The Early Pregnancy In Adolescents: Adolescent's Perspective
Keywords:: Adolescent sexual behavior, having sex in adolescent, Adolescent pregnancy
This qualitative study was aimed to explore and understand the adolescent pregnancy situation and related factors perceived by adolescents and stakeholders in Chum Phae Hospital context, Khon Kaen, Thailand, in April 2016 – March 2017. The 25 adolescent informants consisted of general adolescents, sexual risk behaviors, and pregnant adolescents and after labor. Data were collected by in-depth interviews, focus group discussions, and analyzed by content analysis. The findings on six issues were as follows: 1) adolescent pregnancy situation; 2) sexual behaviors; 3) views about having sex; 4) factors related to having sex; 5) the meaning of adolescent pregnancy and 6) no access to adolescent clinic services. Adolescent pregnancy was not the problem of any particular person, but a problem for adolescents and stakeholders who needed to recognize the beginning of unsafe having sex leading to pregnancy. Stakeholders needed to build responsible sexual values and new active and passive services that appeal to adolescents.
2. WHO. (2013). World Health Statistics 2013. Retrieved October 26, 2014, from http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/81965/1/9789241564588_eng.pdf?ua=1.
3. Sukrat, B. (2014). Teenage pregnancy: policies guidelines and evaluation. Edition 2, Ministry of Public Health, Nonthaburi. (in Thai).
4. Ganchimeg, T., Ota, E., Morisaki, N., Laopaiboon, M., Lumbiganon, P., Zhang, J., … on behalf of the WHO Multicountry Survey on Maternal Newborn Health Research Network. (2014). Pregnancy and childbirth outcomes among adolescent mothers: a World Health Organization multicountry study. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, 121, 40–48.
5. Phoodaangau,B.,Deoisers,w.,& Chunlestskul,k.(2014).Living with Suffering:The basic Social Psychological Problem to Discourage Sense of Being as a Mother of Unintended Pregnant Students. The Journal of Faculty of Nursing Burapha Unversity, 22(3), 42–55.
6. Thato, S., Rachukul, S., & Sopajaree, C. (2007). Obstetrics and perinatal outcomes of Thai pregnant adolescents: A retrospective study. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 44(7), 1158–1164.
7. Thaithae, S., & Thato, R. (2011). Obstetric and perinatal outcomes of teenage pregnancies in Thailand. Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology, 24(6), 342–346.
8. WHO. (2011). WHO Guidelines on Preventing Early Pregnancy and Poor Reproductive Outcomes Among Adolescents in Developing Countries. Retrieved April 23, 2014, from http://www.who. int/ immunization/ hpv/target/preventing early_pregnancy_and_poor_reproductive_outcomes_who_2006.pdf?ua=1
9. Figuerêdo, E. D., Lamy Filho, F., Lamy, Z. C., & da Silva, A. A. M. (2014). Maternal age and adverse perinatal outcomes in a birth cohort (BRISA) from a Northeastern Brazilian city. Revista Brasileira De Ginecologia E Obstetrícia: Revista Da Federação Brasileira Das Sociedades De Ginecologia E Obstetrícia, 36(12),562–568.
10. Patton, G. C., Coffey, C., Sawyer, S. M., Viner, R. M., Haller, D. M., Bose, K., … Mathers, C. D. (2009). Global patterns of mortality in young people: a systematic analysis of population health data. Lancet, 374(9693), 881–892.
11. Raneri, L. G., & Wiemann, C. M. (2007). Social ecological predictors of repeat adolescent pregnancy. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 39(1), 39–47.
12. Rongluen ,S., Talengjit, P.,& Siriborirak, S.(2012). Unwanted pregnancies in Teenagers: A survey of problems and needs for health care support. Siriraj Nursing Journal, 5(1);14-28. (in Thai).
13. WHO. (2014c).Adolescent pregnancy. Retrieved October 2, 2014, from http://www.who. int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs364/en
14. Strategic Documents, Chum Phae Hospital. (2015). Unpublished
15. Bureau of Reproductive health. (2016). ACT FOR PREVENTION AND SOLUTION OF THE ADOLESCENT PREGNANCY PROBLEM, B.E. 2559 (2016). Retrieved May 2, 2017, from http://rh.anamai.moph.go.th/download/all_file/index.
16. Ingkathawornwong T., Kritcharoen S., Pol-in .K., & Charoonsak Y..(2007).Risk behaviour from sexual activity in female adolescents at vocational school. Songkla Med J; 25(6):511-520.
17. Tangmunkongvorakul, A., Carmichael, G., Banwell, C., Utomo, I. D., & Sleigh, A. (2011). Sexual perceptions and practices of young people in Northern Thailand. Journal of Youth Studies, 14(3), 315–339.
18. Anusornteerakul, S., Srisaeng, P., Rujiraprasert, N., & Maungpin, S. (2012). Adolescents’ Reproductive Health Status In Urban Slums In The Khon Kaen Municipality, Thailand. American Journal of Health Sciences (AJHS), 3(4), 269–276
19. Chirawatkul,S., Rungreangkulkij,S., Jong-Udomkran,D., Anusornteerakul.S., Wattananukulkiat.S.,& Sornchai.S.,et al.(2011). Prevention of and dealing with teenage pregnancy. Centre for Research and Training on Gender and Women's Health. khon kaen university. (in Thai).
20. Bureau of Reproductive health. (2015). Manual of Public Health Informants (PMO) Prevention of Pregnancy in Adolescence. The Printing of Agricultural Cooperatives of Thailand (in Thai).
21. Wongsanga,P,& kaewsan,P. (2014). Unwanted Pregnant among the Adolescents and Proactive Challenging Roles of Nurses . Journal of Nursing Science and Health. , 37(2);146-154. (in Thai).
22. Unicef (2015).SITUATION ANALYSIS OF ADOLESCENT PREGNANCY in Thailand. Retrieved May 2, 2017, from https://www.unicef.org/thailand/tha/160705_SAAP_in_Thailand_report_TH.pdf
23. Ingkathawornwong T., Kritcharoen S., Pol-in .K., & Charoonsak Y..(2007).Risk behaviour from sexual activity in female adolescents at vocational school. Songkla Med J; 25(6):511-520.
24. Tangmunkongvorakul, A., Carmichael, G., Banwell, C., Utomo, I. D., & Sleigh, A. (2011). Sexual perceptions and practices of young people in Northern Thailand. Journal of Youth Studies, 14(3), 315–339.
25. UNFPA. (2009). Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health Toolkit for Humanitarian Settings. Retrieved May21, 2014, from https://www.unfpa.org/webdav/site/global/shared/documents/publications/2009/ UNFPA_ ASRHtoolkit_english.pdf.
26. 3C4TEEN (n.d.).Tips for organizing a friendly service for teens. Retrieved May 2, 2017, from https://www. 3C4TEEN.ORG
How to Cite
The Journal of Nursing Science and Health is copyright holder of published articles. Distributions of articles published in Journal of Nursing Science and Health including online, photocopying which is not for teaching-learning purpose, publication submission elsewhere are prohibited except obtaining permission from the Journal of Nursing Science and Health.