Patient's Delay in Medical Treatment and Treatment Seeking Behavior among Tuberculosis Patients in Phrasamut Jaedee Sawattayanon Hospital, SamutPrakan Province
Delayed initiation of treatment among tuberculosis patients was a common problem which might contribute to the high burden of tuberculosis in community. The objectives of this study were to access patient delays and factors of reasons for patients delay and to describe the treatment seeking behavior among tuberculosis patients, by a Hospital-based cross-sectional study design. The result of this study found that, there were 76 cases of tuberculosis patients, 57 cases (75.0%) were delayed more than 3 weeks before seeking treatment. Patients delay was significantly higher among patients who did not suspect that they might have TB (Adjusted OR=2.7, 95%CI = 1.91-9.73, p-value=.005), among those who treated with self-medication (Adjusted OR=3.83, 95%CI = 5.48-13.21, p-value<.001) and among those who thought their illness was not serious (Adjusted OR=4.8, 95%CI = 1.95-10.28,p-value=.002). In conclusion: this unacceptably long patient delay called for identification and inclusion of feasible strategies to promote TB awareness in community and promote early treatment in the National Tuberculosis Control Programme.
2. Tuberculosis Fact Sheet-American Lung Association. 2006
3. กระทรวงสาธารณสุขกรมควบคุมโรค สำนักระบาดวิทยาสรุปรายงานการเฝ้าระวังโรค 2547. โรงพิมพ์องค์การรับส่งสินค้าและพัสดุภัณฑ์ กรุงเทพฯ 2549: 251-3.
4. WHO. Treatment of Tuberculosis: Guidelines for National Programmes. Second eds., Geneva: World Health Organization. 1997.
5. Mesfin MM, Tasew TW, Tareke IG et al. Delays and seeking behavior among tuberculosis patients in Tigray of Nortern Ethiopia. Ethiop. J.health Dev. 2005: 19.
6. Habibullan S, Sadiq A, Awwar T, and Sheikh MA. Diagnostic delay in tuberculosis and its consequences. Pak J Med Sci, 2004; 20 No.3
7. Long NH, Johansson E, Lonnroth k et al. Longer delays in tuberculosis diagnosis among women in Vietnam. Int J Tuberclung Dis. 1999; 3(5): 388-93.
8. Demissie M, Lintjorn B, Berhane Y. Patient and Health Service delay in the diagnosis pulmonary tuberculosis in Ethiopia. BMC Public Health. 2002; 2(1): 23.
Copyright (c) 2007 Disease Control Journal
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Articles published in the Disease Control Journal considered as academic work, research or analysis of personal opinion of the authors, not opinion of the Department of Disease Control or editorial team. The authors must be responsible for their articles.