Main Article Content
Objective: To compare the recurrence rate of cryopreserved amniotic membrane (cryo AM) grafts and dry amniotic membrane (dry AM) grafts after primary pterygium excision combined with intraoperative mitomycin C (MMC) using fibrin glue technique at 1 year follow up.
Design: prospective randomized controlled trial
Methods: A prospective randomized controlled trial was conducted in 39 subjects with primary pterygium that were enrolled and randomized into 2 groups, 19 eyes in the cryo AM group, and 20 eyes in the dry AM group. In patients with primary pterygium underwent pterygium excision, 0.02% MMC was applied to the scleral bed. Amniotic membrane was attached using the fibrin glue technique. The measured outcome was recurrence rate at 1 year.
Results: The recurrence rate after pterygium excision with cryo AM and dry AM grafts were 5.26% and 5% respectively. There was no significant difference in the recurrence rate between the 2 groups (p = 0.839).
Conclusion: This study provides preliminary evidence that dry AM grafts were effective as cryo AM grafts in adjunctive of pterygium excision to reduce the post operative recurrence.
Conflicts of interest: None
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
2. Ma DHK, See LC, Liau SU, Tsai RJF. Amniotic membrane graft for primary pterygium: comparison with conjunctival autograft and topical mitomycin C treatment. Br J Ophthalmol 2000;84:973-78.
3. Ma DHK, See LC, Hwang YS, Wang SF. Comparison of amniotic membrane grafts alone or combined with intraoperative mitomycin C to prevent recurrence after excision of recurrent pterygia. Cornea 2005;24(2):141-50.
4. Cheng HC, Tseng SH, Kao PL, Chen FK. Low-dose Intraoperative Mitomycin C as Chemoadjuvant for Pterygium Surgery. Cornea 2001;20(1):24-9.
5. Lam DSC, Wong AKK, Fan DSP, Chew S, Kwok PSK, Tso MOM. Intraoperative Mitomycin C to prevent recurrence of pterygium after excision. Ophthalmology 1998;105:901-5.
6. Manning CA, Kloess PM, Diaz MD, Yee RW Intraoperative mitomycin C in Primary pterygium excision: a prospective randomized trial. Ophthalmology 1997;104:844-8.
7. Panda A, Das GK, Tuli SW, Kumar A. Randomize trial of intraoperative mitomycin C in surgery for pterygium. Am J Ophthalmol 1998;125:59-63.
8. Luanratanakorn P, Ratanapakorn T, Apichon OS, Chuck RS. Randomized controlled study of conjunctival autograft versus amniotic membrane graft in pterygium excision. Br J Ophthalmol 2006;90:1476-80.
9. Nakamura T, Inatomi T, Sekiyama E, Ang LP, Yokoi N, Kinoshita S. Novel clinical application of sterilized, freeze-dried amniotic membrane to treat patients with pterygium. Acta Ophthalmol Scand 2006;84(3):401-5.
10. Nakamura T, Yoshitani M, Rigby H, Fullwood NJ, Ito W, Inatomi T,et al. Sterilized, freeze dried amniotic: a useful substrate for ocular surface reconstruction. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2004;45(1):93-9.
11. Prabhasawat P, Barton K, Burkett G, Tseng SC. Comparison of conjunctival autografts, amniotic membrane grafts, primary closure of pterygium excision. Ophthalmology 1997;104:974-85.
12. Shimazaki J, Kosaka K, Shimmura S, Tsubota K. Amniotic membrane transplantation with conjunctival autograft for recurrent pterygium. Ophthalmology 2003;110:119-24.
13. Tseng SC, Prabhasawat P. Lee SH, et al. Amniotic membrane transplantation for conjunctival surface reconstruction. Am J Ophthalmol 1997;124:765-74.
14. Kenyon KR, Wagnoner MD, Hettinger ME. Conjunctival autograft transplantation for advanced and recurrent pterygium. Ophthalmology 1985;92:1461-70.
15. Lewallen S. A randomized trial of conjunctival autografting for pterygium in the tropics. Ophthalmology 1989;96:1612-4.
16. Pan HW, Zhong JX, Jing CX. Comparison of fibrin glue versus suture for conjunctival autografting in pterygium surgery: a meta-analysis. Ophthalmology 2011;118(6):1049-54.
17. Jain AK, Bansal R, J Sukhija J. Human amniotic membrane transplantation with fibrin glue in management of primary pterygia. Cornea 2008;27(1):94-9.
18. Kucukerdonmez C, Karalezli A, Akova YA, Borazan M. Amniotic membrane transplantation using fibrin glue in pterygium surgery: a comparative randomize clinical trial. Eye 2010;24:558-66.
19. Noureddin GS, Yeung SN. The use of dry amniotic membrane in pterygium surgery. Clin Ophtahlmol 2016;10:705-12.
20. Rosen R. Amniotic membrane grafts to reduce pterygium recurrence. Cornea 2018; 37(2):189-93.
21. Liu HY, Chen YF, Chen TC, Yeh PT, Hu FR, Chen WL. Surgical result of pterygium extended removal followed by fibrin glue-assisted amniotic membrane transplantation. J Formos Med Assoc 2017;116(1):10-7.
22. Elwan SA. Comparison between sutureless and glue free versus sutured limbal conjunctival autograft in primary pterygium surgery. Saudi J Ophthalmol 2014;28(4):292-8.
23. Noureddin GS, Yeung SN. The use of dry amniotic membrane in pterygium surgery. Clin Ophthalmol 2016;18(10):705-12.
24. Kareem AA, Farhood QK, Alhammami HA. The use of antimetabolites as adjunctive therapy in the surgical treatment of pterygium. Clin Ophthalmol 2012;6:1849-54.
25. Song YW, Yu AH, Cai XJ. Effectiveness of amniotic membrane transplantation combined with mitomycin C in the treatment of pterygium: a meta-analysis. Int J Ophthalmol 2010; 3(4):352-5.
26. Memarzadeh F, Fahd AK, Shamie N, Chuck RS. Comparison of de-epithelialized amniotic membrane transplantation and conjunctival autograft after primary pterygium excision. Eye 2008;22:107-12.
27. Allen CL, Clare G, Stewart EA Branch MJ, Mclntosh OD, Dadhwal M, et al. Augmented dry versus cryopreserved amniotic membrane as an ocular surface dressing. PLos One 2013;8(10):e78441.
28. Song YW, Yu AH, Cai XJ. Effectiveness of amniotic membrane transplantation combine mitomycin C in the treatment of pterygium:a meta-analysis. Int J Ophthalmol 2010;3(4):352-5.
29. Hirst LW, Sebban A, Chant D. Pterygium recuurence time. Ophthalmology 1994;101(4):755-8.