A case report of radicular cyst of upper maxillary incisor
Radicular cysts are one of the most common odontogenic cysts. Radicular cysts are usually asymptomatic and are left unnoticed until detected by routine radiographic examination. They originate as a result of inflammation due to pulp necrosis or trauma. The purpose of this report was to study about the treatment of radicular cyst. In the case report presented, the 16-year-old male visited the dentist with chief complaint of pain and swelling gum at upper right anterior tooth, which he had been suffering for nearly two years as a result of an accident. Radiographic examination revealed radiolucency around an apex of tooth #11 and 12. The tooth was treated by endodontic treatment and enucleation. Subsequently, the patient had follow-up visits at 3 and 6 months and the success of the treatment was evident both clinically and radiographically during the follow-up period.
2. Joshi NS, Sujan SG, Rachappa MM. An unusual case report of bilateral mandibular radicular cysts. Contemp Clin Dent 2011;2:59-62.
3. Mass E, Kaplan I, Hirshberg A. A clinical and histopathological study of radicular cysts associated with primary molars. J Oral Pathol Med 1995;24:458-61.
4. Shear M. Cysts of the oral regions. 3rd ed. Boston: Wright; 1992.
5. Cawson RA, Odell EW, Porter S. Cawson’s essentials of oral pathology and oral Medicine. 7th ed. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone; 2002.
6. Nrupal P. Histopathological feathers of radicular cyst [Internet]. [cited 2019 Jul 31]. Available from: http://radicularcyst.tripod.com/id5.html
7. Ribeiro Paulo Domingos, Gonçalves Eduardo S, Neto Eduardo S. Surgical approaches of extensive periapical cyst. Considerations about surgical technique. Salusvita Bauru 2004;23:317-28.
8. Riachi F, Tabarani C. Effective management of large radicular cysts using surgical enucleation vs. marsupialization. Int Arab J Dent 2010;1:44-51.
9. Latoo S, Shah AA, Jan SM, Qadir S, Ahmed I, Purra AR, et al. Radicular cyst. JK Science 2009;11:187-9.
10. Weber AL, Kaneda T, Scrivani SJ, Aziz S. Jaw: cysts, tumors and nontumorous lesions. In: Som PM, Curtin HD, editors. Head and neck imaging. 4th ed. St. Louis: Mosby; 2003. p. 930-4.
11. Jansson L, Ehnevid H, Lindskog S, Blomlöf L. Development of periapical lesion. Swed Dent J 1993;17:85-93.
12. Bodner L. Cystic lesions of the jaws in children. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2002;62:25-9.
13. Delilbasi C, Yuzbasioglu E, Aydin K. Complete healing of radicular cysts only by marsupialization. J Clin Case Rep 2012;2:199.
Articles published in the Disease Control Journal considered as academic work, research or analysis of personal opinion of the authors, not opinion of the Department of Disease Control or editorial team. The authors must be responsible for their articles.