Main Article Content
Aim of this research was to study the relationship between family status, sports activities and emotional quotient of secondary school students. The samples were 208 secondary students (grade 4-6) in Christasongkoh school, Nakhonnayok Province. Questionnaire of the Department of Mental Health, Ministry of Public Health was applied to collect data by teachers who were familiar with the children for more than 6 months. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics and Chi-square test.
The study revealed that family status was not, whereas sport activities was significantly correlated with emotional quotient (p <0.05).
It is suggested that sports can increase the level of emotional quotient in students. The fact that family status did not affect emotional quotient may be due to other, not known factors.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.Authors who publish with this journal agree to retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
2. Wacharasin C, Khamngoen R, Sriprasan C, Chivanon N. Association between family factors and emotional intelligence of 6-11 year old children. Journal of Health Science Research. 2017;11(1):12-22. (in Thai).
3. Punnitamai V. Emotional quotient (EQ): Indicators for happiness and success of life. Bangkok: Expernet; 2000. (in Thai).
4. Ministry of Social Development and Human Security. Registration of divorce statistic [Internet]. 2016 [cited 2016 Jul 21]; Available from: https://www.m-society.go.th/ewt_ news. php?nid=18789
5. Goleman D. Working with emotional intelligence. New York: Bantam Books; 1998.
6. Noumkomnung B. A comparative of emotional quotient between sport team player and single sport player at Rajamangala University of Technology Lanna Chiang Rai Campus. [Thesis]. Chiang Mai: Chiang Mai University; 2003. (in Thai).
7. Siriprasert J. Physical education and importance in elementary school level. Journal of Education. 1995;10(1):61-82. (in Thai).
8. Piliyapoen T. Necessary and importance of physical education and quality of life development: a manufacturer. Journal of Faculty of Physical Education. 1998;1(1-2):20-3 (in Thai).
9. Srinuan C. Emotional intelligence of grade six students in schools under the jurisdiction of the Office of the Basic Education Commission in Bangkok Metropolis [Thesis]. Bangkok: Chulalongkorn University; 2007. (in Thai).
10. Kuna-apisit V. Importance and necessity of physical education and sport and quality of life. Journal of Exercise & Sport Science. 1997;1(1):1-7. (in Thai).
11. Prayoonkiat K. The effects of physical education learning management in flag football on emotional intelligence of elementary school student base on Goleman’s concept. Online Journal of Education. 2012;7(1):1391-404. (in Thai).