): 1237-45.
5. Bouza C, Garcia E, Diaz M, Segovia E, Rodriguez I. Unplanned extubation in orally intubated medical patients in the intensive care unit: a prospective cohort study. Heart & Lung: The Journal of Acute and Critical Care 2007; 36(4): 270-76.
6. Fontela PS, Piva JP, Garcia PC, Bered PL, Zilles K. Risk factors for extubation failure in mechanically ventilated pediatric patients. Pediatric Critical Care Medicine 2005; 6(2): 166-70.
7. Ream RS, Mackey K, Leet T, Green MC, Andreone TL, Loftis LL, Lynch RE. Association of nursing workload and unplanned extubations in a pediatric intensive care unit. Pediatric Critical Care Medicine 2007; 8(4): 366-71.
8. Raju T, Vidyasagar D, Torres C, Grundy D, Bennett E. Intracranial pressure during intubation and anesthesia in infants. The Journal of pediatrics 1980; 96(5): 860-2.
9. Rivera R, Tibballs J. Complications of endotracheal intubation and mechanical ventilation in infants and children. Critical care medicine 1992; 20(2): 193-9.
10. Fongchamnan S. The development of competencies of newborn professional nurses
at a tertiary level hospital in medical service department under bangkok metropolitan administration. A thesis for the degree of master of nursing science, Christian University; 2014. (In Thai)
11. Junkami A. The development of clinical nursing practice guideline for prevention of accidental endotracheal tube extubation in neonates at Mahasarakham Hospital. An independent study report for the master of nursing science in child health nursind, faculty of nursing, Khon Kaen University; 2014. (In Thai)
12. Merkel L, Beers K, Lewis MM, Stauffer J, Mujsce DJ, Kresch MJ. Reducing unplanned extubations in the NICU. Pediatrics 2014; 133(5): e1367-e72.
13. Janma Y. Development and implementation of clinical practice guidelines for unplanned endotracheal extubation in pediatric intensive care unit,Nakornping Hospital, Chiang Mai. Journal of nurse association of Thailand, Nortg-eastern division 2009; 27(4): 22-9. (In Thai)
14. Phaithai P. Effects of clinical nursing practice guideline for prevention of accidental endotratheal tube in neonates. An independent study report for the master of nursing science in pediatric nursing, faculty of nursing, Khon Kaen University; 2009. (In Thai)
15. Budd R. The" Logan bow" method for securing endotracheal tubes in neonates. Critical care nurse 1981; 2(3): 27-8.
16. Kreethachat P. Happy Bridge a new innovation for securing endotracheal tubes in neonate. Sawanpracharak Medical Journal 2005; 2(3): 173-84. (In Thai)
17. Benjapornkulnij T. Benefit of the usage of T-model equipment for endotracheal tubes stabilization in neonate. Reg 11 Med J 2013; 7(3): 397-404. (In Thai)
18. Merkel L, Beers K, Lewis MM, Stauffer J, Mujsce DJ, Kresch MJ. Reducing unplanned extubations in the NICU. Pediatrics 2014; 133(5): e1367-e72.
19. Meungsuwan T, et al. The innovation of the ventilator bracket and the head lock pillow to reduce unplanned endotracheal extubations. From academic presentations at the ministry of public health annual conference 2006, 4-6 September at Prince Palace Hotel, Bangkok; 2006. (In Thai)