Main Article Content
Sweet almond oil is a fixed oil obtained from the kernel of Prunus dulcis (Mill.) D. A. Webb. It is widely used as a carrier oil, or a diluent of essential oils, in aromatherapy. In an A-B experimental study of essential oil inhalation that considered the applicability of sweet almond oil as a diluent, sweet almond oil was repeatedly administered to participants. This study aimed to investigate the effects of inhaling sweet almond oil at two different times on brain wave activity, using the A-B experimental design. Twenty-five healthy participants ranging from 20 to 35 years of age were recruited. Sweet almond oil was administered by inhalation to each participant twice, with a 7-day washout period in between treatments. The absolute powers of delta, theta, alpha, and beta brain waves were recorded using a Nicolet EEG v32. Results from the EEG recordings showed no significant differences between brain waves after both the first and second inhalations of sweet almond oil. In conclusion, sweet almond oil was found to be suitable for use as an essential oil diluent.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
2. Pan SY, Litscher G, Gao SH, Zhou SF, Yu ZL, Chen HQ, Zhang SF, Tang MK, Sun JN, Ko KM. Historical perspective of traditional indigenous medical practices: the current renaissance and conservation of herbal resources. CAM. 2014;2014.
3. Dunning T. Aromatherapy: overview, safety and quality issues. OA Altern Med. 2013; 1(1):6.
4. Tisserand R. The Art of Aromatherapy. 2nd ed. Saffron Walden: CW Daniel; 2004.
5. Ali B, Al-Wabel NA, Shams S, Ahamad A, Khan SA, Anwar F. Essential oils used in aromatherapy: A systemic review. Asian Pac J. 2015 Aug 1;5(8):601-11.
6. Gaware V, Nagare R, Dhamak KB, Khadse AN, Kotade KB, Kashid VA, Laware RB. Aromatherapy: art or science. IJBR. 2013;4(2):74-83.
7. Nan Lv X, Jun Liu Z, Jing Zhang H, Tzeng CM. Aromatherapy and the central nervous system (CNS): therapeutic mechanism and its associated genes. Curr Drug Targets. 2013 Jul 1;14(8):872-9.
8. Manion CR, Widder RM. Essentials of essential oils. IJHP. 2017 May 1; 74(9):e153-62.
9. Fernandes GD, Gomez-Coca, Perez-Camino MD, Moreda W, Barrera-Arellano D. Chemical characterization of major and minor compounds of nut oils: almond, hazelnut, and pecan nut. Journal of Chemistry. 2017;2017.
10. Čolić S, Zec G, Natić M, Fotirić-Akšić M. Almond (Prunus dulcis) oil. InFruit Oils: Chemistry and Functionality. Springer, Cham. 2019;149-180.
11. Hongratanaworakit T, Buchbauer G. Autonomic and emotional responses after transdermal absorption of sweet orange oil in humans: placebo controlled trial. IJEOT. 2007; 1:29-34.
12. Joulaeerad N, Ozgoli G, Hajimehdipoor H, Ghasemi E, Salehimoghaddam F. Effect of aromatherapy with peppermint oil on the severity of nausea and vomiting in pregnancy: a single-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. JRI. 2018 Jan; 19(1):32.
13. Heydari N, Abootalebi M, Jamalimoghadam N, Kasraeian M, Emamghoreishi M, Akbarzadeh M. Investigation of the effect of aromatherapy with Citrus aurantium blossom essential oil on premenstrual syndrome in university students: A clinical trial study. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2018 Aug 1; 32:1-5.
14. Evans SR. Clinical trial structures. Journal of experimental stroke & translational medicine. 2010 Feb 9; 3(1):8.
15. Sowndhararajan K, Kim S. Influence of fragrances on human psycho-physiological activity: With special Reference to human electroencephalo-graphic response. Sci Pharm. 2016 Dec; 84(4):724-51.
16. Sayorwan W, Ruangrungsi N, Piriyapunyporn T, Hongratanaworakit T, Kotchabhakdi N, Siripornpanich V. Effects of inhaled rosemary oil on subjective feelings and activities of the nervous system. Sci Pharm. 2013 Jun; 81(2):531-42.
17. Sayorwan W, Siripornpanich V, Piriyapunyaporn T, Hongratanaworakit T, Kotchabhakdi N, Ruangrungsi N. The effects of lavender oil inhalation on emotional states, autonomic nervous system, and brain electrical activity. J Med Assoc Thai. 2012 Apr;95(4):598-606.
18. Hongratanaworakit T. Physiological effects in aromatherapy. Sonklanakarin J Sci Technol. 2004 Jan; 26(1):117-25.
19. Philpott C, Goodenough P, Passant C, Robertson A, Murty G. The effect of temperature, humidity and peak inspiratory nasal flow on olfactory thresholds. Clin Otolaryngol. 2004 Feb; 29(1):24-31.
20. Lemeshow S, Hosmer DW, Klar J, Lwanga SK, World Health Organization. Adequacy of sample size in health studies. Chichester: Wiley; 1990.
21. Sayorwan W. Effects of selected volatile oils commonly used in Thailand on physiological activities and emotions [Doctoral dissertation]. Chulalongkorn University; 2011.
22. Llido LO, Mirasol R. Comparison of body mass index based nutritional status using WHO criteria versus “Asian” criteria: report from the Philippines. PhilSPEN Online J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2011; 1-8.
23. Assanasen P, Tunsuriyawong P, Pholpornphisit W, Chatameteekul M, Bunnag C. Smell detection threshold in Thai adults. J Med Assoc Thai. 2009 Jun 1; 92(6):813.
24. Oldfield RC. The assessment and analysis of handedness: the Edinburgh inventory. Neuropsychologia. 1971 Mar 1; 9(1):97-113.
25. .Teplan M. Fundamental Of EEG Measurement//Measurement Science Review. 2002.
26. Ilberger J, Herberger E, Mahrhofer C, Dessovic H, Kowarik D, Buchbauer G. The influence of essential oils on human attention. I: Alertness. Chemical Senses. 2001 Apr 1; 26(3): 239-45.
27. Sayorwan W, Siripornpanich V, Hongratanaworakit T, Kotchabhakdi N, Ruangrungsi N. The effects of jasmine Oil inhalation on brain wave activities and emotions. J Health Res. 2013; 27(2):73-7.
28. Sayorwan W, Siripornpanich V, Piriyapunyaporn T, Hongratanaworakit T, Kotchabhakdi N, Ruangrungsi N. The harmonizing effects of citronella oil on mood states and brain activities. J Health Res. 2012; 26(2):69-75.
29. Sayorwan W, Rumruay V. Chemical Compositions of Fingered Citron Peel (Citrus Medica L. var. Sarcodactylis) and Its Effect on the Autonomic Nervous System. J Health Res. 2017; 31(4):307-13.
30. Ferdenzi C, Poncelet J, Rouby C, Bensafi M. Repeated exposure to odors induces affective habituation of perception and sniffing. Front Behav Neurosci. 2014 Apr 10; 8:119.
31. Chamine I, Oken BS. Aroma effects on physiologic and cognitive function following acute stress: A mechanism investigation. J Altern Complement Med. 2016 Sep 1; 22(9):713-21.
32. Thanatuskitti P, Siripornpanich V, Sayorwan W, Palanuvej* C, Ruangrungsi N. The Effects of Inhaled Limnophila aromatica Essential Oil on Brain Wave Activities and Emotional States in Healthy Volunteers: a Randomized Crossover Study. RJP. 2020 Sep 2; 7(4):1-9.