Main Article Content
Society around the world is ageing. With the increasing number of elderly people, emphasis on their quality of life cannot be overlooked. This cross-sectional descriptive study aimed to determine factors influencing the quality of life among sub-urban older adults in the Khu Tao community of Hat Yai district, in Songkhla province. Participants comprised 324 older adults whose aged at least 60 years old. Data collection was performed from October to December 2019. Participants completed questionnaires covering sociodemographic characteristics, including the abbreviated Thai version of the World Health Organization Quality of Life measurement tool (WHOQOL-BREF-THAI), the short version Depression Screening questionnaires (2Q and 9Q), and the Barthel Index of Activities of Daily Living. The demographic data was analyzed to describe characteristics of the samples and multiple logistic regression analysis was performed to evaluate protective factors associated with quality of life among older adults. The finding revealed the quality of life among participants was good for 28.4%, medium for 71.6% and none had a poor quality of life. Statistically significant factors associated with quality of life included having sufficient income (ORadj = 0.39, 95% CI = 0.18-0.87, p-value = 0.021) and participation in childcare (ORadj = 0.28, 95% CI (0.12-0.64), p-value = 0.003). If the government and community organizations create projects which help older adults earn their own income after retirement, and encourage them to participate in family activities, it could result in senior citizens having a better quality of life.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
2. Statistical data of the number of elderly in Thailand in 2018 [Internet]. Bangkok: Department of Older Persons; 2018 [updated 2018 Dec 31; cited 2019 Feb 22]. Available from: http://www.dop.go.th/th/know/1/153
3. Knowledge sheet on the subject of self-care and self-improvement for older adults “Learning about the Society” [Internet]. Bangkok: Department of Older Persons. [cited 2019 Feb 22 ]. Available from: http://www.dop.go.th/ download/formdownload/th1529476181-813_2.pdf (in Thai)
4. Pereira de Paiva MH, Pegorari MS, Nascimento JS, Santos AS. Factors associated with quality of life among the elderly in the community of the southern triangle macro-region, Minas Gerais, Brazil.Ciênc. saúde coletiva. 2016; 21(11):3347-56.
5. Xu L, Tang F, Li LW, Dong XQ. Grandparent Caregiving and Psychological Well-Being among Chinese American Older Adults— The Roles of Caregiving Burden and Pressure. Journal of Gerontology [Internet]. 2017 [cited 2019 Feb 25]; 72(1):56-62. Available from: https://academic.oup.com/biomedgerontology/article/72/suppl_1/S56/3859666
6. Kang Y, Lee E. Quality of life and its factors in Korean elderly with mild cognitive impairment. Clinical Nursing Research. 2018; 27(7):871-89.
7. Baernholdt M, Hinton I, Yan G, Rose K, Mattos M. Factors associated with quality of life in older adults in the United States. Quality of Life Research. 2012; 21(3):527–34.
8. Wongpanarak N, Chaleoykitti S. Quality of life: a study of elderly in Thailand. Journal of The Royal Thai Army Nurses 2014; 15(3):64-70. (in Thai)
9. Tongdee J, Rongmuang D, Nakchatree C. Health and quality of life of older adults in the southern border provinces. Nursing Journal of the Ministry of Public Health. 2013; 22(3):88-89. (in Thai)
10. Teerakiatkumjorn A. Quality of life of older adults who live in Suthep Sub-district, Mueang Chiang Mai District. Veridian E-Journal, Silpakorn University.2011; 4:1-19. (in Thai)
11. Khamwong W, Noosawad J, Pratanworrapanya W,Siripanya J. Related factors to older adults’ quality of life. Journal of Health Science Research. 2011; 5(2):32-40. (in Thai)
12. Sukanan T, Jariyasin S, Thummanon T,Jitpakdee P. Quality of life of older adults who live in Bansuan Municipality of Chonburi Province. Journal of Public Health. 2013; 41(3):240-9. (in Thai)
13. Noknoi J. and Boripan W. Quality of Life of Older Adults in Songkla Province. Princess of Naradhivas University Journal. 2560; 9: 94-105. (in Thai)
14. Minicipality Office of Khu Tao Sub-district. Khu Tao Sub-district [Internet]. [cited 2019 Feb 23]. Available from: http://www.kutao. go.th/ (in Thai)
15. Department of Mental Health. WHOQOL-BREF-THAI [internet]. 1998 [cited on 2019 Mar 15]. Available from: https://www.dmh. go.th/test/whoqol/ (in Thai)
16. World health organization. WHOQOL-BREF [internet].[cited on 2019 Mar 15] Available form: https://www.who.int/healthinfo/survey/WHOQOL_BREF.pdf?ua=1
17. Taboonpong S, Suttharangsee W, Chailangka P. Evaluation of the quality of WHOQOL-BREF-THAI among older adults of Thailand. Journal of Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine. 2001:2:6-12. (in Thai)
18. Department of Mental Health. 2Q9Q8Q [Internet]. [cited on 2019 Mar 15]. Available from: https://www.dmh.go.th/test/download/files/2Q%209Q%208Q%20(1).pdf (in Thai)
19. Kongsuk T, Arunpongpaisal S, Janthong S, Prukkanone B, Sukhawaha S, Leejongpermpoon J. Criterion-related validity of the 9 questions depression rating scale revised for thai central dialect. Journal of the Psychiatric Association of Thailand. 2018; 63(4): 321-334. (in Thai)
20. Karootkool K, The manual to promoting physical activities and enhancing the capability of the elderly (Staff and caregiver edition). Bangkok: Thai Health Promotion Foundation; 2018. (in Thai)
21. Nauthaisong D, Sudnongbua S. Quality of life among elderly people in the responsibility of Wangmaikon Sub-district administrative organi-zation, Sawankhalok district, Sukho-thai Province. Social Sciences Research and Academic Journal. 2016; 11: 921-33. (in Thai)
22. Waeowanjua S. Factors affecting the quality of life of the muslim elderly at prawet district, Bangkok. Thailand Journal of Health Promotion and Environmental Health. 2018; 35(4): 75-86. (in Thai)
23. Sivertsen H, Bjørkløf GH, Engedal K, Selbæk G, Helvik AS. Depression and Quality of Life in Older Persons: A Review. Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders. 2015; 40(5-6):311-339.
24. National Statistical Office. Population Statistics [Internet].2018 [cited on 2019 Mar 15]. Available from: http://www.nso.go.th