Main Article Content
Background: To report a case of choroidal melanoma in a young Asian lady.
Case Report: A 36 year-old healthy Malay lady presented with left eye progressive, painless, decreasing vision over a year with new onset of excruciating eye pain. Left eye examination showed no light perception, conjunctival chemosis, cornea edema and total hyphema with no fundus view. Intraocular pressure was 42mmHg. B scan ultrasonography revealed retinal detachment with subretinal mass. Right eye was normal. Systemic examination and investigations were unremarkable. Blood investigations including tumour markers were normal. Magnetic resonance imaging of orbits was suggestive of choroidal melanoma with retrobulbar extension. Left eye enucleation was performed and histopathology was consistent with choroidal melanoma. The patient remains under close follow-up with no evidence of recurrence or metastasis.
Conclusion: Although predominantly a disease in elderly, choroidal melanoma needs to be suspected in younger patients with intraocular lesion.
Conflict of interest: none.
2. Chang AE, Karnell LH, Menck HR. The National Cancer Data Base report on cutaneous and noncutaneous melanoma. Cancer. 1998; 83(8):1664-1678.
3. Shields CL. Metastasis of Uveal Melanoma Millimeter-by-Millimeter in 8033 Consecutive Eyes. Archives of Ophthalmology. 2009; 127(8):989.
4. Papastefanou VP, Cohen VML. Uveal Melanoma. Journal of Skin Cancer. 2011; 2011:1-13.
5. Shields CL, Kaliki S, Cohen MN, Shields PW, Furuta M, Shields JA. Prognosis of uveal melanoma based on race in 8100 patients: The 2015 Doyne Lecture. Eye. 2015; 29(8):1027.
6. Shields JA, Shields CL. Tumours of the uveal tract. In: Intraocular Tumours. An Atlas and Textbook. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, PA, USA: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2008: 85–139.
7. Krantz BA, Dave N, Komatsubara KM, Marr BP, Carvajal RD. Uveal melanoma: epidemiology, etiology, and treatment of primary disease. Clinical ophthalmology. 2017; 11:279.
8. Yang J, Manson DK, Marr BP, Carvajal RD. Treatment of uveal melanoma: where are we now? Therapeutic advances in medical oncology. 2018 Feb 20;10:1758834018757175.