Main Article Content
Purpose: To examine the clinical course of dacryoadenitis and panophthalmitis from Curvularia infection.
Methods: Retrospective case review. The authors reported a case of 36-year-old female who presented with dacryoadenitis and panophthalmitis. Clinical features, investigations and management were described.
Results: A 36-year-old female with history of controlled bilateral pars planitis presented with dacryoadenitis and panophthalmitis in the right eye. Her medication at presentation was prednisolone 5 mg/d and mycophenolate mofetil 250 mg/d. She underwent tissue biopsy. The culture yielded Curvularia spp. Topical and systemic anti-fungal medications were given with a good response.
Conclusion: Curvularia can be the cause of dacryoadenitis with panophthalmitis in immunocompromised hosts.
Keywords: Curvularia, dacryoadenitis, panophthalmitis, fungus
2) Sodhi PK, Kaur R. Curvularia dacryocystitis: report of two cases. Orbit.2000;19:45-50.
3) Rachiskaya AV, Reddy AK, Miller D, Davis J, Flynn JR HW, Smiddy W et al. Prolonged Curvularia endophthalmitis due to organism sequestration. JAMA Ophthalmology. 2014;132(9):1123-26.
4) Heier JS, Gardner TA,Hawes MJ, et al. Proptosis as initial presentation of fungal sinusitis in immunocompetent patients. Ophthalmology 1995;102:713-717.
5) Kaushik S, Ram J, Chakrabarty A, Dogra MR, Gagandeep SB, Gupta A. Curvularia lunata endophthalmitis with secondary keratitis. Am J Ophthalmol. 2001;131:140-142.
6) Adulkar NG, Radhakrishnan A, Vidhya N, Kim U. Invasive sino-orbital fungal infections in immunocompetent patients: a clinic-pathological study. Eye. 2019;33(6):988-94.
7) Xu K, Almeida DR, Chin EK, Mahajan VB; Delayed fungal endophthalmitis secondary to Curvularia. American Journal of Ophthalmology Case Reports 3.2016;1-4.
8) Pathengay A, Miller DM, Flynn HW Jr., Dubovy SR. Curvularia endophthalmitis following open globe injuries. Arch. Ophthalmo. 2012;130:652-654.
9) Wang JL, Chang CH, Young-Xu Y, Chan A. Systematic Review and Meya-Analysis of the Tolerability and Hepatotoxiciy of Antifungals in Empirical and Definitive Therapy for Invasive Fungal Infection. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. 2010; 54(6):2409-19.