Outcome of chronic hepatitis C treatment with pegylated interferon alpha 2a and ribavirin in patients with and without HIV co-infection in resource-constrained setting
This retrospective cohort study was conducted to assess the therapeutic response chronic hepatitis C infection using pegylated interferon alpha 2a with ribavirin comparing HCV/HIV coinfected patients and HCV infected patients without HIV co-infection. The total 111 patients were enrolled into the study during 1 Jan 2004 to 31 Dec 2015, 51 were HCV/HIV coinfected patients and 60 were HCV patients without HIV co-infection. The two study groups were significantly different regarding age (40.4±6.8 vs 48.3±9.1, p<0.05), gender (male 92.3% vs 71.7%, p<0.05, body weight (BW) at the beginning of treatment (62.4±10.0 kg. vs 67.6±13.3 kg., p<0.05) and HCV genotype (p<0.05) The study revealed that the SVR was lower among HCV/HIV coinfected patients (61.3% vs 81.7%, p=0.07), and the RVR was significantly lower compare to HCV patients without coinfection (33.3% vs 68.4%, p<0.05). Multivariate analysis identified EVR as independent predictor of SVR
2. Sunanchaikarn S, Theamboonlers A, Chongsrisawat V, Yoocharoen P, Tharmaphornpilas P, Warinsathien P, et al. Seroepidemiology and genotypes of hepatitis C virus in Thailand. Asian Pac J Allergy Immunol 2007;25:175-82.
3. Jatapai A, Nelson KE, Chuenchitra T, Kana K, Eiumtrakul S, Sunantarod E, et al. Prevalence and risk factors for hepatitis C virus infection among young Thai men. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2010;83:433-9.
4. Sungkanuparph S, Vibhagool A, Manosuthi W, Kiertiburanakul S, Atamasirikul K, Aumkhyan A, et al. Prevalence of hepatitis B virus and hepatitis C virus co-infection with human immunodeficiency virus in Thai patients: a tertiary-care-based study. J Med Assoc Thai 2004; 87:1349-54.
5. Yu ML, Chuang WL. Treatment of chronic hepatitis C in Asia: when East meets West. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2009;24:336-45.
6. McCaughan GW, Omata M, Amarapurkar D, Bowden S, Chow WC, Chutaputti A, et al. Asian Pacific Association for the Study of the Liver consensus statements on the diagnosis, management and treatment of hepatitis C virus infection. J Gastroen Hepatol 2007;22:615- 33.
7. Ferenci P. Reponse guided therapy in patients with chronic hepatitis C - yesterday, today and tomorrow. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 2012;26:463-9.
8. Hofmann WP, Zeuzem S. A new standard of care for the treatment of chronic HCV infection. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 2011;8:257-64.
9. Hepburn MJ, Hepburn LM, Cantu NS, Lapeer MG, Lawitz EJ. Differences in treatment outcome for hepatitis C among ethnic groups. Am J Med 2004;117:163-8.
10. Missiha S, Heathcote J, Arenovich T, Khan K. Impact of asian race on response to combination therapy with peginterferon alfa-2a and ribavirin in chronic hepatitis C. Am J Gastroenterol 2007;102:2181-8.
11. Chavalitdhamrong D, Tanwandee T. Long-term outcomes of chronic hepatitis C patients with sustained virological response at 6 months after the end of treatment. World J Gastroenterol 2006;12:5532-5.
12. Fried MW, Shiffman ML, Reddy KR, Smith C, Marinos G, Gonçales FL Jr, et al. Peginterferon alfa-2a plus ribarin for chronic hepatitis C virus infection. N Engl J Med 2002;347:975-82.
13. Hadziyannis DJ, Sette H, Jr Morgan TR, Balan V, Diago M, Marcellin P, et al. Peginterferon alpha-2a and ribavirin combination therapy in chronic hepatitis C: a randomized study of treatment duration and ribavirin dose. Ann Intern Med 2004;140:346-55.
14. Liu B, Cai WP, Hu FY, Xu M, Lan Y, Tang XP. Differential response to pegylated interferon plus ribavirin combination therapy in chronic hepatitis C and HIV/HCV co-infected patients. Zhonghua Gan Zang Bing Za Zhi 2013;21:829-33
15. Torriani FJ, Rodriguez-Torres M, Rockstroh JK, Lissen E, Gonzalez-García J, Lazzarin A, et al. Peginterferon alfa-2a plus ribavirin for chronic hepatitis C virus infection in HIV-in¬fected patients. N Eng J Med 2004;351:438- 50.
16. Carrat F, Bani-Sadr F, Pol S, Rosenthal E, Lunel-Fabiani F, Benzekri A, et al. Pegylated interferon alfa-2b vs standard interferon alfa-2b, plus ribavirin, for chronic hepatitis C in HIV-infected patients: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2004;292:2839-48.
17. Laguno M, Murillas J, Blanco JL, Martínez E, Miquel R, Sánchez-Tapias, et al. Peginterferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin compared with interferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin for treatment of HIV/HCV co-infected patients. AIDS 2004;18:27-36.
Copyright (c) 2017 Disease Control Journal
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Articles published in the Disease Control Journal considered as academic work, research or analysis of personal opinion of the authors, not opinion of the Department of Disease Control or editorial team. The authors must be responsible for their articles.