The effectiveness of the holistic nursing care model for enhancing quality of life among persons with epilepsy
The Quasi experimental research aimed to study the effectiveness of the holistic nursing care model for enhancing quality of life among persons with epilepsy at King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital. The experimental group received the holistic nursing care model in the first week and followed at the 12th week, using the holistic nursing care model, lesson plan for group discussion, handbook for enhancing quality of life. Data were collected by using a health promotion behaviors and a quality of life questionnaire. Data were analyzed by using descriptive statistic and t-test. The results revealed that the experimental group had a significant higher health promotion behaviors score and quality of life score than the control group and significant higher than pretest score. However, the frequency of seizures was not significantly different between the two groups, both before and after the experiment.
2. World Health Organization. Epilepsy [Internet]. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2018 [updated 2018 Feb 8; cited 2018 Feb 29th]. Available from: http://www.who.Int / news-room / fact-sheets/detail/epilepsy
3. Epilepsy Society of Thailand. Epilepsy in Thailand [Internet]. Bangkok: Epilepsy Society of Thailand; 2018 [updated 2018 Jan 31; cited 2018 Feb 29th]. Available from:http://www. thailandepilepsy.org/.(in Thai)
4. Chulalongkorn Comprehensive Epilepsy center of excellence. Statistics of the CCEC in 2013 - 2015. Bangkok. (in Thai)
5. Sanprasan P, Limarun C, Krongthong W, Talchue R and Arnamwong A. Survey incident of specific clinical risk in epilepsy patients. Thai Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Nursing [Internet]. 2013 May [cited 2016 Nov 29]; 21 (2):50-62. Available from: https://www. tci-thaijo.org / index.php / journalthaicvt nurse / issue / view /1251 (in Thai)
6. Wiliya C, Arunpongpaisal S, Tiamkao S, Jitpimolmard Su. Quality of Life in Patients of Epilepsy in Srinagarind Hospital. J Psychiatr Assoc Thailand [Internet]. 2006 [cited 2016 Nov 29]; 51(4): 356-364 Available from: http://db.hitap.net/articles/528 (in Thai)
7. Howard J, Rosen & Robert W. Levenson. The emotional brain: Combining insights from patients and basic science. Neurocase [Internet]. 2009 Jun [cited 2016 Nov 29]; 15(3):173-81. Available from:
8. Beyenburg S, Mitchell AJ, Schmidt D, Elger CE, Reuber M, Anxiety in patients with epilepsy: systematic review and suggestions for clinical management. Epilepsy & Behavior [Internet]. 2005 [cited 2016 Nov 29]; 7(2): 161-71. Available from: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1525505005002064
9. Wangsaroj P. Factors related to quality of life in epilepsy patients in sounthern region, Thailand [dissertation] [Internet]. Bangkok: CUIR; 2009 [cited 2016 Nov 29]. Available from: http://cuir.car.chula.ac.th/handle/123456789/15732 (in Thai)
10. Phabphal, K, Geater, A, Limapichart, K, Satirapunya, P, & Setthawatchara wanich, S. Quality of life in epileptic patients in southern Thailand. J Med Assoc Thai [Internet]. 2009 [cited 2016 Nov 29]; 92(6): 762-69. Available from: https://scholar. google.co.th/ scholar?rlz=1C1RLNS_thTH783TH783&um=1&ie=UTF-&lr&cites=13291277 830975134799 (in Thai)
11. Prapanvidhya K, Yunak R, Thangka wanich T. The effect of health promotion program on health promotion behavior and stress among epilepsy patients in community. Journal of Nursing and Health Sciences [Internet]. 2013 [cited 2016 Nov 29]; 7(1): 63-74. Available from: http://www.nurse.nu.ac.th/Journal/data/Vol.7%20No.2/007.pdf (in Thai)
12. Asawavichienjinda T,Phanthumchinda K, Sitthi-Amorn C, Love EJ. The Thai version of the quality-of-life in epilepsy inventory (QOLIE-31-Thai version): Translation, validity and reliability. J Med Assoc Thai [Internet]. 2005 Dec [cited 2016 Nov 29]; 88(12):1782-9. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm. nih.gov/pubmed/16518974
13.Chantawong K. The precipitating factor of seizure in epileptic patients at epilepsy clinic maharaj nakorn chiangmai hospital [dissertation]. Chiangmai University;1994. (in Thai)
14.Intarit N. Self health promoting behavior of the elderly of the Aging Club at Chaophya Abhaibhubejhr Hospital in Prachin Buri province [dissertation] [Internet]. Bangkok: CUIR; 2004 [cited 2016 Nov 29]. Available from: http://cuir.car.chula.ac.th/handle/ 123456789/2496
15. Paschal, A.M. et al. Epilepsy patient,s perceptions about stigma, education, and awareness: Preliminary responses based on a community participatory approach. Epilepsy & Behavior [Internet].2007 Nov [cited 2016Nov29]; 11(3):329-37. Available from: https:// doil.org/10.1016/ i.yebeh.2007.06.007
16. Bandura A. Self-efficacy: The exercise of control. New York: W.H. Freeman; 1997.
17. Srikulwong N, Kantawang S, Jintrawet U. Factor lnuencing Health Promotion Behaviors of Adolescents with Epilepsy. Nursing Journal [Internet]. 2012 [cited 2016 Nov 29]; 39(4):23-33. Available from: https://tcithaijo.org/index.php/ cmunursing/article/view/7362/6369
Copyright (c) 2019 Journal of Nursing Science and Health
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
The Journal of Nursing Science and Health is copyright holder of published articles. Distributions of articles published in Journal of Nursing Science and Health including online, photocopying which is not for teaching-learning purpose, publication submission elsewhere are prohibited except obtaining permission from the Journal of Nursing Science and Health.