Main Article Content
Objective: To evaluate the visual acuity, refraction and rotational stability after cataract surgery with implantation of toric intraocular lenses (IOLs)
Design: Retrospective descriptive study
Material and Methods: Patients with corneal astigmatism undergoing cataract surgery with implantation of toric IOLs 677TA were reviewed. The uncorrected visual acuity (UCVA), best corrected visual acuity (BCVA) and residual refraction were evaluated at 1, 3, 6 and 12 months postoperatively. The rotational axis of toric IOLs were assessed at 6 and 12 months postoperatively.
The mean uncorrected visual acuity decreased from 0.79 logMAR (range 0.18 to 3.00 logMAR, SD = 0.62) to 0.16 logMAR (range 0.00 to 0.54 logMAR, SD = 0.18) in the first month after the surgery. The mean refractive astigmatism decreased from -1.96 (range –3.75 to -0.50 D, SD = 1.09) to -1.22 D (range -3.50 to -0.25 D, SD = 0.83) in the first month. The UCVA, BCVA and refractive astigmatism values were stable during the 1-year follow-up. Intraoperative to 6 months and 1 year postoperative comparison of IOL axis alignment showed a mean of 10.11 degrees (range -17 to +29 degrees, SD = 7.58) and 10.82 degrees (range -22 to 29 degrees, SD = 8.28) respectively.
The toric IOLs 677TA implantation is the good options to correct preexisting astigmatism in cataract surgery.
Financial Disclosure: No author has a financial or proprietary interest in any material or method
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
2. \Kessel L, Andresen J, Tendal B, Erngaard D, Flesner P, Hjortdal J. Toric Intraocular Lenses in the Correction of Astigmatism During Cataract Surgery: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Ophthalmology. 2016;123(2):275-86.
3. Gyongyossy B, Jirak P, Schonherr U. Long-term rotational stability and visual outcomes of a single-piece hydrophilic acrylic toric IOL: a 1.5-year follow-up. Int J Ophthalmol. 2017;10(4):573-8.
4. Koch DD, Jenkins RB, Weikert MP, Yeu E, Wang L. Correcting astigmatism with toric intraocular lenses: effect of posterior corneal astigmatism. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2013;39(12):1803-9.
5. Leon P, Pastore MR, Zanei A, Umari I, Messai M, Negro C, et al. Correction of low corneal astigmatism in cataract surgery. Int J Ophthalmol. 2015;8(4):719-24.
6. Mohammad-Rabei H, Mohammad-Rabei E, Espandar G, Javadi MA, Jafarinasab MR, Hashemian SJ, et al. Three Methods for Correction of Astigmatism during Phacoemulsification. J Ophthalmic Vis Res. 2016;11(2):162-7.
7. Potvin R, Kramer BA, Hardten DR, Berdahl JP. Toric intraocular lens orientation and residual refractive astigmatism: an analysis. Clin Ophthalmol. 2016;10:1829-36.
8. Ventura BV, Wang L, Weikert MP, Robinson SB, Koch DD. Surgical management of astigmatism with toric intraocular lenses. Arquivos Brasileiros de Oftalmologia. 2014;77(2).
9. Zhang B, Ma JX, Liu DY, Du YH, Guo CR, Cui YX. Optical performance of toric intraocular lenses in the presence of decentration. Int J Ophthalmol. 2015;8(4):730-5.
10. Holladay JT. Visual acuity measurements. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2004;30(2):287-90.
11. Park DY, Lim DH, Hwang S, Hyun J, Chung TY. Comparison of astigmatism prediction error taken with the Pentacam measurements, Baylor nomogram, and Barrett formula for toric intraocular lens implantation. BMC Ophthalmol. 2017;17(1):156.
12. Sano M, Hiraoka T, Ueno Y, Itagaki H, Ogami T, Oshika T. Influence of posterior corneal astigmatism on postoperative refractive astigmatism in pseudophakic eyes after cataract surgery. BMC Ophthalmol. 2016;16(1):212.
13. Zhang B, Ma JX, Liu DY, Guo CR, Du YH, Guo XJ, et al. Effects of posterior corneal astigmatism on the accuracy of AcrySof toric intraocular lens astigmatism correction. Int J Ophthalmol. 2016;9(9):1276-82.