Main Article Content
Objectives The predictors of lifetime suicide attempts in patients with major depressive disorder (MDD) is vital to develop the prevention program of suicide attempts. The study aimed to examine the predictors for lifetime suicide attempt in patients with MDD.
Methods Eighty individuals with MDD were recruited to the cross-sectional research study. The C9 question of the M.I.N.I was used to evaluating the lifetime suicide attempt. The Thai version of the World Health Organization Quality of Life-BREF was utilized to measure the quality of life. Six Social Support Deficits were used to measure social support. Univariate analyses with Chi-square, Fisher Exact test and Independent t-test were used to determine the associations of variables and the lifetime suicide attempt. Multivariate logistic regression was performed to identify the predictors for lifetime suicide attempt.
Results The results illustrated that suicidal ideas, history of psychiatric hospitalization, untreated illness, smoking, lower quality of life in environmental domain and difficulty in relationship with relatives were significantly associated with lifetime suicide attempt. Logistic regression revealed that history of untreated illness, psychiatric hospitalization and difficulty in relationship with relatives were the strongest predictors for lifetime suicide attempt with the odds ratios (ORs) of 1.24, 18.47 and 21.70, respectively (Nagelkerke R2=52.9%).
Conclusions Lifetime suicide attempt is typical in individuals with MDD. It is associated with suicidal ideation, history of psychiatric hospitalization, untreated illness, smoking, lower quality of life in environmental domain, and difficulty in relationship with relatives. Early detection and exploring family problems as well as promoting the relationships between family members should be of focus in individuals with MDD.
2. Bernal M, Haro JM, Bernert S, Brugha T, de Graaf R, Bruffaerts R, et al. Risk factors for suicidality in Europe: results from the ESEMED study. J Affect Disord. 2007;101:27-34.
3. Borges G, Nock MK, Haro Abad JM, Hwang I, Sampson NA, Alonso J, et al. Twelve-month prevalence of and risk factors for suicide attempts in the World Health Organization World Mental Health Surveys. J Clin Psychiatry. 2010;71:1617-28.
4. Li N, Zhang J. Influencing factors for depression among Chinese suicide survivors. Psychiatry research. 2010;178:97-100.
5. World Health Organization. Depression: let’s talk [Internet] 2017. [cited 2019 August 9]. [Available from: http://www.who.int/mental_health/management/depression/en.
6. Chang B, Gitlin D, Patel R. The depressed patient and suicidal patient in the emergency department: evidence-based management and treatment strategies. Emerg Med Pract. 2011;13:1-23; quiz -4.
7. Health Nutrition and Population Statistics - World Bank. Suicide mortality rate (per 100,000 population) [Internet] 2017. [cited 2019 July 23]. [Available from: https://www.populationpyramid.net/thailand/2019.
8. Trangkasombat U. Family therapy and family counselling. 2nd ed. Bangkok: Cinta; 2011.
9. Kittirattanapaiboon P, Tantirangsee N, Chutha W, Tantiaree A, Kwansanit P, Assanangkornchai S. Prevalence of Mental Disorders and Mental Health Problems: Thai National Mental Health Survey 2013. The Journal of Mental Health of Thailand. 2017;25:1-19.
10. Sriruenthong W, Kongsuk T, Pangchuntr W, Kittirattanapaiboon P, Kenbubpha K, Yingyeun R, et al. The Suicidality in Thai population: A National survey. J Psychiatr Assoc Thailand. 2011;56:413-24.
11. Department of Mental Health MoPH. Suicide Rate Per 100,000 Population [Internet] 2017. [cited 2019 November 23]. Available from: https://www.dmh.go.th/report/suicide/download.
12. Medical Record Unit of Maharat Nakhon Chiang Mai Hospital. Statistics of psychiatric out patients department. Chiang Mai: Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University; 2018.
13. HD Editorial Team. Why do people attempt suicide [Internet] 2019. [updated 25 March 2020]. [cited 2020 March 31]. Available from: https://www.honestdocs.co/why-people-are-suicide.
14. Prescribed Benzodiazepines and Suicide Risk: A Review of the Literature [Internet]. 2017. [cited 2020 March 2]. Available from: http://www.psychiatrist.com/PCC/article/_layouts/ppp.psych.controls/BinaryViewer.ashx?Article=/PCC/article/Pages/2017/v19n02/16r02037.aspx&Type=Article.
15. Hawton K, van Heeringen K. Suicide. Lancet. 2009;373(9672):1372-81.
16. World Health Organization. Suicide [Internet] 2019 [updated 2 September 2019. [cited 2020 March 2]. Available from: https://www.who.int/en/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/suicide.
