Main Article Content
To evaluate the subfoveola choroidal thickness (SFCT) and choroidal volume (CV) in variation to age, gender and ethnicity among healthy individuals.
Study design and method:
This was a cross sectional study done in Selayang Hospital. A total number of 113 healthy subjects were recruited. All subjects were scanned using the spectral domain-optical coherence tomography (SD-OCT) machine using the enhance depth imaging (EDI) mode. The subfoveola choroidal thickness and choroidal volume were then measured using the build-in thickness map software of the proprietary machine and were then evaluated in variation to age, gender and ethnicity.
The overall mean age was 39.58 (±14.71) years. Mean SFCT was 320.08 (±56.08) μm and mean CV was 8.10 (±1.212) mm3. Linear regression analysis showed reduction of 1.78 μm of thickness and 0.042 mm3 of volume respectively per year of age. The mean SFCT in males was 335.13(±58.93) μm and 307.25(±50.55) µm in females. Mean CV was 8.52(±1.35) mm3 for males and 7.74(±0.96) mm3 for females. Indians had mean SFCT 342.18 (±55.08) µm and CV 8.58(±1.01) mm3. There were no significant differences of these values between Malay and Chinese groups with p values >0.95.
Conclusion:SFCT and CV decreases with age. Females had generally thinner SFCT and lesser CV as compared to males. There were no significant variations of SFCT and CV between ethnic groups. However Indian subgroup had a greater SFCT and CV.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
2. Agawa T, Miura M, Ikuno Y, et al.(2011). Choroidal thickness measurement in healthy Japanese subjects by three-dimensional high-penetration optical coherence tomography. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol.;249:1485–1492.
3. Barteselli G, Chhablani J, El-Emam S, Wang H, Chuang J, Kozak I, et.al.(2012). Choroidal volume variations with age, axial length, and sex in healthy subjects: A three-dimensional analysis. Ophthalmology;1-7
4. Wen Bin Wei , Liang Xu, Jost B. Jonas, Lei Shao, Kui Fang Du, Shuang Wang, et al.(2010).Subfoveal Choroidal Thickness: The Beijing Eye Study. Ophthalmology;120:175–180
5. Li XQ, Larsen M, Munch IC1. (2011). Subfoveal choroidal thickness in relation to sex and axial Length in 93 Danish University Students. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science; Vol. 52 (11): 8438-8441
6. M Hirata, A Tsujikawa, A Matsumoto, M Hangai, S Ooto, K Yamashiro, M Akiba, N Yoshimura.(2011). Macular Choroidal Thickness and Volume in Normal Subjects Measured by Swept-Source Optical Coherence Tomography. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci.;52:4971–4978
7. Barteselli G, Chhablani J, El-Emam S, Wang H, Chuang J, Kozak I, et.al.(2012). Choroidal volume variations with age, axial length, and sex in healthy subjects: A three-dimensional analysis. Ophthalmology;1-7
8. X Ding, J Li, J Zeng, W Ma, R Liu, T Li, S Yu, S Tang.(2011). Choroidal Thickness in Healthy Chinese Subjects. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci.: 52 :9555-9560
9. Tan CSH, Cheong KX.(2014). Macular choroidal thicknesses in healthy adults-relationship with ocular and demographic factors. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci ;55:6452–6458.
10. Kim MK, Sung Soo, Koh HJ, Lee SC. (2014).Choroidal Thickness, Age, and Refractive Error in Healthy Korean Subjects. Optometry & Vision Science: Volume 91 - Issue 5 - p 491–496
11. Bafiq, R., Mathew, R., Pearce,E., Abdel-Hey Ahmed, Richardsone, M., Bailey,T. & Sivaprasad,S. (2012).Age, Sex, and Ethnic Variations in Inner and Outer Retinal and Choroidal Thickness on Spectral-Domain Optical Coherence TomographyAm J Ophthalmol 2015
12. Ikuno Y, Kawaguchi K, Nouchi T, Yasuno Y. (2010).Choroidal thickness in healthy Japanese subjects. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci;51:2173–2176.
13. Margolis, R., Spaide, RF. (2009).A pilot Study of Enhanced Depth Imaging Optical Coherence Tomography of the choroid in normal eyes. Am J Ophthalmol.; 147(5):811-5.
14. Sanchez, CA.,Orduna, E., Segura, F., Lopez,C., Cuenca, NA., Abecia, E. & Pinilla,I. (2014). Choroidal Thickness and Volume in Healthy Young White Adults and therelationships between them and Axial Length, Ammetropy and Sex. Am J Ophthalmol;158:574–583.
15. Shin, JW., Shin,YU., Lee,BR. (2012) Choroidal Thickness and Volume Mapping by a Six Radial Scan Protocol on spectral Domain Optical Coherence Tomography.Ophthalmology ;119:1017–1023.
16. Ramrattan RS, van der Schaft TL, Mooy CM, et al.(1994). Morpho- metric analysis of Bruch’s membrane, the choriocapillaris, and the choroid in aging. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci ;35: 2857– 64.
17. Kavroulaki D, Gugleta K, Kochkorov A, Katamay R, Flammer J, Orgul S. (2010) Influence of gender and menopausal status on peripheral and choroidal circulation. Acta Ophthalmol.;88:850 – 853