Self-management utilization in nursing care for Thalassemic adolescents
Self-management is a process by which individuals use knowledge and beliefs, self-regulation skills and abilities, and social facilitation to achieve health-related outcomes. Self-management is important in nursing care for patients with chronic diseases. This academic article aims to present the use of self-management concepts in thalassemic adolescents.
2. Jetsrisuparb A. Thalassemia syndrome. 1st ed. Khonkaen: Khonkaen University; 2009.
3. Thavorncharoensap M. Factors affecting health-related quality of life in Thai children with thalassemia. BMC Hematology 2010; 10 (1): 21-23.
4. Fucharoen S, Tanphaichitr V, Torcharus K, Viprakasit V, Mekaewkulchon A. Clinical practice guidelines for diagnosis and management of thalassemia syndromes. 1sted. Bangkok: PA Living Publishing; 2014. (in Thai)
5. Fucharoen S. Thalassemia and hemoglobinopathies in Northeast Thailand and greater Mekong sub-region. Thai J. Genet. 2013; supp1: 17-22. (in Thai)
6. Shaligram D, Girimaji SC, Chaturvedi SK. Psychological problems and quality of life in children with thalassemia. Indian J Pediatr. 2007; 74(8): 727-30.
7. Musallam KM, Cappellini MD, Wood JC, Motta I, Graziadei G, Tamim H, et al. Elevated liver iron concentration is a marker of increased morbidity in patients with β thalassemia intermedia. Haematologica 2011; 96 (11): 1605-12.
8. Ryan P, Sawin KJ. The individual and family self-management theory: Background and perspectives on context, process, and outcomes. Nurs Outlook. 2009; 57(4): 217-25.
9. Barlow J, Wright C, Sheasby J, Turner A, Hainsworth J.Self-management approaches for people with chronic conditions: a review. Patient education and counseling 2002; 48 (2):177-87.
10. Lorig KR, Holman H. Self-management education: history, definition, outcomes, and mechanisms. Annals of Behavioral Medicine 2003; 26 (1):1-7.
11. Schilling LS, Grey M, Knafl KA. The concept of self-management of type 1 diabetes in children and adolescents: an evolutionaryconceptanalysis. J Adv Nurs. 2002; 37(1):87-99.
12. Schilling LS, Dixon JK, Knafl KA, Lynn MR, Murphy K, Dumser S, et al. A new self-report measure of self-management of type 1 diabetes for adolescents. Nurs Res. 2009; 58(4): 228-36.
13. Sridan W. Self-efficacy, social support and self-management in thalassemic adolescents [thesis]. Chiangmai: Chiangmai University; 2018. (in Thai)
14. Torcharus K. Comprehensive care of thalassemia. Royal Thai Army Medical Journal 2013; 66 (4): 179-88. (in Thai)
15. Teerarungsikul N, Sananreangsak S. Self-management experiences of children with thalassemia. The Journal of Faculty of Nursing Burapha University 2016; 23: 48-60. (in Thai)
16. Yunak R, Danyuthasilpe C. Encountering difficulties to complete iron chelation regimen:lived experiences of pumping iron at home among adolescent with transfusion-dependent thalassemia. Journal of Nursing and Health Sciences 2010; 5: 10-20. (in Thai)
17. Razzazan N, Ravanipour M, Jahanpour F, Zarei AR, Motamed N, Hosseini S. Investigating challengesfacing self-managementempowermenteducation in adolescents and youths with majorthalassemia. Jundishapur Journal of Chronic Disease Care 2014; 3 (4): 1-7.
18. Torcharus K. Modern treatment of thalassemia intermedia. Royal Thai Army Medical Journal 2013; 67: 3-5. (in Thai)
19. Heidary H, Bijeh N, Javahery SA, Abrishami F. The effect of eight weeks of aerobic training on hematological indices in β-thalassemia minor patients in kermanshah. The Horizon of Medical Sciences 2011; 17: 20-28.
20. Vichinsky E. Non-transfusion-dependent thalassemia and thalassemia intermedia: epidemiology, complications, and management. Curr Med Res Opin. 2016; 32(1): 191-204.
21. Shaker WH. Factors affecting adolescents' adherence to therapeutic recommendations after thalassemia. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications 2015; 5 (12): 23-6.
22. Naderi M, Hormozi MR, Ashrafi M, Emamdadi A. Evaluation of mental health and related factors among patients with beta-thalassemia major in south east of Iran. Iran J Psychiatry 2012; 7(1): 47-51.
23. Jain M, Bagul AS, Porwal A. Psychosocial problems in thalassemic adolescents and young adults. Chronicles of Young Scientists 2013; 4 (1): 21-23.
24. Pitchalard K, Moonpanane K. Improvement of a continuing care model in child with thalassemia and care givers. Nursing Journal 2013; 40 (3): 97-08. (in Thai)
Copyright (c) 2019 Journal of Nursing Science and Health
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.