17. Ruengorn C, Sanichwankul K, Niwatananun W, Mahatnirunkul S, Pumpaisalchai W, Patumanond J. Factors related to suicide attempts among individuals with major depressive disorder. Int J Gen Med. 2012;5:323-30.
18. Khamma A. Risk factors associated with suicide: a case-control study in sukhothai province. J Psychiatr Assoc Thailand. 2013;58: 3-16.
19. Chansarn S. Quality of life of Thai people: the implication from suicide statistic. Panyapiwat Journal. 2014;2:50-65.
20. Meyer RE, Salzman C, Youngstrom EA, Clayton PJ, Goodwin FK, Mann JJ, et al. Suicidality and risk of suicide--definition, drug safety concerns, and a necessary target for drug development: a consensus statement. J Clin Psychiatry. 2010;71:e1-e21.
21. Nortun J, Jenjai C, Ruengorn C. Prevalence and factors associated with suicidal behavior in patients with mental and behavioral disorder due to alcohol. Journal of Health Systems Research. 2016;10:137-51.
22. Prateepteranun W. Rate of suicide and factors related to suicidal behaviors of the Chaophrayayommarat hospital in Suphanburi Province. The Journal of Psychiatric Nursing and Mental Health. 2014;28:90-103.
23. Rungreangkulkij S, Thamnoi R, Anusak B. Experience of Suicide Attempt: Gender differences. Journal of Psychiatric Association Thailand. 2013;58:245-56.
24. Daniel WW. Biostatistics: a foundation for analysis in the health sciences. 9th ed. New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons; 2009.
25. Kessler RC, McGonagle KA, Zhao S, Nelson CB, Hughes M, Eshleman S, et al. Lifetime and 12-month prevalence of DSM-III-R psychiatric disorders in the United States. Results from the National Comorbidity Survey. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1994;51:8-19.
26. Kittirattanapaiboon P, Arunpongpaisal S, Mahatnirunkul S, Kongsuk T, Choovong K, Booncharoen H, et al. Mini international neuropsychiatric interview Thai version 5.0.0-revised 2007 [Internet] 2007. [cited 2019 Autust 11]. [Available from: http://www.skph.go.th/newskph/Doc_file/Miti4_MINIInterview5.0.pdf.
27. Department of Mental Health MoPH. The Thai abbreviated version of World Health Organization quality of life (WHOQOL-BREF-THAI) [Internet] 2002. [cited 2019 August 11]. Available from: https://www.dmh.go.th/test/download/files/whoqol.pdf.
28. Suttajit S, Punpuing S, Jirapramukpitak T, Tangchonlatip K, Darawuttimaprakorn N, Stewart R, et al. Impairment, disability, social support and depression among older parents in rural Thailand. Psychol Med. 2010;40:1711-21.
29. Srisatidnarakul B. The methodology in nursing research. Bangkok: U&I Intermedia; 2009.
30. Rungruanghiranya S, Khongsakon R. Toxicity and management of tobacco dependence. Bangkok: Saha Pracha Panich; 2009.
31. Khunarak U. Factors affecting quality of life in outpatients with depressive disorder at Somdet Chaopraya Institute of Psychiatry. The Journal Of Psychiatric Nursing And Mental Health. 2011;25:42-54.
32. Hongsrisuwan N. Depression. HCU Journal of Health Science. 2016;19:105-18.
33. Lotrakul M. Accurately of major depressive disorder [Internet] 2014 [updated 9 march 2020]. [cited 2020 April 7]. Available from: https://med.mahidol.ac.th/ramamental/generalknowledge/general/09042014-1017.
34. Thongchai W, Sangchot W, Bamrungchaokasem K. Causes of police officer suicide: case study in police officer suicide during 2012-2013. Thai Journal of Clinical Psychology. 2015;46:30-9.
35. Diekstra RF. The epidemiology of suicide and parasuicide. Acta Psychiatr Scand Suppl. 1993;371:9-20.
36. Charoensri H, Khiewyoo J. Suicidal Risk Preva-lence and Factors Related to Suicidal Risk Among People in Ban Tak District, Tak Province. KKU Research Journal. 2017;17:77-93.
37. Chan-ame S. Mental Health. 2nd ed. Bangkok: Pharepitaya International; 1978.
38. Rungsang B, Chaimongkol N, Deoisres W. Predictors of Suicidal Ideation among Thai Adolescents. Journal of The Royal Thai Army Nurses. 2017;18:64-75.
39. Ukraisa S, Rungsayatorn S. Family relationship and adversity quotient, and prevention of commit suicide at-risk of public university students. Kasetsart Journal: Social Science. 2009;30:156-68.