Human liver carboxylesterase 1 structure, polymorphism and its role in drug and prodrug activation and metabolism

Authors

  • Usa Boonyuen Department of Molecular Tropical Medicine and Genetics, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University

Keywords:

เอนไซม์คาร์บอกซิลเอสเทอร์เรส 1, โพลีมอฟิซึม, เมตาบอลิซึมของยา, CES1, structure, polymorphisms, drug and prodrug metabolism

Abstract

The human carboxylesterase 1 or CES1 is an enzyme predominantly expressed in the liver where numerous hydrolytic reactions take place. It is believed that this enzyme is responsible for approximately 80% of hydrolytic activity in the liver and leaves the rest of 20% to its counterpart enzyme, human carboxylesterase 2 (CES2). CES1 plays a critical role in hydrolysis of numerous compounds which contain ester- and amide-bonds, including drugs, prodrugs, endobiotics, and xenobiotics. Owing to its significant role, extensive studieshave beencarried out toinvestigate its gene structure and polymorphisms, protein structure and function as well as many other aspects. The present review highlights the importance of the structure of CES1 in regard to its function and catalytic activity. Additionally, it was found that CES1 catalytic activity can be influenced by variations or SNPs in DNA coding region, promoter region as well as 5’ untranslated region of CES1. These alterations in the catalytic activity of an enzyme have been shown toassociate withclinicaloutcomes.Therefore, polymorphisms related tofunctional activityof CES1inthe hydrolysis of drugs and prodrugs are also discussed.

 

เอนไซม์คาร์บอกซิลเอสเทอร์เรส 1: โครงสร้าง ความหลากหลายทางพันธุกรรม และบทบาทในการกระตุ้นและการย่อยยา

เอนไซม์คาร์บอกซิลเอสเทอร์เรส1ในมนุษย์มีการแสดงออกอย่างมากที่ตับซึ่งเป็นเนื้อเยื่อที่เกิดปฏิกิริยาไฮโดรไลติก มาก เชื่อกันว่าเอนไซม์คาร์บอกซิลเอสเทอร์เรส 1 นี้ทำหน้าที่ในการเร่งการเกิดปฏิกิริยาไฮโดรไลติกประมาณ 80% ของ ปฏิกิริยาทั้งหมดที่เกิดขึ้นที่ตับ ส่วนที่เหลืออีก 20% นั้นจะเป็นหน้าที่ของเอนไซม์คาร์บอกซิลเอสเทอร์เรส 2 สำหรับ เอนไซม์คาร์บอกซิลเอสเทอร์เรส 1 นั้นมีบทบาทสำคัญในการสลายสารตั้งต้นที่มีพันธะเอสเทอร์และเอไมด์ซึ่งรวมถึงยาชนิด ต่างๆ สารเอนโดไบโอติกส์และสารซีโนไบโอติกส์จากบทบาทความสำคัญของเอนไซม์คาร์บอกซิลเอสเทอร์เรส 1 ทำให้มี การศึกษาเกี่ยวกับเอนไซม์ชนิดนี้ในด้านต่างๆ เป็นจำนวนมาก เช่น โครงสร้างของยีนและความหลากหลายทางพันธุกรรม โครงสร้างของโปรตีนและบทบาทหน้าที่ในการทำงาน เป็นต้น นอกจากนี้พบว่าเมื่อมีการเปลี่ยนแปลงลำดับของเบสเพียง 1 เบสหรือมีสนิปส์ในส่วนของยีน ในบริเวณโปรโมเตอร์และในส่วนที่ไม่แสดงออกทางปลาย 5’ ของยีนจะส่งผลต่อการทำงาน ของเอนไซม์ซึ่งการเปลี่ยนแปลงของการทำงานของเอนไซม์นี้ส่งผลกระทบต่อการรักษาทางคลินิก บทความฉบับนี้จะเน้น ถึงความสำคัญของโครงสร้างของโปรตีนในด้านที่เกี่ยวกับการทำงานของเอนไซม์คาร์บอกซิลเอสเทอร์เรส 1 และความ หลากหลายทางพันธุกรรมหรือการเปลี่ยนแปลงลำดับของเบสในแง่ที่ส่งผลกระทบต่อการทำงานที่เกี่ยวข้องกับการย่อยยา

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.

Downloads

Issue

Section

Review Article (บทความวิชาการ)