Self-management utilization in nursing care for Thalassemic adolescents
Self-management is a process by which individuals use knowledge and beliefs, self-regulation skills and abilities, and social facilitation to achieve health-related outcomes. Self-management is important in nursing care for patients with chronic diseases. This academic article aims to present the use of self-management concepts in thalassemic adolescents.
2. Jetsrisuparb A. Thalassemia syndrome. 1st ed. Khonkaen: Khonkaen University; 2009.
3. Thavorncharoensap M. Factors affecting health-related quality of life in Thai children with thalassemia. BMC Hematology 2010; 10 (1): 21-23.
4. Fucharoen S, Tanphaichitr V, Torcharus K, Viprakasit V, Mekaewkulchon A. Clinical practice guidelines for diagnosis and management of thalassemia syndromes. 1sted. Bangkok: PA Living Publishing; 2014. (in Thai)
5. Fucharoen S. Thalassemia and hemoglobinopathies in Northeast Thailand and greater Mekong sub-region. Thai J. Genet. 2013; supp1: 17-22. (in Thai)
6. Shaligram D, Girimaji SC, Chaturvedi SK. Psychological problems and quality of life in children with thalassemia. Indian J Pediatr. 2007; 74(8): 727-30.
7. Musallam KM, Cappellini MD, Wood JC, Motta I, Graziadei G, Tamim H, et al. Elevated liver iron concentration is a marker of increased morbidity in patients with β thalassemia intermedia. Haematologica 2011; 96 (11): 1605-12.
8. Ryan P, Sawin KJ. The individual and family self-management theory: Background and perspectives on context, process, and outcomes. Nurs Outlook. 2009; 57(4): 217-25.
9. Barlow J, Wright C, Sheasby J, Turner A, Hainsworth J.Self-management approaches for people with chronic conditions: a review. Patient education and counseling 2002; 48 (2):177-87.
10. Lorig KR, Holman H. Self-management education: history, definition, outcomes, and mechanisms. Annals of Behavioral Medicine 2003; 26 (1):1-7.
11. Schilling LS, Grey M, Knafl KA. The concept of self-management of type 1 diabetes in children and adolescents: an evolutionaryconceptanalysis. J Adv Nurs. 2002; 37(1):87-99.
12. Schilling LS, Dixon JK, Knafl KA, Lynn MR, Murphy K, Dumser S, et al. A new self-report measure of self-management of type 1 diabetes for adolescents. Nurs Res. 2009; 58(4): 228-36.
13. Sridan W. Self-efficacy, social support and self-management in thalassemic adolescents [thesis]. Chiangmai: Chiangmai University; 2018. (in Thai)
14. Torcharus K. Comprehensive care of thalassemia. Royal Thai Army Medical Journal 2013; 66 (4): 179-88. (in Thai)
15. Teerarungsikul N, Sananreangsak S. Self-management experiences of children with thalassemia. The Journal of Faculty of Nursing Burapha University 2016; 23: 48-60. (in Thai)
16. Yunak R, Danyuthasilpe C. Encountering difficulties to complete iron chelation regimen:lived experiences of pumping iron at home among adolescent with transfusion-dependent thalassemia. Journal of Nursing and Health Sciences 2010; 5: 10-20. (in Thai)
17. Razzazan N, Ravanipour M, Jahanpour F, Zarei AR, Motamed N, Hosseini S. Investigating challengesfacing self-managementempowermenteducation in adolescents and youths with majorthalassemia. Jundishapur Journal of Chronic Disease Care 2014; 3 (4): 1-7.
18. Torcharus K. Modern treatment of thalassemia intermedia. Royal Thai Army Medical Journal 2013; 67: 3-5. (in Thai)
19. Heidary H, Bijeh N, Javahery SA, Abrishami F. The effect of eight weeks of aerobic training on hematological indices in β-thalassemia minor patients in kermanshah. The Horizon of Medical Sciences 2011; 17: 20-28.
20. Vichinsky E. Non-transfusion-dependent thalassemia and thalassemia intermedia: epidemiology, complications, and management. Curr Med Res Opin. 2016; 32(1): 191-204.
21. Shaker WH. Factors affecting adolescents' adherence to therapeutic recommendations after thalassemia. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications 2015; 5 (12): 23-6.
22. Naderi M, Hormozi MR, Ashrafi M, Emamdadi A. Evaluation of mental health and related factors among patients with beta-thalassemia major in south east of Iran. Iran J Psychiatry 2012; 7(1): 47-51.
23. Jain M, Bagul AS, Porwal A. Psychosocial problems in thalassemic adolescents and young adults. Chronicles of Young Scientists 2013; 4 (1): 21-23.
24. Pitchalard K, Moonpanane K. Improvement of a continuing care model in child with thalassemia and care givers. Nursing Journal 2013; 40 (3): 97-08. (in Thai)
Copyright (c) 2019 Journal of Nursing Science and Health
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
The Journal of Nursing Science and Health is copyright holder of published articles. Distributions of articles published in Journal of Nursing Science and Health including online, photocopying which is not for teaching-learning purpose, publication submission elsewhere are prohibited except obtaining permission from the Journal of Nursing Science and Health.