Pulmonary Sequestration as an Incidental Finding of Pediatric Abdominal Ultrasound - Two Cases
Keywords:abdomen, lung, pediatrics, pulmonary sequestration, ultrasound
Abdominal ultrasound (US) is a commonly indicated examination in pediatrics. However, lung bases are often not thoroughly examined. Pulmonary sequestration is mostly detected prenatally, but also postnatally – incidentally or with the appearance of recurrent pulmonary infections. It can be detected by US, yet our research has not found a single reported case where sequestration was incidentally detected by US, without any previous knowledge of its existence. Here, we report on 2 such cases of pulmonary sequestrations detected during routine pediatric abdominal US. Tubular anechogenic structure above the left hemidiaphragm should bring attention to the potential diagnosis of pulmonary sequestration.
sequestration. J Ultrasound Med 2003;22:541-4.
2. Biyyam DR, Chapman T, Ferguson MR, Deutsch G, Dighe MK. Congenital lung abnormalities: embryologic features,
prenatal diagnosis, and postnatal radiologic-pathologic correlation. Radiographics 2010;30:1721-38.
3. Ruano R, Benachi A, Aubry MC, Revillon Y, Emond S, Dumez Y, et al. Prenatal diagnosis of pulmonary sequestration using three-dimensional power Doppler ultrasound. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2005;25:128-33.
4. Sepulveda W. Perinatal imaging in bronchopulmonary sequestration. J Ultrasound Med 2009;28:89-94.
5. West MS, Donaldson JS, Shkolnik A. Pulmonary sequestration. Diagnosis by ultrasound. J Ultrasound Med 1989;8:125-9.
6. Lee EY, Siegel MJ, Sierra LM, Foglia RP. Evaluation of angioarchitecture of pulmonary sequestration in pediatric patients using 3D MDCT angiography. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2004;183:183-8.
7. Abbey P, Das CJ, Pangtey GS, Seith A, Dutta R, Kumar A. Imaging in bronchopulmonary sequestration. J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol 2009;53:22-31.
8. Adaletli I, Uludag S. Intraabdominal extrapulmonary sequestration diagnosed by color doppler ultrasound at 22 weeks’ gestation. J Clin Ultrasound 2013;41:251-4.
9. Schlesinger AE, DiPietro MA, Statter MB, Lally KP. Utility of sonography in the diagnosis of bronchopulmonary sequestration. J Pediatr Surg 1994;29:52-5.
10. Thind CR, Pilling DW. Pulmonary sequestration: the value of ultrasound. Clin Radiol 1985;36:437-9.
11. Manson DE, Daneman A. Pitfalls in the sonographic diagnosis of juxtadiaphragmatic pulmonary sequestrations.
Pediatr Radiol 2001;31:260-4.
12. Irodi A, Prabhu SM, John RA, Leena RV. Congenital bronchopulmonary vascular malformations, “sequestration” and
beyond. Indian J Radiol Imaging 2015;25:35-43.
13. Samuel M, Burge DM. Management of antenatally diagnosed pulmonary sequestration associated with congenital
cystic adenomatoid malformation. Thorax 1999;54:701-6.
14. Donnelly LF. Pulmonary sequestration. In: Donnelly LF, editor. Diagnostic imaging: pediatrics. Salt Lake City: Amirsys; 2005;p.10-3.